Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Does FSM provide detailed info about hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:28 AM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Does FSM provide detailed info about hardware?

Hello all. I hope everyone had a great 4th! Does the factory service manuals provide information about bolts, screws, etc? I ordered a set of manuals and should be here in a few days. I am in need of some hardware (I guess they would be called bolts) that hold the inner wheel well cover to the rear fender but do not know the size, etc of these. Im hoping the FSM tells me a part number or description of the hardware used throughout the car. Thanks.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The FSM has general information on fasteners but nothing specific. I suggest you look at the sites of the large Corvette parts retailers.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

The FSM isn't going to help you very much in that search. Become familiar with Metric specs for the self-tapping hardware. Nearly all self-tapping for the exterior panels is either M6.3-1.81 or M4.2-1.41 of various lengths.

If you have some that you feel are correct for fit and finish that would be a tremendous plus for identification purposes.

You can do likely all of the hardware you need locally either at collision shop suppliers, the collision shops or most any dealer. If you've a relationship with a GM parts dept some of the cataloging identifies and part #'s hardware. It's sporadic/hit-miss for most C4's.

Amazon is a very good identifier if you just search M4.2-1.41 or eBay also. Just get familiar with the various head styles, material, fixed washer or spinning washer.

Post here specific locations and there's likely someone familiar with the requirement. Always include the year.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:08 AM
2Tarpon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought some from my local Chevrolet dealer.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

For more specific hardware information with part numbers you will need the GM parts catalog for C4. They are readily available on CD.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:46 PM
chadk
Racer

Thanks for reply everyone and special thanks to WVZR-1. Knowing some basic specs about the fasteners really helps. I will take a picture later and post it of the area I need a few fasteners for. Its behind the rear wheel. I removed some mud flaps that the previous owner installed (No not the yosemite sam kind). I don't want to re-use the hardware I took off because I know its not correct and besides the fact the left did not match the right side.

95 corvette.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:00 PM
chadk
Racer

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The FSM isn't going to help you very much in that search. Become familiar with Metric specs for the self-tapping hardware. Nearly all self-tapping for the exterior panels is either M6.3-1.81 or M4.2-1.41 of various lengths.

If you have some that you feel are correct for fit and finish that would be a tremendous plus for identification purposes.

You can do likely all of the hardware you need locally either at collision shop suppliers, the collision shops or most any dealer. If you've a relationship with a GM parts dept some of the cataloging identifies and part #'s hardware. It's sporadic/hit-miss for most C4's.

Amazon is a very good identifier if you just search M4.2-1.41 or eBay also. Just get familiar with the various head styles, material, fixed washer or spinning washer.

Post here specific locations and there's likely someone familiar with the requirement. Always include the year.
I located the M4.2-1.41 at Lowes. They where exactly what was needed. I did not find the large bolt scene in the picture as the bright shiny one. It's the larger bolt that secures the fender to the support brace. I used a #14 screw as it worked but would still like to put correct bolt in. You think it's the M6 you listed above?

Old 07-06-2015, 06:17 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Yes quite sure and likely something near 20mm in length. It's M6.3 if it threads into a J-nut but if the brace was actually threaded and there was no J-nut then it's likely just an M6X1X15 or so bolt with a flanged head. If your #14 was forced then maybe you'll have an issue if the brace is threaded, if it's a J-nut then you just maybe need a proper J-nut to reattach.

Get notified of new replies

To Does FSM provide detailed info about hardware?

Quick Reply: Does FSM provide detailed info about hardware?