C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Stereo system

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:52 PM
Klgrayson
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stereo system

Another problem in the life of a 1984,My speakers only work on the passenger side front and back and will work individually on passenger side front and back. Driver side totally in-active. It is a Bose system any one with a suggestionwill gladly welcome
Old 06-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Klgrayson
Another problem in the life of a 1984,My speakers only work on the passenger side front and back and will work individually on passenger side front and back. Driver side totally in-active. It is a Bose system any one with a suggestion will gladly welcome
could be amps in speakers or the radio. You need to swap non working speakers to known working side to trouble shoot the speakers.
Also try wriggling all the ***** on the radio with a little muscle.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:46 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

If the Amps in the door have gone bad then I would think about installing a new head unit to replace the Bose head unit. Pulling the door innards out to replace the amps is one big PITA. You can use the stock speaker wiring if you don't add an external Amp. Get 3 way 6 X 9’s for the rear and pick what will fit in the front door stock speaker housing. I chose 4 in. 4 way speakers. Only a slight modification to install.
I got rid of my 88 Bose and never looked back.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Klgrayson
Another problem in the life of a 1984,My speakers only work on the passenger side front and back and will work individually on passenger side front and back. Driver side totally in-active. It is a Bose system any one with a suggestionwill gladly welcome
My 1984 originally had a non-Bose Delco AM/FM Cassette in it... It was crappy the volume would go up and down occasionally... One of the segments in the display was out... and the cassette didn't work with a line-in device I tried...

Soo... I yanked it out and the stock 4x6" speakers from the dash... put in a lovely Kenwood with Bluetooth, HD radio, XMSirius Ready and front USB and AUX ports and will play MP3 from CDR. $150 or so off amazon... and a pair of SSL GS246 4x6" 2 way speakers (around $25 for the pair off Amazon) for the dash... previous owner had already put some 6x9 3 ways of unknown brand in the back which seem to be O.K. I was going to get some SSL GS369 6x9" (around $30 from amazon) 3-way speakers for the rear if the ones in there weren't good.

Anyway... I also got a Scosche 2 DIN to 1 DIN faceplate adapter kit (around $12) and a Metra wiring harness adapter kit (around $8) off amazon...

So huge improvement in sound for not a huge amount of $$$.

Oh... Edit to add, the model receiver I bought was a Kenwood KDC-BT762HD

Last edited by softwarejanitor; 06-29-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through the same thing with my 94 with the Bose Gold system. The best decision I made was scrapping the bose altogether, and installing new wiring, speakers, and a stereo. Budget 8 hours of straightforward, simple work. It's worth it.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:17 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR
I just went through the same thing with my 94 with the Bose Gold system. The best decision I made was scrapping the bose altogether, and installing new wiring, speakers, and a stereo. Budget 8 hours of straightforward, simple work. It's worth it.
There are places that can rebuild the Bose amps and head units when they go out but unless you have an NCRS worthy show car it isn't really worth it. Carefully box up and save the Bose system for some future owner if that is what they want... then put in a modern system so you can get features like Bluetooth, MP3 playing from USB stick, HD radio, SiriusXM, etc...
Old 06-30-2015, 03:06 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
There are places that can rebuild the Bose amps and head units when they go out but unless you have an NCRS worthy show car it isn't really worth it. Carefully box up and save the Bose system for some future owner if that is what they want... then put in a modern system so you can get features like Bluetooth, MP3 playing from USB stick, HD radio, SiriusXM, etc...
Yeah, mine went into the electronics recycling bin. If someone wants that trash they're out of their minds.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:29 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR
Yeah, mine went into the electronics recycling bin. If someone wants that trash they're out of their minds.
Crazy as it may be at some point junk like that becomes valuable. A while back I sold a Delco AM radio that came out of a 1971 Chevelle I used to have for a lot more money than I would have thought. It had been kicking around my garage since the mid 1980s when I yanked it out of that car and put in I think it was a Sanyo AM/FM Cassette unit with a pair of MGT 3-way speakers in the rear deck. I thought I was in auto sound heaven...
Old 06-30-2015, 04:33 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Ha! Check this out... This looks like the unit I had back then... I think I paid less than 1/2 what they want for this one new back in the day...

http://www.jackbergsales.com/electro...StereoDeck.htm

State of the art features back then like autoreverse and Dolby noise reduction!

Get notified of new replies

To Stereo system

Quick Reply: Stereo system