Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Opinions On Suspension Rebuild Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 PM
C4+3=/=C7
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opinions On Suspension Rebuild Kits?

The ride quality of my 1985 (first suspension iteration) is now laughable even compared to other C4s and understeer in tight cornering quickly yields to oversteer. I also hope to take the car to track days and autocross eventually and feel the revised geometries and new components throughout would be pretty important. Because of this, I bought a full poly bushing kit early on with the intention of buying the rest of the parts later on, but now realize that it would be more cost effective to buy an entire suspension kit at once.

I've been looking at Corvette Central's kit including Z51 Bilsteins, struts, a larger front sway bar, poly bushings, stiffer leaf springs, and lowering wedges. Does anyone have any experience with the kit or other good alternatives for under $2,000? Would this be an extremely difficult job for an inexperienced wrencher? I've read the guides but can't determine whether this is a job I just have to spend time on or can get hopelessly lost in. Thanks.

Last edited by C4+3=/=C7; 07-03-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:36 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you are going to do the work yourself, it would be a big help to have access to a hoist. The only part that would be somewhat difficult would be the front spring swap. Everything else can be done with a floor jack and jack stands.

I would also look at what Vette Brakes offers in the weay of kits or even individual components. Vansteel has similar complete kits too.

If you wind up with installing a complete kit, you will need to have the car aligned. Vette Brakes also has a document with custom alignment specs that are very good starting points. I have used the "Advanced Street" settings as a starting point for my '87 autocross/track day car. It can be difficult to get a lot of negative camber in the front.

Also look for a camber brace for the front suspension. I have an R&D Camber Brace that I bought some 6 years ago and it has really helped to strengthen the front suspension. I don't think that R&D is in business anymore, but you may be able to find similar products through searching eBay or possible the Autocrossing and Road Racing Parts For Sale section or even the C4 Parts For Sale section.

I have also installed the rear suspension components from Banski Motorsports, These are aluminum tube pieces using Heim joints. They were very easy to install and you can make very fine adjustments to rear wheel alignments. These pieces didn't seem to affect the ride of my '87 very much, but replacing the base suspension with the equivalent of Z51 suspension can make the overall ride stiffer.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:28 PM
C4+3=/=C7
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If you are going tohttp://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35 do the work yourself, it would be a big help to have access to a hoist. The only part that would be somewhat difficult would be the front spring swap. Everything else can be done with a floor jack and jack stands.

I would also look at what Vette Brakes offers in the weay of kits or even individual components. Vansteel has similar complete kits too.

If you wind up with installing a complete kit, you will need to have the car aligned. Vette Brakes also has a document with custom alignment specs that are very good starting points. I have used the "Advanced Street" settings as a starting point for my '87 autocross/track day car. It can be difficult to get a lot of negative camber in the front.

Also look for a camber brace for the front suspension. I have an R&D Camber Brace that I bought some 6 years ago and it has really helped to strengthen the front suspension. I don't think that R&D is in business anymore, but you may be able to find similar products through searching eBay or possible the Autocrossing and Road Racing Parts For Sale section or even the C4 Parts For Sale section.

I have also installed the rear suspension components from Banski Motorsports, These are aluminum tube pieces using Heim joints. They were very easy to install and you can make very fine adjustments to rear wheel alignments. These pieces didn't seem to affect the ride of my '87 very much, but replacing the base suspension with the equivalent of Z51 suspension can make the overall ride stiffer.
Thanks for the detailed information! I don't need any really specialized hardware as this is a daily driven car in awful roads when the weather is good and I will only be starting out with performance-oriented driving. It seems that Vette Brakes shares the Sport Suspension kit along with Corvette Central and a few other retailers. I don't have a hoist and imagine that the front spring may turn out to be a problem beyond my ability, as the more straightforward aspects of the project seem a bit out of my current ability themselves.

I also hope that Corvette Central will still honor the $300 off deal advertised in their spring catalog as that's what would allow me to undertake this project and leave a budget for other issues or necessities that may appear. As for alignment, I'll definitely have to find a good shop around here. In the meantime, I'll try to figure out a way to get past the front spring problem without taking my car into the shop for everything; I aim to be a bit less clueless by the time my car is handling well again. I'll be sure to consider your advice.

I'm definitely anxious to see the difference that those parts give an early version, non-Z51 suspension that's seen 136k and hard days on local roads.

Last edited by C4+3=/=C7; 07-04-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:12 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

here is a link to a front spring removal guide,

http://webpages.charter.net/khasting.../lowering.html

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions On Suspension Rebuild Kits?

Quick Reply: Opinions On Suspension Rebuild Kits?