C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

coolant leak from somewhere has me stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:55 PM
headcheese
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant leak from somewhere has me stumped

so earlier this spring i had a coolant leak. took it to a shop and got a new water pump which was dripping out the weep hole. shortly thereafter i had problems starting it and it would miss a lot, along with throwing a code for the distributor, and still leaking a bit of coolant here and there. should have done my homework and had them both done.

decided to attempt the job myself and over the last month or so i put in a new opti, and regasketed the water pump, used thread sealant on all the bolts torqued everything to spec. bigger job than i have ever attempted and car runs great again. was feeling good about myself.

until i find out there is still a GD coolant leak!! i think it is the same one that there has always been and the water pump was just a coincidence. can see it pooling up on the bottom corner of the block next to the oil pan on the drivers side, right by my brand new opti.

i have felt around all the hoses, even borrowed a flexy camera from work to poke around with. no idea where it is coming from and i dont know what to do.

anyone have an experience like this before and can offer any advice? or just words of encouragement? not too happy at the moment.

could it be a freeze plug?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:16 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Could be a plug. Go to the dollar store and get a can of spray foot powder or go high tech and get some uv dye
Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 PM
headcheese
Cruising

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Could be a plug. Go to the dollar store and get a can of spray foot powder or go high tech and get some uv dye
yea that was my first thought, just got some dye. wont have time to check it with a light til next week. how easy is the drivers side front freeze plug to get at? there is 4 total right? just hope its not the head gasket but think i would have found that out by now.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

See what the uv dye says. With these pressurized systems, I almost betting on a pinhole leak in a hose. It doesn't take much, and they spew everywhere, so the source can be very hard to find.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:20 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Did you pressure test the system?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:01 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by headcheese
how easy is the drivers side front freeze plug to get at? there is 4 total right?
The front freeze plug is behind the motor mount, which must be removed to get to it.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

With the help of a cooling system pressure test kit (AutoZone) I was able to find just such an elusive coolant leak, after pumping it up to 20#.

I hadn't thought of the foot powder idea, but I can see how that would be a big help, especially if the area is greasy, or oily, etc.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:12 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

You basically have the water pump, throttle body, a few hose's, temp probe, and a thermostat for possibilities.

I have always had pretty good luck with passing my fingers around until I come up with a wet one..

when all of this work was done did you replace the hose's or where they in good shape.

Last edited by desertmike1; 07-01-2015 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Actually I believe that you have one more possibility. You are aware that each side of the radiator is "plastic" and after numerous cycles of heating and cooling a slight crack or even a pin hole can develop. This can happen on either the right side or the left side.

If you can put the vette on a lift and start it and let it idle until hot ... a peek underneath may tell you a whole lot.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:53 PM
headcheese
Cruising

hey thanks for the replies! i have been away for a few days...

i have not pressure tested the system... might have to do this.

put uv dye in the coolant yesterday and been looking all over with a blacklight today. still cant see the origin of the leak.

it looks to be driver side, i checked the knock sensors today along with all the hoses again. i can see most all of the opti and that is dry so thats good!

was looking for freeze plug locations in the FSM and cant find much info

hoping my neighbor can let me use his lift sometime this week, i just have it on ramps.

heres a pic of the bottom on drivers side. tried wiping my finger on the engine to see if it was wet with coolant but couldnt tell for sure (real greasy) so just waiting for it to leak more haha!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/..._103502207.jpg

Last edited by headcheese; 07-08-2015 at 02:56 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To coolant leak from somewhere has me stumped

Quick Reply: coolant leak from somewhere has me stumped