C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Exotic car driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Default Exotic car driving experience

I Drove a Ferrari 458 Italian today at Thompson Speedway today (it was a Christmas present) and I have greater appreciation for my C4.
Yes the Ferrari is faster than my GrandSport but the Ferrari is sterile no raw feeling. I also was not impressed with the handling as it had more understeer than i thought it would but it was a fairly tight autocross type course.
We had to leave all the electronic nannies left on and it was mostly a second gear course but I did get it into third gear on three of the 5 laps I drove. I also had the nanny lights, bells, and whistles going off as I was going through the corners
it was fun and I am glad I drove a Ferrari but my reasonably priced Vette still feels great right after driving that $250,000 exotic.
Old 06-13-2015, 11:24 PM
vert vette virgin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered doing that this summer with a half off Groupon deal at Michigan International Speedway. Woulda been$250 for 3 laps. Figures there would be all sorts of restrictions. I did do 160mph once on a local U.S. highway in a 911 turbo. It was still climbing but I lost my nerve.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt
I Drove a Ferrari 458 Italian today at Thompson Speedway today (it was a Christmas present) and I have greater appreciation for my C4.
Yes the Ferrari is faster than my GrandSport but the Ferrari is sterile no raw feeling. I also was not impressed with the handling as it had more understeer than i thought it would but it was a fairly tight autocross type course.
We had to leave all the electronic nannies left on and it was mostly a second gear course but I did get it into third gear on three of the 5 laps I drove. I also had the nanny lights, bells, and whistles going off as I was going through the corners
it was fun and I am glad I drove a Ferrari but my reasonably priced Vette still feels great right after driving that $250,000 exotic.
Ha ha ha...I did the Exotic Driving Experience in Vegas about 3 years ago. I picked the Ferrari F430 and the Lamborghini Gallardo LP550. My Ferrari had the same "issues" as yours; way over intrusive active handling, ABS and TC...the brakes were bad and it broke right after I was done driving it. Power felt way down on it....I was very disappointed as I expected the Ferrari to be the "money" and it wasn't. Not that one, anyway. The Lambo on the other hand....WOOO-WHEEE!

SUPER COOL CAR-GUY WEEKEND
Old 06-15-2015, 06:54 AM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

The Ferrari was not what I expected considering the price and prestige.I thought the experience would blow me away but it didn't. Don't get me wrong I had fun just a bit disappointed in the performance of the Ferrari 458 Italia.
No breakdowns on the Ferrari, the Lamborghini Gallardo, or they Mercedes SLS but they did pop the bonnet on the Ferrari in between runs because of excess heat.
I like my Vette
E=Tom400CFI;1589840442]Ha ha ha...I did the Exotic Driving Experience in Vegas about 3 years ago. I picked the Ferrari F430 and the Lamborghini Gallardo LP550. My Ferrari had the same "issues" as yours; way over intrusive active handling, ABS and TC...the brakes were bad and it broke right after I was done driving it. Power felt way down on it....I was very disappointed as I expected the Ferrari to be the "money" and it wasn't. Not that one, anyway. The Lambo on the other hand....WOOO-WHEEE!

SUPER COOL CAR-GUY WEEKEND[/QUOTE]
Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My son and I did this a while back and drove the Ferrari just so we would have that experience. My son drove the 430, and I drove a 458. It was a nice experience, but it also reinforced to me that I had the right car for me in the Vette. It has okay power; I am able to work on it, and I don't worry too much about it getting a little ding or whatever since it has about 160,000 and is not car show perfect. I would be nervous about all of that any time I drove it if it was one of the new Ferraris.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:44 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Drivening the Z around all day would be my dream job!

Get notified of new replies

To Exotic car driving experience

Quick Reply: Exotic car driving experience