C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Strange problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Strange problem

Took my baby out to stretch her legs out the other day. It was a warm spring day here in Texas (about 97 degrees).
The car normally runs about 190-205 degrees even on the hottest of days.
Today I had been driving about 30 miles and the temp was running as normal. But, as I happen to glance down at the temp (the digital gauge) and I noticed the temp kept rising slowly to about 220 which it never does and also noticed it was running a bit sluggish too.
Well got to my destination and after about 45 minutes I jumped back in and she drove perfect on the way back. The temp never went above 207 and went even a bit lower (highway speeds at about 75 MPH) and the sluggish feeling was gone.
Now, I did jump on it once and it down shifted and it did fall on it face but after it shifted into the next gear still at WOT ran strong.
As I was close to home and on a nice flat country road I tried a WOT one more time from a dead stop and it again it fell on it face in first but after that and going through the rest of the gears she ran like a spotted a$$ed ape right up to about 100 MPH when I shut her down.
BTW it's a 92 LT1 with a auto tranny with about 55k on the clock.

I'm leaning toward a fuel pump but the last time it did the "fall on its face thing" I put a gauge on it and naturally it wouldn't act up then.

But even at that time, the temp and sluggishness wasn't an issue.
Now I don't have the fuel pressure gauge available to use.
Old 06-12-2015, 05:36 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Smokeysvette
Took my baby out to stretch her legs out the other day. It was a warm spring day here in Texas (about 97 degrees).
The car normally runs about 190-205 degrees even on the hottest of days.
Today I had been driving about 30 miles and the temp was running as normal. But, as I happen to glance down at the temp (the digital gauge) and I noticed the temp kept rising slowly to about 220 which it never does and also noticed it was running a bit sluggish too.
Well got to my destination and after about 45 minutes I jumped back in and she drove perfect on the way back. The temp never went above 207 and went even a bit lower (highway speeds at about 75 MPH) and the sluggish feeling was gone.
Now, I did jump on it once and it down shifted and it did fall on it face but after it shifted into the next gear still at WOT ran strong.
As I was close to home and on a nice flat country road I tried a WOT one more time from a dead stop and it again it fell on it face in first but after that and going through the rest of the gears she ran like a spotted a$$ed ape right up to about 100 MPH when I shut her down.
BTW it's a 92 LT1 with a auto tranny with about 55k on the clock.

I'm leaning toward a fuel pump but the last time it did the "fall on its face thing" I put a gauge on it and naturally it wouldn't act up then.

But even at that time, the temp and sluggishness wasn't an issue.
Now I don't have the fuel pressure gauge available to use.
Are the o2's original.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:30 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

n'of;
What
Old 06-13-2015, 01:31 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Are the o2's original.
Yes the O2's are original as far as I know. I have only had the car for about 5 years though. BTW it throwing no codes at all.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:33 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

What
Sorry the key board slipped...LOL
Old 06-13-2015, 01:35 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Yes the O2's are original as far as I know. I have only had the car for about 5 years though. BTW it throwing no codes at all.
My 94 showed no codes but would bog and backfire under the hood changed the o2's what a differance.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:43 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

My 94 showed no codes but would bog and backfire under the hood changed the o2's what a differance.
Thanks antfarmer2. OK, I could try that but hate throwing parts at it but who knows. Mine doesn't backfire under the hood though just falls on it's face when you first go WOT then once it does it, it takes off great and it'll run up to at least 100 (i could keep going) with out anymore problems.
Like I mentioned no codes at all.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:08 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Thanks antfarmer2. OK, I could try that but hate throwing parts at it but who knows. Mine doesn't backfire under the hood though just falls on it's face when you first go WOT then once it does it, it takes off great and it'll run up to at least 100 (i could keep going) with out anymore problems.
Like I mentioned no codes at all.
I am not one to throw parts either but o2's get old and slow and mine were 20 years old. Mine started as a hesitation then fell on it's face when jumed on then got worse all with no codes. Do a fuel pressure test and see what others say. with the new o2's it never ran better wish I had not waited so long.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

I am not one to throw parts either but o2's get old and slow and mine were 20 years old. Mine started as a hesitation then fell on it's face when jumed on then got worse all with no codes. Do a fuel pressure test and see what others say. with the new o2's it never ran better wish I had not waited so long.
Ok! Sound logical and I'll try it and change them out. I think I have two but haven't really looked but I''l change them and see what happens and report what happens. Thanks again
Old 06-13-2015, 02:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Ok! Sound logical and I'll try it and change them out. I think I have two but haven't really looked but I''l change them and see what happens and report what happens. Thanks again
You can get the o2 sockets from orielys for $20 deposit or buy them for $25 use the short one. I used bocsh sensors.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange problem

Quick Reply: Strange problem