Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 purchase questions - first time Vette purchase ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:03 AM
terrapinjam99
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 purchase questions - first time Vette purchase ?

Hello , I am looking to buy my very first C4 Corvette. I am 50 years old and several years ago I had a mid 70's C3 for a short time . I am focused on the C4 ( non-convertible ) ( rather than a C5 ) because I just really like those better , and its just something that I always wanted back before having the "means" to do so . I am looking for any and all guidance and suggestions. Are the C4 's reliable? Which years and models are best to buy ? What are certain things that I should look for ? What are some common problem areas that I should be looking for? I have been focusing on the last 2 years of the C4 , 95 & 96 . I would like to purchase something that I could actually drive more than just on Sundays ( not an everyday driver - but something that I can put some miles on ) . I know this is a somewhat open-ended question . You may even be able to direct me to forum threads that already address this type of info . Thank You very much in advance for any help . ( St. Louis , MO )
Old 06-30-2015, 02:39 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

A couple of experts in the C4 field are Chris Petris and Gordon Killebrew. I have been to some of their classes and they both recommend the 95 and 96 as they have better weather stripping, are quieter due to having the rattle issues figured out (mostly) and had the vented Opti Spark ignition that are less likely to have moisture related issues.
I always advise to bring someone with you that has owned one of these models. Don't be afraid to fly and drive. You can easily find a knowledgeable Forum member in the car's area who can do a test drive and send you pictures.
The common wisdom is to buy the best, lowest mileage car you can afford. Although a higher mileage car that has been fanatic maintained is a good bet too.
Roger's Corvettes in Florida has some very nice examples but his prices are high. This is one of those times when you get what you pay for too.
Be sure to check for flood damage on any Corvette you look at along with getting a good CarFax.
Here is one of Roger's:
http://www.rogerscorvette.com/car1024.php?CarID=3231
Old 06-30-2015, 03:30 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i'm 51, still looking, but mostly waiting on some budget things.
i would recommend looking at some in your area and driving them to see what they feel like for you.
i think they all drive a bit different, have different feels, etc.
of course condition, as someone said is important, i drove a '93 last year that honestly was in pristine condition at 65000 miles (it almost felt like a new car!), it had been well taken care of.
the other thing is set your budget and search.
for me i'm finding the prices are all over the place.

i think the thing to realize is that at it's newest, we're looking for a car that is 19 years or older. so it will need things at some point.

but as i've said on here, the later model C4s i've driven (93, 94, 96s) all felt like modern cars to me....and the 87 and 89s i've driven, just felt like "older cars" b/c of the interior (but that is not a bad thing). they were still very fun to drive.

i would certainly check through the posts on here, lots of good advice and information...
good luck
Old 06-30-2015, 10:28 PM
92-C4
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just picked up a '92. The main thing I noticed when I was looking was the 55HP jump to 300HP from the '91 to the '92 with the LT1. For me that alone ruled out anything older than a '92.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

So 10 years ago at age 53 I bought my first Vette. In my price range I had my choice of the late model years of C4 or the early model years of C5.

After driving more than a half dozen vettes I decided to go for the late model C4. I bought a 95 auto with 25K on it and I paid a premium price at the time for one in very very good condition. I got exactly what I paid for and over the course of the next 6 years I put nearly 100K on the car

A 95 or 96 is a great car BUT (in my opinion) you do get what you pay for. There is no such thing as a inexpensive C4 that is a reliable daily driver. You can either pay for a well maintained car up front in the purchase price or pay out more on a continual basis for the "inexpensive" one that needs lots of replacement parts and mechanical work.

The absolute best piece of advice that I can give you is to drive as many C4s as you can so that you learn to feel the difference in the driving experience of the well maintained car from one that is not.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:21 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

My suggestion is the same as most guys on here that have been driving these cars any length of time...Buy the newest, cleanest , lowest mile, best condition, car you can afford, and you won't be sorry..This is especially true if you don't intend doing your own work on the car..You can usually look at a car and see if it's been taken care of..
.In most cases the cheaper the car , the more your going to have to spend replacing parts and having it repaired.. But there are exceptions to this rule..Some guys take exceptional care of their cars and even though the cars have higher miles , they are still excellent buys....Buying a Corvette is no different then buying most other cars.. If the car is immaculate on the exterior and interior, you can be pretty sure they have taken care of the mechanics also...WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-03-2015 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:19 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

I agree with what's been posted here. A '95 or '96 that's been well taken care of by a person who has more than a passing interest is a safer bet. A person who has most or all of the maintenance records will: a) tell you what's been done and when; b) most likely has kept up on what was needed. As mentioned also, make sure you drive as many as you can to feel what is right and take along a knowledgable C4 owner who will point out the good, the bad and the ugly.
Have fun and welcome to the land of the C4!!!!!
Old 07-03-2015, 08:44 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

One thing the OP hasn't mentioned is the style of driving that is planned, it can make a difference in vehicle selection. I don't race any more and haven't for a lot of years, I'm into cruising. I wanted a manual transmission as most of my driving is planned to be highway and a convertible is nice. I wanted something that if I was out in the boonies and needed gas I could fill at almost any gas station without risk. I also read too many horror stories relating to the Optispark on the LT1's.

I made my list and based on that selected the car that best matched the answers I had. I'd recommend to the OP he do the same. Make a list of everything you want and don't want in a car. Once that's together then start looking at various models that meet your conditions then once you have that then you can start looking at cars. Don't be afraid to look at cars outside your local area and don't be afraid to ask for help. There are people that will look at a car for you and can give some objective advise on the cars.

I live in Minnesota and found my car is New Mexico. It took a while but I found the car that matched my list of requirements and was within my price range and in acceptable condition. I could do it, you can too.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:16 AM
richauto
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terrapinjam99
Hello , I am looking to buy my very first C4 Corvette. I am 50 years old and several years ago I had a mid 70's C3 for a short time . I am focused on the C4 ( non-convertible ) ( rather than a C5 ) because I just really like those better , and its just something that I always wanted back before having the "means" to do so . I am looking for any and all guidance and suggestions. Are the C4 's reliable? Which years and models are best to buy ? What are certain things that I should look for ? What are some common problem areas that I should be looking for? I have been focusing on the last 2 years of the C4 , 95 & 96 . I would like to purchase something that I could actually drive more than just on Sundays ( not an everyday driver - but something that I can put some miles on ) . I know this is a somewhat open-ended question . You may even be able to direct me to forum threads that already address this type of info . Thank You very much in advance for any help . ( St. Louis , MO )
Hi I bought my first vette a 94 coupe. It had 60k on it now has 70k. It has been great, the later c4,s are the best. When you find one you like, make sure everything works , not too high on the miles and have a good time. By the way I was 55 when I bought it, it does not suck
Old 07-03-2015, 10:39 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by richauto
Hi I bought my first vette a 94 coupe. It had 60k on it now has 70k. It has been great, the later c4,s are the best. When you find one you like, make sure everything works , not too high on the miles and have a good time. By the way I was 55 when I bought it, it does not suck
any pics of your car ? Looks great love that blue!!
Old 08-26-2015, 11:03 AM
terrapinjam99
Heel & Toe

Default Got one !!!

Many thanks to all for the information ! I appreciate it , and it has lead me to my first C4 purchase . 1995 Coupe , Torch Red , light tan interior , all stock and unmolested in any way , 64,000 , originally sold at dealership near Las Vegas, Nevada.
Attached Images    
Old 08-26-2015, 11:39 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Nice!!
That car looks to be in awesome shape. The interior looks new, and the engine is nice and clean. I'll bet that for the next while, as you walk away from the car, you'll always take a look back at it and smile.
Enjoy!!
and don't forget to wave.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:34 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Great looking 95

Now before you go too far in your new car change all of the fluids from front to back.

Coolant
Oil
Brake fluid
Auto trans fluid ( and the filter screen) Just drain the trans fluid do not "flush" the trans.
Rear diff fluid ( be sure to purchase and add in the rear diff "additive"

Many excellent products. I've been using Amsoil for oil, trans and rear diff for the past 100K.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:04 PM
ccrvtt
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto all the opinions stated above. Read this forum and drive as many as you can. Keep in mind these are 20+ year old cars and will not behave like a Corolla, which is a good thing for the most part.

I bought the best I could afford, a '95 with 10K miles and do not regret paying a fair price for a great car. My personal recommendations: Don't buy a black car, look for the sport seat option, and try to find one with fresh tires (those suckers are expensive!).

This forum is, hands down, the best source of information.

Be aware that this Corvette thing doesn't stop with the purchase, it just begins there.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:51 PM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

send me your address and ill send you a clip that holds the little relay on the side of the radiator shroud. I see yours is broken off like mine was.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:03 AM
terrapinjam99
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Great looking 95

Now before you go too far in your new car change all of the fluids from front to back.

Coolant
Oil
Brake fluid
Auto trans fluid ( and the filter screen) Just drain the trans fluid do not "flush" the trans.
Rear diff fluid ( be sure to purchase and add in the rear diff "additive"

Many excellent products. I've been using Amsoil for oil, trans and rear diff for the past 100K.

Thank you very much ! couple of questions :
- what coolant do you suggest? mixture?
- what brake fluid do you suggest?
- what specific Amsoil tranny fluid?
- what specific Amsoil for rear diff? and what is the "additive" you mentioned?
Old 08-28-2015, 02:07 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by terrapinjam99
Thank you very much ! couple of questions :
- what coolant do you suggest? mixture?
- what brake fluid do you suggest?
- what specific Amsoil tranny fluid?
- what specific Amsoil for rear diff? and what is the "additive" you mentioned?
I used to live in Florissant. My mom and dad live out in O'fallon, MO.

Anyway...

- 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Some will also use a bottle or two of Red Line Water Wetter. Your car originally had Dexcool. If you want to switch to traditional Green antifreeze, you need to ensure you do a full flush. Dexcool and traditional antifreeze do not mix.
- Any Dot 3 or Dot 4 fluid will be fine. If you plan to take the car to the road course, then worry about something better. Personally I like Ate Typ 200.
- The Amsoil Signature Series ATF is a nice product. Either of the two they offer will work, as will the OE ATF. For a driver / weekend cruiser you will notice absolutely Zero difference between the three.
- I'd use a 75W90. Unless specifically stated, you need to add the friction modifier so the clutch packs in the differential don't chatter. From the website: " If limited-slip differential chatter occurs, add AMSOIL Slip-Lock® friction modifier additive."

Get notified of new replies

To C4 purchase questions - first time Vette purchase ?

Quick Reply: C4 purchase questions - first time Vette purchase ?