C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1992 Corvette clutch vs 2005 CTS V Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 04:32 PM
Tha shu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Corvette clutch vs 2005 CTS V Clutch

So I apologize if this seems like a stupid question/situation, but I just don't have enough experience with manual cars to judge this.

I drive a 1992 Corvette with a six-speed. It's the only manual car I've ever owned and driven extensively. I haven't driven another manual car in over 4 years. I recently went to test-drive a 2005 CTS V, and the first thing I noticed was that the clutch seemed extremely light and I caught myself letting the clutch hit the floor numerous times.

The CTS V shifted fine and didn't feel spongy, just felt really light, but I just couldn't help but worry if the clutch was going out on it. However, when I got back into my vette, I noticed that the clutch felt extremely heavy.

Would the clutch on my vette feel that much heavier normally, or is there likely a problem with the CTS V's clutch?

I plan on getting the CTS V checked out by my mechanic anyways, but I just wanted to get other's input. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:21 PM
daverulz
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Every car's clutch has a different characteristic to how it engages. My brother has an 05 CTS-V, and while I haven't driven it recently back to back with my 'Vette, my experience in general has been that newer cars have a lighter feeling clutch.

One question:

"I caught myself letting the clutch hit the floor numerous times"

Isn't that SOP for clutch engagement in a typical passenger vehicle? Push it all the way in? That's the way I was taught anyways. I understand that so long as the clutch is disengaged, you don't *have* to push it in all the way, and that might aid in faster shifts, but in a car that is unfamiliar to you why would you not push it all the way to the floor to ensure full disengagement? We're not talking about a heavy duty truck with a clutch brake. Although I suppose if you were used to driving one of those, you might have different habits.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Tha shu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your response.

Regarding the clutch hitting the floor, it was while the car was already in motion. I just caught myself a couple times pushing the clutch down to the floor, something that I never do with my Corvette.

As I said, I don't have a ton of experience with manual cars outside of my own Corvette, which I've heard has a heavier clutch than newer Corvettes. Just wasn't sure if it would be that drastic.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:28 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

You should always push the clutch all the way down to the floor, especially with your ZF6 in your 92' if you want it to last.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Corvette clutch vs 2005 CTS V Clutch

Quick Reply: 1992 Corvette clutch vs 2005 CTS V Clutch