Pics of tunnel behind plate

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:27 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
LOL I would be so mad if I went to look at a Corvette to buy and someone had done that
Done what?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:47 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by kimmer
Done what?
I think he is reffering to the white Vette.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:02 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Next question is now that I have the foam cut out from the front, how the hell did you guys cut out the back piece. I see some have drilled holes but if I want to run a tunnel space is very tight for cutting. Also what did you use to cut with.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:39 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Next question is now that I have the foam cut out from the front, how the hell did you guys cut out the back piece. I see some have drilled holes but if I want to run a tunnel space is very tight for cutting. Also what did you use to cut with.
First, I used a long 1/4" bit to cut pilot holes for a hole saw. Then, I attached several extensions between the drill and a 2-1/2" hole saw and, using the template you can see from the link I posted, above, I drilled three holes.

The piece you're looking at through the foam is actually a 3-sided U-channel that makes up a crossmember. I don't think it's a structural piece (some guys just cut it away) but, because I wasn't sure, I decided to drill it instead of cut it.

That piece would be much easier to deal with if you remove your hood and work from the top. I was working alone and didn't want to fool with trying to get my hood lined up again. If I had removed my hood, I would have drilled or cut the top of the crossmember instead of the front. This way the air would hit the back (inside) of the U-channel and been forced upward. But, because I drilled the front, I made a little air dam which runs from the holes, up to the air filter. I also drilled out the rivets in my air filter and turned the air horn around to catch the cool air from below (it normally points upward; mine now points downward).

Old 06-30-2015, 11:46 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Here's a pic from the top of someone who cut out the top of the U-channel. HI'm not sure how he did it but from the shavings it looks like a hack saw blade or long saws-all blade. From this you can see how the air will hit the back of the U-channel and be directed upward.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

I found a pic of my template for the hole saw. You can clearly see the U-channel. The template is taped to the back of it (what would be the bottom of the U).

Old 06-30-2015, 11:55 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Here are some pics of my air filter mod. The first one shows the stock air filter with the five rivets drilled out.

The second pic shows the air horn turned around a a 3/4" spacer I used to increase the inlet (probably unnecessary but what the hay).

Old 07-01-2015, 03:27 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

In window 25 is what mine looks like now. After looking at it and seeing how the air would flow with the hood closed it seems that cutting a hole in the bottom of the filter housing would be the way to get the cool air in better.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:17 PM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

In window 25 is what mine looks like now. After looking at it and seeing how the air would flow with the hood closed it seems that cutting a hole in the bottom of the filter housing would be the way to get the cool air in better.
Why ruin your air filter housing? Just drill out the five little rivets and turn your air horn around so it's picking air up from below, instead of from above (Post #27). You can then either screw or pop-rivet the air horn back onto the housing.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:47 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

C4 of the Year Finalist

Sorry did not mean the filter housing meant the shroud below it. Bty my housing and horn look diff from yours also I already had the air filter top cut off mod.

Last edited by kimmer; 07-01-2015 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:05 PM
Log456
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine $7

Quick Reply: Pics of tunnel behind plate