Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

introducing oneself to other car enthusiasts: Im not one of 'those' corvette types

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:09 PM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm not sure which generalization the OP is referring to but some I've been told because I'm a Corvette owner are:

You guys talk all day about how fast you cars are but have never been on a track and haven't reached WOT the entire time you've owned your car. Come back when you've walked the walk.
You guys brag about how fast you original high perf optioned car is but you have not even started the engine since you got your car back from a restoration shop because you don't want to burn off the "correct overspray" from the exhaust manifolds. You worry more about paint dabs than rust in your cylinder bores.
You guys put down any modifications to a Corvette built before 1973 but think you're the next George Barris because you bought fifty pieces of chrome plated plastic from a catalog and stuck them on your late model Corvette using two sided tape.
You guys think a set aftermarket chrome wheels makes your car a radical custom.
You guys think owning something cool makes you cool.
You guys worship Mitchell and Duntov and condemn anybody who would change a thing on a '67 or older Vette but the reality of it is Mitchell and Duntov considered the final product to be limited by endless compromises required of a corporate product sold to the masses.
You guys are all old men trying to be something you're not.
You guys go out and buy a lift not to work on your car but so that you can wax your driveshaft.
You guys have never turned a wrench but think you're master mechanics because you've read over 50,000 pages about your car.
You guys think the as delivered car is perfection while a real car guy sees it as the starting point.
You have more articles of clothing that say "Corvette" than domestic bikers have with "HD" on them. The biggest difference between you Vette guys and Harley guys, is your uniform isn't black, it's baggy shorts with white socks and sandals.
You guys brag about the "club" but you jump all over your "Vette Brothers" in an instant if they do anything different from how you see "all things Corvette".
If talking won races, you guys would all have overflowing trophy rooms.
You guys think you're part of an exclusive club but trailer parks are full of Corvettes.
You guys (C3 specifically) own the number two car of the Disco Era, second only to a black Trans Am.
You probably have a closet full of bell bottoms to go with that car (again C3 specific).

When I'm introduced to somebody who is supposed to be a "car guy" I usually mention something other than a Vette as to the car I play with.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Onlyone
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've already got the whole "mid life crisis" one. I say hell no. It's cool and now I have 2 vehicles where people wave at me. Lol
Old 07-23-2015, 03:42 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Amotoxracer
I think I could be one of "those" corvette guys.
I may be an azzhole, but it has nothing to do with my Corvette......WW
Old 07-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default My simple reply

I don't know if a Corvette guy is any different than being "just a plain old car guy! When I was younger I had a 57 Chev with a Vette engine in it, then a 61 Chevy with the first 409, then a Mustang Cobra. Then marriage and kids-kind of a performance car void! After kids gone then a Plymouth Laser turbo and finally my 94 Vette that I always lusted for but couldn't afford new at age 70. I love to look at just parked in the garage and make up reasons to "go get something" that we don't need!
I also enjoy reading the Forum, helping if I have something to add and enjoy most of the banter between like minded people. We all need companionship. Does that make us different-I think not!

I also really enjoy watching the Barrett Jackson auctions and seeing those beautiful old cars.

Last edited by Richard Raichert; 07-23-2015 at 03:56 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-23-2015, 06:58 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
I picture "Corvette Types" as old, crotchety and you have to have their opinion or they think your stupid and won't help you.
I Guess I've been lucky so far, but then again I've only interacted with Vette guys on the street,, I avoid Car shows for these very reasons "Ultra Ego" and I have no time, or Patience for the BS..
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Whenever I am talking to other car guys, I frequently have to tell them I'm not one of 'those' corvette types that give 'corvette' a bad name.

The good news is 'those' corvette types aren't c4 guys anymore at least. Some did have a c4 at one point (and are the reason why the stigma lives on ; even for c4 owners).

The bad news is the stigma lives on and I have to do the best I can to show that not all corvette owners are like that
Meh... I'm at peace with being an @$$#013
Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM
blurooster
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, good morning. I am old, grumpy and have earned all my opinions. Drag racer, Land speed Racer, circle tracker, slalom racer, hot rodder, biker and boat guy. I can build them from scratch, fabricate, wire and am capable of a half *** paint job. I now own a red Corvette Convertible (#3) so I guess I am now a "Corvette Guy".
Old 07-24-2015, 09:58 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

At 60 I hope it's a "mid life crisis"

Rick
Old 07-24-2015, 12:33 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
At 60 I hope it's a "mid life crisis"

Rick
Rick, you could make it to 120 years old, but I wouldn't get my hopes up......WW
Old 07-24-2015, 03:25 PM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Corvettes are one of, if not the, baddest cars America has to offer. And it's production. I can understand why a lot of people are jealous. I dont care what people's opinions of me are. I'm a love it or hate it kinda person... there's usually no in between with me.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:45 PM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Image problem

I think ours is pretty dam good! Have you looked at the change in shape and size of the Harley rider lately! Went from "easy rider" rebel to overweight driver and his overweight babe. Actually they are nice guys and much preferable to our Spring Breaker crowd.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:09 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm... Still trying to figure out if I am one of "those Corvette guys." I am the kind who always wanted a Corvette but thought it beyond my dreams. Then after two shoulder surgeries and 8 months of PT, my wife suggested that I get a MG (I drove a '57 MGA in high school) because of the 4-speed. Ultimately, I found a good deal on the '88 Vette and got it even though it's automatic. Bottom line is I have thoroughly enjoyed the Vette. I am 62 and work on it frequently, either repairs, maintenance or detailing. It will never be a car show winner, but I drive it most days even though it is hard to get in and a relatively rough ride. I still remember on the drive home after buying it, I stopped and texted my younger son and said, "The drive home was worth the price!" I didn't buy it as an investment or to impress anyone else, I just thought it would be fun to drive. I have received a lot of nice comments about it, too. Just a Corvette guy, a Jaguar guy, a Mercedes guy, a Camaro guy, a Buick guy, a Chrysler guy, and an Avalanche guy -- at least that is what I am currently. But "Tomorrow is another Day!"
Old 07-25-2015, 12:55 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

I've only been a Corvette guy for about 10 months. Before I was a Ford guy and last year decided I wanted a nice car to play with. Decent Mustangs were way expensive, at least the ones I liked. I had never thought twice about a Corvette.

Always loved Z28s so I decide to find a nice IROC last summer. I looked and looked and looked, made 4 road trips with cash in hand but every one I looked at had deal breaking issues not disclosed in the ads. Thanks guys !

An old friend who's had probably a dozen Corvettes in his life swayed me into looking at them, found Target, my 89, right across the bay and I'm so happy I went this way. I love driving it, the way it handles, the race car feel when seated, glad I found her.

It's 11:52PM, the area has been rain cooled (saw 106 on Target's external temp gauge this afternoon) and I think I'll go for a drive right now.

Rick
Old 07-25-2015, 09:00 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Personally I could give a ratsa$$ what people think of me and yes,Corvette owners for the most part are jerks to begin with. Nope,I'm note one of them. I bought my first car almost 30 years ago so I've been around these guys and I'd rather hangout with Nova people over Corvette people anytime.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:34 PM
trebor99
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post. Great reading. I love it.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:29 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

My new wife hadn't seen my Vette since the ex had it ransomed in storage for 4 years. I brought it back home last October and she muttered something about it being a pu$$y catcher. I laughed at her and said, "I caught you without it, didn't I?"

She was mad at the car for a while, but it's so damned beautiful, it won her over. And back to the original point, I bought it because I love to drive hard. Can't stand soft suspensions unless the trip is 1000 miles.

There are "Corvette guys" in any group of guys. Substitute some other thing for the word Corvette and it's all the same testosterone-driven competition thing all guys (with *****) do.

I don't mind, I have mine!
Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

The club I joined is mostly retired couples with C6s, 7s and a few 5s in the mix with a scattering of earlier models. These are the friendliest, most fun loving folks I've ever met. It's as much about the socializing with them as it is the cars, great bunch of folks.

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To introducing oneself to other car enthusiasts: Im not one of 'those' corvette types

Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Corvette is equated with money.

Car guys only really care about certain year corvettes.

It's a production car not a rare exotic

I am definitely not a corvette guy. I appreciate corvette technology but they do draw a certain type of owner. Just like mustangs draw drunk and toothless or kids. lol
Old 07-31-2015, 08:37 AM
volkswagens-for-life
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Corvette is equated with money.

Car guys only really care about certain year corvettes.

It's a production car not a rare exotic

I am definitely not a corvette guy. I appreciate corvette technology but they do draw a certain type of owner. Just like mustangs draw drunk and toothless or kids. lol
LOL!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 AM
starrman62
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
After being labeled for most of my life from my time being a small child to adulthood, I stopped giving a crap what people thought of me about 30 years ago. If someone who doesn't know me wants to label me as "one of those corvette types" - he or she can go pound sand for all I care.
My wife said one of the main reasons she was attracted to me was that I didn't care what the large majority of people thought about me. She has wholeheartedly adopted my attitude. The only opinions that count with me are hers and a very few close friends.

Recently I had a few relapses of "caring" (getting old I guess) but fortunately I came to my senses.

Amen Brother! This is exactly how I have lived my life. It amazes me how many people care what others think...those people have absolutely nothing to do with my life, they don't take care of my family, they do nothing for me...why would you even care. I tell you what I think if you ask, and even did that when I was in corporate America...most of my bosses liked that, they knew where I was coming from and did not have to guess. People who worked for me liked it, they knew where they stood...just seems to make everything more real. Oh, and my wife loves it as well!

Quick Reply: introducing oneself to other car enthusiasts: Im not one of 'those' corvette types