My 92 Corvette with LSX454 Swap with Videos

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 03:39 PM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Really cool, what a sleeper you have on your hands. Alot of people would never think there is a 454 hiding under the hood
Only giveaway is the radical cam lope and cheater slicks.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:40 PM
9T3VETTE
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by chadls6
Only giveaway is the radical cam lope and cheater slicks.
Haha yea should have said "sleeper"...even though it sounds serious I don't think many people would pull up to a light and realize what you have under it. Awesome build!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 PM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 9T3VETTE
Haha yea should have said "sleeper"...even though it sounds serious I don't think many people would pull up to a light and realize what you have under it. Awesome build!
Thanks for your compliments! I got in a high speed chase, or follow the lambo, with a lamborghini aventador (sp) a few weeks ago but I was in my Viper. No chance! Glad he was ahead of me cause he got pulled over while I coasted by. I'm sure driving a half a million dollar car the ticket was chump change. However, if the big 3 keep the hp wars up I'm going to have to throw the towel in on my c4. New z06's, Vipers and Hellcat Challengers running high 10's stock! A pulley and tires and high 9's for z06 and heaven forbid someone add some boost to a new viper.
Don't get me wrong I own a Viper, zr1 and c7 and love it but Who'd of thought that the pinnacle of store bought race cars would have a second and even better coming?
Old 07-05-2015, 09:24 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

One thing clear is that thing will make more power n/a (and be more fun to drive down low, with high compression) vs. what many here would dream to do with boost.

I'm so happy you decided to do this in a c4! Please keep us posted !!!!

If I could do it over again, I'd go viper. Amazing how light those cars are with 2 extra cylinders. The new ones have creature comforts for once too
Old 07-05-2015, 11:05 PM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
One thing clear is that thing will make more power n/a (and be more fun to drive down low, with high compression) vs. what many here would dream to do with boost.

I'm so happy you decided to do this in a c4! Please keep us posted !!!!

If I could do it over again, I'd go viper. Amazing how light those cars are with 2 extra cylinders. The new ones have creature comforts for once too
Thanks for your compliments! I didn't know so many people would be interested in this. This all started when I took the car to get a dead spot at 1700 tuned out. Which happened to be 70 on cruise. The last time the c4 with the 383 lt4 was tuned was by Ed wright back in late 90's. The shops said it would be better to go LS since the PROM chips were a dinosaur. I decided to go LSX454 to have a beast then it snowballed when CarCraft did WCCH CNC head porting and a cam and engine dynod at 751 hp! So I copied that article. I had no idea I had opened Pandora's box. New trans, clutch, beefed Dana 44, Denny's drive and half shafts wilwood 6 piston 14" brakes, fikse wheels, new c5 accessories, ect. I am **** and want the best. I will buy something and if something better comes out I will swap it out. The nitrous system is the best of everything.
Speaking of vipers I really like them too. I own a 2nd gen and I know I'm going to catch hell but my corvettes are invisible when the viper is around. There I said it. They didn't make very many so you don't see them that often. Seeing how dodge dropped the price you can pick up a new viper in the $80's so when I sell my '14 C7 it's going to be a hard choice between the new viper or c7z06. Coin toss? I like vettes just as much. That's why I own both. I can't knock fords cause I've never owned one except a shelby cobra replica or kit. Now those are fun!
I should have the vette back from the tuner in two weeks. I'm going to put some miles on her before she goes to the nitrous install shop. Then I'll get some performance numbers put up including dyno numbers and videos of 1/8 and 1/4 mile runs. Maybe some top end runs too. Only problem is the weak Dana 44 even though I've sent it off and done stub axles and Denny's nitrous half shafts I've read they will still break. I refuse to go solid rear because I like to do road courses with the car. Cresson is 15 minutes from me.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:28 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Wow! That is some build.

In your other post you stated "Planning on going auto and strait rear axle after I get some miles on her."

In your last post you state "I refuse to go solid rear because I like to do road courses with the car."

Either way it is a cool and unique C4-Looking forward to your results.

Steve
Old 07-06-2015, 04:31 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVEN13
Wow! That is some build.

In your other post you stated "Planning on going auto and strait rear axle after I get some miles on her."

In your last post you state "I refuse to go solid rear because I like to do road courses with the car."

Steve
The Dana 44 issues are overblown. Understand its limitations and adjust your launch accordingly.

Look up 8 second c4 IRS on YouTube
Old 07-06-2015, 07:42 PM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow! That is some build.

Steve
I meant to say,
"I've always refused to go solid axle." Sorry about that. I found they make a bolt in kit for solid rear axle! I have a lift and trans jack so swapping the trans to a glide or th400 and a bolt in solid rear would be a weekend project. I could switch back and fourth if I wanted to.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:48 PM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

The Dana 44 issues are overblown. Understand its limitations and adjust your launch accordingly.

Thanks for your reply. I've looked them up and those cars are amazing! I've have broken half shafts in the past launching the car on et streets with the 420rwhp 383 lt4. Breaking something on the launch doesn't scare me as bad as breaking something at 100! I am going to take yours and others advise of taking it easy on the launch. Plus I won't be a repeat drag strip racer. I just want some numbers to compare it to before.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:17 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Not sure about your response as it has nothing to do with anything I said.
Old 07-06-2015, 08:43 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

I meant to say,
"I've always refused to go solid axle." Sorry about that. I found they make a bolt in kit for solid rear axle! I have a lift and trans jack so swapping the trans to a glide or th400 and a bolt in solid rear would be a weekend project. I could switch back and fourth if I wanted to.
Search RKLESSDRIVER (Will) and see what he did to his IRS as he is very knowledgeable. He did end up going solid axle.

Attached is a photo of my 1992 with a 9" solid axle-with a High HP engine making 289 RWHP LOL

Your car Rocks!

Name:  016.JPG
Views: 2735
Size:  1.63 MB
Old 07-06-2015, 10:10 PM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Search RKLESSDRIVER (Will) and see what he did to his IRS as he is very knowledgeable. He did end up going solid axle.

Attached is a photo of my 1992 with a 9" solid axle-with a High HP engine making 289 RWHP LOL

Your car Rocks!

Attachment 47898362
Your car looks great! Why would you go solid axle with stock hp levels? Are you planning on building the motor? Anyway, she still looks great. I like the dish on the rear wheels.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:52 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Your car looks great! Why would you go solid axle with stock hp levels? Are you planning on building the motor? Anyway, she still looks great. I like the dish on the rear wheels.
Thank you.

Yes planing to do a LT1 Stroker or LSx for now just gonna enjoy it.

Looking forward to your 1/4 mile results!

Old 07-07-2015, 12:09 AM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Going a bit off-topic here, but you should see Roadkill ep38 if you haven't already.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 AM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you.

Yes planing to do a LT1 Stroker or LSx for now just gonna enjoy it.

Looking forward to your 1/4 mile results!

It's more of a hassle but I promise you that you will be happier if you go lsx. There are kits now and tons of literature and help online. Plus you can maybe sell your stock stuff to help with $ for the project. Also it is a lot easier to get power out of an ls than it is an lt1. The number one item would be the limit in cubic inches. My lt4 had the kitchen sink thrown at it and it made 420 rw na. Now it wasn't a solid lift cam and only 11.5 compression so there was more to be had. Now I'm comparing na to na. I'm sure there are some boosted lt1's putting some big numbers down. And remember This is just my experienced opinion. I could drive my car anywhere with a/c on and cruise listening to music with legal smog inspection. I don't want to start any wars here. I'm talking about us common folk with regular jobs that don't have access to crazy one off parts and machine shops and nascar type mechanics.
I will post my results as soon as I get them! I still have to install nitrous/brakes/tires and wheels/ect.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:56 AM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chevyowner
Going a bit off-topic here, but you should see Roadkill ep38 if you haven't already.
I saw that and was kinda disappointed. It reminded me of guys strapping their diesel trucks together and see who could pull the other the furthest. Just not my taste. Thanks for the link though.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:17 PM
oldpro
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

how hard was it in interface the new engine computer to the car did you do it or have someone do it for you . I have just got given a 90 and am really think ing about doing a ls coversion . thankyou for your thoughts on this /.your car is going to be on heck of c4

Get notified of new replies

To My 92 Corvette with LSX454 Swap with Videos

Old 07-07-2015, 12:40 PM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldpro
how hard was it in interface the new engine computer to the car did you do it or have someone do it for you . I have just got given a 90 and am really think ing about doing a ls coversion . thankyou for your thoughts on this /.your car is going to be on heck of c4
I started two projects at once...check my pics for my framed off 1969 camaro. Rebody done by AMD install center in GA. Painted by KC of Gas Monkey, Detroit speed hydrformed frame, ds quadralink rear with mossier fab 9". Scott Shafiroff all aluminum injected 540. T56 magnum,ect. This is the long way of me telling you I outsourced it. However, he said it wasn't very hard. Everything you need to know has been done online you just have to look. When I made the harness for the 5.3 in my wife's '54 gmc truck I copied what another had done online and it started right up on the first try! It can be done if you take your time and read what other have pioneered for us. When you get frustrated just walk away and come back later with a fresh mind!
Thanks for your compliments! I can't wait to get it out for people to see. It's definitely different. I grew up around these cars as a kid and just never lost my love for them.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:54 AM
chadls6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I should be getting my car back from the shop Friday. I will post a progress report and videos.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:12 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Sweet

Quick Reply: My 92 Corvette with LSX454 Swap with Videos