C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Photoguy000
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Advice

OK, so thanks in advance. I'm sure this is probably simpler than I think, but I'm going to ask anyway.

So I have an opportunity to buy a pretty pristine 1990 ZR-1 with 18k miles on it also with a very low vin # (in the 200s, but I don't remember where exactly). But it would require getting rid of my 92 LT-1.

Wife is on board and is even pushing me towards it (she is a keeper), even though she loves our 92. In fact we drove it to our wedding and got married in it. Maybe I'm just struggling a little because the 92 was my baby for so long and it's been a great great car! I never thought I'd have one until I found this one for $8k a few years ago and I've fixed a lot of little things along the way. Didn't think a ZR-1 would be possible for me with the prices as they were, until this opportunity came up.

I know that a lot of folks would say they would love the opportunity to own a ZR-1 (I'm one of them which is why I'm considering this), but I'm wondering if anybody here has given up a car that they loved to buy one? If so, was it worth it? Anybody miss the car they traded/wish they didn't do it?

Also full disclosure.

We also have a 1988 in such immaculate condition that it won second place in the C4's in a Vette show last weekend while Dirty (out of 15 cars). Maybe a fluke, but she's in great shape to say the least. She is in such good shape in fact that when we got her she me realize things that are wrong with the 92 that I had no idea were wrong. This would not be the case with the ZR-1 as it's in almost equivalent shape and the 18k miles gives me confidence someone has enjoyed her at least a bit between waxings. Also, we discussed just buying the ZR-1 to add to the group to make three, but we have no place to put one of them them. Two car garage, single lane driveway already causes enough troubles with two vettes and two DD's.

Appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Photoguy000
OK, so thanks in advance. I'm sure this is probably simpler than I think, but I'm going to ask anyway.

So I have an opportunity to buy a pretty pristine 1990 ZR-1 with 18k miles on it also with a very low vin # (in the 200s, but I don't remember where exactly). But it would require getting rid of my 92 LT-1.

Wife is on board and is even pushing me towards it (she is a keeper), even though she loves our 92. In fact we drove it to our wedding and got married in it. Maybe I'm just struggling a little because the 92 was my baby for so long and it's been a great great car! I never thought I'd have one until I found this one for $8k a few years ago and I've fixed a lot of little things along the way. Didn't think a ZR-1 would be possible for me with the prices as they were, until this opportunity came up.

I know that a lot of folks would say they would love the opportunity to own a ZR-1 (I'm one of them which is why I'm considering this), but I'm wondering if anybody here has given up a car that they loved to buy one? If so, was it worth it? Anybody miss the car they traded/wish they didn't do it?

Also full disclosure.

We also have a 1988 in such immaculate condition that it won second place in the C4's in a Vette show last weekend while Dirty (out of 15 cars). Maybe a fluke, but she's in great shape to say the least. She is in such good shape in fact that when we got her she me realize things that are wrong with the 92 that I had no idea were wrong. This would not be the case with the ZR-1 as it's in almost equivalent shape and the 18k miles gives me confidence someone has enjoyed her at least a bit between waxings. Also, we discussed just buying the ZR-1 to add to the group to make three, but we have no place to put one of them them. Two car garage, single lane driveway already causes enough troubles with two vettes and two DD's.

Appreciate any insight! Thanks in advance!
I'd keep what you've put so much time into.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:19 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Well... I'm in the ZR-1 camp and while I still have an LT1 as a DD. I did just last year sell my LT4 CE and my C5 to get a second ZR-1. If your going to own a C4 and can own a ZR-1 why not own a part of Corvette history.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:40 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

Originally Posted by We Gone
Well... I'm in the ZR-1 camp and while I still have an LT1 as a DD. I did just last year sell my LT4 CE and my C5 to get a second ZR-1. If your going to own a C4 and can own a ZR-1 why not own a part of Corvette history.
Gave up a LT4 CE and a C5 for another ZR-1? That's dedication.

I've found that ZR-1 owners are incredibly loyal to their cars and I'm really leaning towards the ZR-1 as an incredible car and a part of history. I've been looking at them for a while, but have been holding off but then this one popped up not even a mile down the road from me.

I feel like at this point if it works smoothly in the way I want it'll happen. If there is a lot of difficulty then I'll walk. It's not exactly like it's a Necessary purchase or anything...
Old 06-27-2015, 03:03 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Photoguy000
Gave up a LT4 CE and a C5 for another ZR-1? That's dedication.

I've found that ZR-1 owners are incredibly loyal to their cars and I'm really leaning towards the ZR-1 as an incredible car and a part of history. I've been looking at them for a while, but have been holding off but then this one popped up not even a mile down the road from me.

I feel like at this point if it works smoothly in the way I want it'll happen. If there is a lot of difficulty then I'll walk. It's not exactly like it's a Necessary purchase or anything...
I wish you the best of luck, I've had my Blue 91 for over 13 years and never had any issues with it. I sold the LT4 and C5 for th 93 Yellow/White it is 1 of only 2 ever built in that color combo. Check out the ZR-1 net if you have not lots of great info and most the ZR-1 owners are on the site. You won't find a better group of guys.

http://zr1netregistry.com/Home.aspx
Old 06-27-2015, 04:10 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I think in the long run, a Z car is a better option. Lots of 92s made. But, you have put your heart into the 92. Hard choice. I know, if its priced cheap enough, let me buy it, I live in Avon., lol
Old 06-27-2015, 04:15 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Time to move to the country and get a big shop
Old 06-27-2015, 04:56 PM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Get rid of the 1988 and get the Z. Another option add another garage
Old 06-27-2015, 06:22 PM
kimmer
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts
C4 of the Year Finalist

Build another garage, I know how you feel I put so much time into my 92 that I dont think I will ever sell it though I did put it up for sale once. The chance to own a Z is very exciting so buy it and keep your others.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Photoguy000
Racer

Originally Posted by kimmer
Build another garage, I know how you feel I put so much time into my 92 that I dont think I will ever sell it though I did put it up for sale once. The chance to own a Z is very exciting so buy it and keep your others.
I love where your head is at, unfortunately living in the city (being pretty much right on top of our neighbors) prohibits building another garage.

I DO have off site storage available that I've used periodically, but I don't really want to put one of the cars there for what is essentially permanently considering that having all three at home would mean one would have to sit outside....

YES I did consider a lift to stack two cars, but my garage is not tall enough.

Also at this point It's looking like the ZR-1 is going to win. Love our 92, but I think that the opportunity and potential smiles are going to be worth it.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:06 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 207 Posts

If you can pull it off, and it sounds like you can, you have to do the ZR1. It is a piece of Corvette history.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:23 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I could argue for or against. My LT1 car was something I almost broke even on when I sold it, but my low mile 91 ZR-1 was something I let no detail slide and no repair left un-done. That definitely cost more and maybe took away from the ownership experience considering how these cars continue to depreciate, but out given the choice of a newer 5 liter mustang, my LS3 C6, or my 91 ZR-1, I chose to put 100 miles on my ZR-1 this weekend.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:26 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would sell. get the ZR1.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Just my opinion, but I have thought about Z's before but over the time I've had my 91 and 96 I notice that the parts are a little more difficult to obtain and can cost a little more on the Z's. There is no handling advantage with a Z over a z-51 or z07, it is just the engine, which I will say is an awesome engine. The z is limited production, but I myself would not get rid of my 96 to get a Z. I wouldn't trade the 91 for anything. And I'm sure Z owners feel the same way. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I've been faced with the same dilemma at the time my Z became available. I had a pristine 95 M6 black/black that I loved and was perfect in every way. But, after I test drove the (stock) 90 Z, I knew I'd found my next car - and I never looked back...well almost never. (I wish I could have afforded to keep them both. I could now, but at the time, disposable $$ was too tight.)

Do whatcha gotta do to get the Z! You won't regret it (I never have!).
Old 07-01-2015, 12:47 PM
tenaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 90 zr1

I don't know what the gentleman is asking for the zr1 in Indianapolis but here's one in NH with 13,100 miles for 18k.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5088129983.html
Old 07-01-2015, 02:06 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sell them both and get the ZR-1.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:51 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tenaus
I don't know what the gentleman is asking for the zr1 in Indianapolis but here's one in NH with 13,100 miles for 18k.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/5088129983.html
wow! not bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Advice

Quick Reply: Advice