Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Introducing a New Concept in Car Care!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 09:24 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Default Introducing a New Concept in Car Care!

Background. I'm a long time Corvette Forum member and I own two Corvettes, a C3 and a C4. I also own an '06 Ford Focus as well. That's three cars I have to take care of, with oil changes and whatnot. I am a busy guy (like many of us) and I got sick of looking up the Part Numbers for the various Maintenance Consumables, including the Oil Filter, Air Filter and other necessities. Or worse, having to thumb through a worn out catalog at the Auto Parts Store or standing in line at the Parts Counter.

So I came up with the idea of writing it down on index cards, but they don't live very long in my glove compartment or I'd lose them, so I came up with the idea of putting all that information on a plastic business card!

I have a small company (besides my job at the Lockheed Martin Skunk Works) that has the main purpose of coming up with concepts and ideas. My Patent Lawyer did a Patent Search and we found out, that nobody has ever done this before, so we now have a Provisional Patent going on this as well. I want to preview this on the C4 Community first as my Torch Red, 1995 C4, was my first love (and it's certainly more comfortable and travel friendly, than my '74, 4 speed car!).

The whole idea is that you'll never have to look up what you need to take care of any car you have, ever again. I had 250 cards printed up and will be mailing them out, as sample cards to the Automotive Aftermarket Industry, including Manufacturers, Retailers and the various Blogs and Magazines, but I wanted you guys (and gals) to see it first!

You could put this in your wallet or glove compartment, go to the Auto Parts store, whip it out and have all the information you need, right at your fingertips, instantly.

This is the CarInfoCard, They are not for sale, as the infrastructure behind it, doesn't exist, but it will soon, either through a partnership, licensing it out or doing it myself.

Front of CarInfoCard.

Rear of CarInfoCard.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 PM
DATeem
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Great idea. I have several vehicles, all very different in needs and having a quick reference like this would be handy (yeah, any of us could make them up, and in other parts of my life I am very organized and do things like this but would I ever get around to it...). If the cost is reasonable I think you might have something!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Shouldn't the headlight be H6054?

No AC Delco part numbers?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:58 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I like the idea. At my age, 20, I would just save those pics to my phone under the folder"vette parts". No offense, just being honest. But those part numbers help, in the event someone at a parts store gives you the wrong number.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:53 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

where are the Delco part numbers. That's what I use.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:49 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by enventr
where are the Delco part numbers. That's what I use.
The AC Delco part numbers are what you would choose, when ordering the card. It will give the consumer up to five brand choices of Oil, Air and Fuel Filters when ordering the card. That way, if a particular brand of oil filter is out of stock, you may get an alternative brand.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris

For the AC Delco PN's, see my response above. It's going to be a 'Consumer Choice' when ordering the cards.

Regarding the number, you are correct, it is a H6054. The picture of the card, is actually a prototype design done on an Excel Spreadsheet. I designed the graphics and had to look up each and every part, and input the info manually, so an error was made on my part.

The real card, will be driven off of, one of the Automotive Aftermarket Databases that presently supply the needs of the Retail Stores. I had 250 of these printed out as 'Sample Cards' and they were never intended to be sold or given out, but will soon be sent to representatives in the Automotive Aftermarket Industry.

Here is a picture of one of the Sample Cards, in a vinyl pocket that Avery makes:

You can apply this to the back of the glovebox door or the compartment.

Last edited by F22; 07-07-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:59 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

The herd that I'm in charge of taking care of...

I wish I had a card for my other two vehicles. The 2006 Ford Focus (which I just did an oil change last weekend and had to have the Parts Guy at NAPA, look up and retrieve the correct NAPA Gold Filter) and the 1974 Stingray.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:09 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DATeem
Great idea. I have several vehicles, all very different in needs and having a quick reference like this would be handy (yeah, any of us could make them up, and in other parts of my life I am very organized and do things like this but would I ever get around to it...). If the cost is reasonable I think you might have something!

Thanks for the kudos! The patent covers a phone and PC app as well and even a decal, but I feel that in this case, the physical card, trumps the app. It's not reliant on a weak signal or no service, nor do you have to stand around in the parts aisle and look at it, it's in your hand and some of us, like it that way.

Personally, I hate looking up stuff on the phone or PC and this is the alternative solution. It's always there in your glove compartment or wallet. Blamo, you have info on a quality hard card, with nice graphics!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:50 PM
Not4spd
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 394 Posts

I love your idea, but honestly IMO appeals more for the older guy. Millennials like myself prefer a digital form. I'd be more inclined to purchase if it was in app form. I don't live in a rural area and don't travel anywhere I don't receive a signal.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Not4spd
I love your idea, but honestly IMO appeals more for the older guy. Millennials like myself prefer a digital form. I'd be more inclined to purchase if it was in app form. I don't live in a rural area and don't travel anywhere I don't receive a signal.
It is going to be in an App form and the Patent covers that as well. I envision a direct purchase or better yet, a subscription, so that you can be made aware of any part changes. For a nominal fee, you'll still get the physical card for your glove box or wallet.

Part of the reason I'm going with the hard card, is for use by dealerships, rental fleets and government use, because all these vehicles have to be maintained and the CarInfoCard in the glove box, will save both the Lube Rack technician and the Parts Counter guy, time (which translates to money).

Also, this will apply to agricultural equipment, trucks and anything else that requires regular maintenance. A gas powered generator for example, can have the CarInfoCard mounted as a decal inside the engine compartment, with all the PN's, needed to take care of it. Or a farm, with numerous pieces of equipment will have the same information, easily accessible.

For me, the hard card in the wallet, is even faster than an app. No need to pull it up. I've tested it against the phone and usually, it's in my hand faster than it can be pulled up on the phone. Like, less than two seconds. And I don't have to deal with the auto-dim feature and have to refresh the phone, while I'm looking for the part. But I understand the mindset of the Millenials and thus, the App will be part of the deal!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:12 PM
VmaxFlyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jay Leno may like it.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:33 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F22
The herd that I'm in charge of taking care of...

I wish I had a card for my other two vehicles. The 2006 Ford Focus (which I just did an oil change last weekend and had to have the Parts Guy at NAPA, look up and retrieve the correct NAPA Gold Filter) and the 1974 Stingray.

Hey Reg--I lurk around here from time to time as I still miss my 95 Vette. From the rear shot it looks like you are still taking nice care of it--way to go!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:12 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Good luck, seems like a good idea for the pre-internet decades; no offense.

Get notified of new replies

To Introducing a New Concept in Car Care!

Quick Reply: Introducing a New Concept in Car Care!