C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1993 corvette mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:58 PM
ruby1993red
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by enventr
If you do not wrench on your cars and want a mechanic ask your local corvette club who they use. As mentioned you could save a lot by doing your own work. This forum has many knowledgeable people on it. Don't take it to a Chevrolet dealer .
I got two recommendations in the Pittsburgh area. Thanks for the tip. Trying to diagnose with help by other members.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:02 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by ruby1993red
Where is the VSS?
Side of tranmission.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Code 72- VSS signal circuit error. Check the VSS and circuit for short to ground or open circuit, a bare wire can cause an intermittent problem. Verify this first. Also check the VSS to make sure no excessive material has built up on the magnetic end, such material from the transmission wearing over a period of time cause deposit fine shavings on sensor head interfering with sensor operation. Wipe clean with paper (not cloth) towel to remove material and reinstall. A newly rebuilt transmission can deposit these quick enough as the transmission is "breaking in". If all else checks out, replace sensor.

Code 73- Pressure control solenoid. (1994-95). Check the pressure solenoid. Normal resistance is between 3-8 ohms at 20C (68F).Replace if out of range. Check lines for damage. Check for clogged filter and replace f necessary.

Code 74- Traction control system (1994-95 F & Y body). Low voltage indicated in traction control circuit. Check for shorted to ground or open circuit.
http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/
is what I use, and according the that page module 1 is CCM and codes...
72 - LCD dimming output circuit open or shorted to ground
74 - LED display dimming output circuit open or shorted to ground

If the OP got it wrong and they are from module 4 then you are correct.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:35 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Since it lights while cranking, opti spark is good
Next, I would check for spark at the coil.
Then, fuel pressure
Old 07-01-2015, 03:56 PM
ruby1993red
Advanced

Originally Posted by chevyowner
http://tech.corvettecentral.com/2011...trouble-codes/
is what I use, and according the that page module 1 is CCM and codes...
72 - LCD dimming output circuit open or shorted to ground
74 - LED display dimming output circuit open or shorted to ground

If the OP got it wrong and they are from module 4 then you are correct.
Codes are from module 1 on a 1993. Would these two codes have anything to do with my problem?
Old 07-01-2015, 04:02 PM
ruby1993red
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
Since it lights while cranking, opti spark is good
Next, I would check for spark at the coil.
Then, fuel pressure
I don't have much experience doing this type of work. How would I check for spark at the coil? Check for fuel pressure?

It is looking more like I need a mechanic to look at my Ruby. Would a good chevy 350 mechanic be able to fix this or do I need a corvette guy?

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 05:05 PM
MARKRUBYRED
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have much experience doing this type of work. How would I check for spark at the coil? Check for fuel pressure?

It is looking more like I need a mechanic to look at my Ruby. Would a good chevy 350 mechanic be able to fix this or do I need a corvette guy?

Thanks for any help!!!
Well, I can only give you my experience of owning my '93 Ruby 'Vert for over 15 years. When I joined the CF, my first attempted repair was the Sport Seat lumbar motors. Using the latex glove (50 cents) and the instructions from a forum member, I probably saved myself a few hundred dollars on my own successful repair and the rest is history. There is no greater satisfaction on owning these cars when you properly fix it yourself. Over the years, I have been fortunate enough to be able to do most of my repairs and maintenance. I even have my own GM Tech 1 Scanner with a MSC and FSM but there comes a time when you have to bite the bullet and find a reputable Corvette mechanic, preferably someone who is highly recommended by your Corvette Club and knows the glitches of the C-4 and either owns one or used to. I know my limitations and when a problem arises and it will since these cars are now over 25 years old and it begins to take the fun out of owning your Ruby, talk with the Corvette mechanic and explain the problems. Ask him what he charges for a diagnostic fee and what his hourly rate is for R/R a part. If he is a decent guy, and most are, he may give you some advice before you bring it in. My Ruby has only 30K and I am the 2nd owner and would never give it to a dealer or mechanic that does not know or have the proper equipment to diagnosis and repair these cars. I am now getting my 'Vette ready for NCRS judging and have learned so much in the process. When I read the recent post by a forum member that is paying $130.00 (could be < or >) an hour for improper repairs to his C-4 over the past year of ownership I got sick to my stomach. As my Dad used to say, "They throw 8th avenue hookers in the slammer" and this "mechanic" still runs his business. Do your research and you will be fine. Save the wave and keep the CF members here up to date on your progress. BTW, 15 years and my Sport Seat bladder motor repairs are working fine, thanks to a CF Forum member.
Regards,
Markrubyred

Last edited by MARKRUBYRED; 07-01-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

c4 tech is where you get help. Not that there is not info in this section, but the Tech guys don't really read or post in general. Some serious knowledge here. More then mechanics sometimes.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Codes are from module 1 on a 1993. Would these two codes have anything to do with my problem?
Do you have an aftermarket radio?

Thanks for any help!!!
You need a mechanic that knows the 92-96 LT1. Not many mechanics know about the opti. I don't think that the opti is your problem but if you take it to a mechanic that does not know how to deal with it, they may just replace it because they don't know how to deal with it.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 07-02-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:24 PM
ruby1993red
Advanced

Originally Posted by chevyowner
Do you have an aftermarket radio?

You need a mechanic that knows the 92-96 LT1. Not many mechanics know about the opti. I don't think that the opti is your problem but if you take it to a mechanic that does not know how to deal with it, they may just replace it because they don't know how to deal with it.
No after market radio. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:25 PM
ruby1993red
Advanced

Originally Posted by pologreen1
c4 tech is where you get help. Not that there is not info in this section, but the Tech guys don't really read or post in general. Some serious knowledge here. More then mechanics sometimes.
I will repost there. Thanks
Old 07-02-2015, 12:26 PM
ruby1993red
Advanced

Thanks to all . I and going to repost in the tech forum.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:51 PM
joendoodle
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My '88 won't start either... suspect fuel pump...

Acts like lack of fuel (has spark, cranks, but won't fire)

trys to fire on "carb cleaner"

Put in a new fuel filter, no change (someday I'll have a car lift, I'm getting too old to lay on my back)

bought a fuel pressure gauge,

comes right up to 10 psi and no more .....not the 45-47 psi I had hoped for... looks like I'm going in the tank to pull the fuel pump and check it and the inlet screen / filter..

If this sounds logical / illogical let me know...

THANX in advance

The 88 has a sibling

Quick Reply: 1993 corvette mechanic