Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Difference in handling between full and empty gas tanks

Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 PM
Danglin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in handling between full and empty gas tanks

I've had my '84 non-Z51 car for about 3 months now, and one thing I've not gotten used to is the difference in ride and handling when the car has 20 gallons of fuel on board versus closer to empty.

I've probably owned about 40 cars in my life, and the ride quality was impacted by the amount of fuel in the tank to varying degrees, with some cars not being affected at all, to others where it was obvious.

This Corvette is extreme in that with a full tank, the ride is extremely bouncy and harsh. As fuel is depleted, the ride smooths out considerably, though it will never be mistaken for a limousine.

Has anyone else noticed this? Could it be worn shocks or other suspension parts? The car currently has what appears to be KYB GR2s all the way around, but I have no idea how old they are.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Some people like the KYB's, but they really are just a cheap shock,
If you put a decent brand of new shocks on you would probably be pleasantly surprised !
Old 07-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Danglin
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackozvet
Some people like the KYB's, but they really are just a cheap shock,
If you put a decent brand of new shocks on you would probably be pleasantly surprised !
I figured that may have a lot to do with it. I was thinking about swapping in some Konis, which I've had great luck with on my Camaro.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I haven't really noticed in my 86. But the 84's are known for their harsher ride.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Danglin
I figured that may have a lot to do with it. I was thinking about swapping in some Konis, which I've had great luck with on my Camaro.
I had KYB's in mine a few years ago and took them back off after a short time, while they were ok driving around the streets at the speed limit, if i pushed the car on windy roads the car would 'wallow' quite noticeably.

like most things in life, it really depends on how much you spend, one decent shock costs as much as a set of KYB's, it just depends on what performance level your chasing as to how much you spend.

The people i know running Koni's love them (but dont love adjusting them on the car !)

Get notified of new replies

To Difference in handling between full and empty gas tanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in handling between full and empty gas tanks