C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Is my clutch going out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:49 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my clutch going out?

So I have a 1984 corvette with the 4 speed manual, and lately it has been acting funny. The engine is running fine and its driving like normal, other than for one thing. When I shift, and then get on the gas, it will rev but it will barely accelerate, then it will lower its RPM back to where it was when i shifted, and then rev and accelerate like normal. This might sound hard to understand, but its like my clutch wasn't fully let out and it wants to move but its not fully let out so it will just rev and not move much.

But it doesnt always happen just when I shift, If i am going 30mph in 3rd gear, and give it a decent amount of gas, it will do the same thing. Step on gas, RPM up, won't pull much, RPM goes down, then start to go back up again, accellerating normally.
Can you guys get what I am saying? I don't know if its the clutch or somthing with the gears, or maybe somthing with the overdrive is gone bad, but This doesn't just happen in overdrive, it happens in the normal gears as well. My clutch grabs fine at a stop to go so I don't know what to think. Anyone have thoughts? Thank you
Old 06-30-2015, 04:09 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesforevor
So I have a 1984 corvette with the 4 speed manual, and lately it has been acting funny. The engine is running fine and its driving like normal, other than for one thing. When I shift, and then get on the gas, it will rev but it will barely accelerate, then it will lower its RPM back to where it was when i shifted, and then rev and accelerate like normal. This might sound hard to understand, but its like my clutch wasn't fully let out and it wants to move but its not fully let out so it will just rev and not move much.

But it doesnt always happen just when I shift, If i am going 30mph in 3rd gear, and give it a decent amount of gas, it will do the same thing. Step on gas, RPM up, won't pull much, RPM goes down, then start to go back up again, accellerating normally.
Can you guys get what I am saying? I don't know if its the clutch or somthing with the gears, or maybe somthing with the overdrive is gone bad, but This doesn't just happen in overdrive, it happens in the normal gears as well. My clutch grabs fine at a stop to go so I don't know what to think. Anyone have thoughts? Thank you
My money is on the clutch being shot. If you are lucky, you might not have scored the flywheel and it can be re-surfaced, if necessary. Let it go any longer, and you'll be looking for a FW for sure.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
My money is on the clutch being shot. If you are lucky, you might not have scored the flywheel and it can be re-surfaced, if necessary. Let it go any longer, and you'll be looking for a FW for sure.

Yep, time for a new clutch..leave it too long and it will get progressively worse, to the point where it will be slipping in every gear and on take off, I've recently had a similar situation in my 94 six speed, it's now in the shop having a full stage two Carolina Clutch and steel flywheel fitted as we speak!
Old 06-30-2015, 11:33 AM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

how much time and $$ are we talking here guys....
Old 06-30-2015, 05:21 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

$1500ish?
Old 07-01-2015, 09:18 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

I'm a DIY'er, so parts and my time was my costs.

On my 95 LT1/ZF6 Vette there is an aluminum shim plate between the bell housing and the engine block. IDK what years that shim plate was used, but I mention it b/c it is critically important that it be reinstalled, so you or whomever needs to know to use some TLC when removing the trans. And, don't forget to instal a new pilot bushing and throwout bearing, while you're at it.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Ummm... Why am I the only one here that noticed the op says he has an 84 with a manual 4spd.

I thought the 84s were all automatics
Old 07-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Ummm... Why am I the only one here that noticed the op says he has an 84 with a manual 4spd.

4+3 was available in '84
Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

1982 was auto
Old 07-01-2015, 09:10 PM
pezter22
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You may have to call around to find someone who is familiar with the Doug Nash 4+3. With my '84 it took me a while. It's not a transmission that many are familiar with.

After ten calls around town, I finally found someone I "thought" would do a good job. I had already purchased a Luk clutch and the place I chose charged me $450 in labor. It was a good price, but they really messed up the installation.

A year later when my overdrive unit began to fail, I purchased a Tremec and had a new trusted mechanic do the install.

Do your research.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

I found this really cheap clutch kit on partsgeek.com.. It looks good to me but it has me suspicous.. its only 75$.. What do you guys think?

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...Ms_RoCs1Lw_wcB
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Just a thought.....

Just a thought, my car is an auto '93, so I don't know if the clutch is cable or hydraulically operated. If the former, there may be some adjustment left to let the clutch grip better. Like I say, just a thought.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:44 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I found this really cheap clutch kit on partsgeek.com.. It looks good to me but it has me suspicous.. its only 75$.. What do you guys think?

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...Ms_RoCs1Lw_wcB
Autozone sells the clutch kit/set for an 84 for $99.99.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:02 PM
corvettesforevor
Instructor

So I got everything taken apart, the old clutch is definetly garbage. Got the new kit from autozone for 99$. My question is, the old flywheel is discolored from heat, it still looks pretty good just discolored. I was told to resurface it but my friend tells me that it is to risky to resurface the flyhweel because there is almost 0 tolerance and it will just cause me more problems. What do you guys think I should do??
Old 07-19-2015, 02:44 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

So I got everything taken apart, the old clutch is definetly garbage. Got the new kit from autozone for 99$. My question is, the old flywheel is discolored from heat, it still looks pretty good just discolored. I was told to resurface it but my friend tells me that it is to risky to resurface the flyhweel because there is almost 0 tolerance and it will just cause me more problems. What do you guys think I should do??
I have not had problems with a resurface flywheel, but look for cracks before getting it resurfaced.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my clutch going out?

Quick Reply: Is my clutch going out?