Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

introducing oneself to other car enthusiasts: Im not one of 'those' corvette types

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 01:46 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default introducing oneself to other car enthusiasts: Im not one of 'those' corvette types

Whenever I am talking to other car guys, I frequently have to tell them I'm not one of 'those' corvette types that give 'corvette' a bad name.

The good news is 'those' corvette types aren't c4 guys anymore at least. Some did have a c4 at one point (and are the reason why the stigma lives on ; even for c4 owners).

The bad news is the stigma lives on and I have to do the best I can to show that not all corvette owners are like that
Old 07-20-2015, 02:09 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Whenever I am talking to other car guys, I frequently have to tell them I'm not one of 'those' corvette types that give 'corvette' a bad name.

The good news is 'those' corvette types aren't c4 guys anymore at least. Some did have a c4 at one point (and are the reason why the stigma lives on ; even for c4 owners).

The bad news is the stigma lives on and I have to do the best I can to show that not all corvette owners are like that
Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
Old 07-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

After being labeled for most of my life from my time being a small child to adulthood, I stopped giving a crap what people thought of me about 30 years ago. If someone who doesn't know me wants to label me as "one of those corvette types" - he or she can go pound sand for all I care.
My wife said one of the main reasons she was attracted to me was that I didn't care what the large majority of people thought about me. She has wholeheartedly adopted my attitude. The only opinions that count with me are hers and a very few close friends.

Recently I had a few relapses of "caring" (getting old I guess) but fortunately I came to my senses.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:08 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver96ce
After being labeled for most of my life from my time being a small child to adulthood, I stopped giving a crap what people thought of me about 30 years ago. If someone who doesn't know me wants to label me as "one of those corvette types" - he or she can go pound sand for all I care.
My wife said one of the main reasons she was attracted to me was that I didn't care what the large majority of people thought about me. She has wholeheartedly adopted my attitude. The only opinions that count with me are hers and a very few close friends.

Recently I had a few relapses of "caring" (getting old I guess) but fortunately I came to my senses.

Great stuff! Thanks for the reminder
Freedom from he tyranny of other people's thoughts...
Old 07-20-2015, 06:30 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Some of my buddies work at summit racing equipment- they have termed 'corvette egos' or something of the like.

And don't forget only corvette people bash earlier gens of their cars instead of sharing together as enthusiasts

There's the hit on the waitress types at the drive-in

Those are some of the corvette stigmAs unique to our community.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:31 PM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

its interesting to hear this particular conversation pop up on a regular basis, looking from outside the USA.
Those "corvette types" dont really seem to exist in Australia. its an expensive exercise to own a vette in oz, after they have been bought in US dollars, imported, converted to RHD and registered in the particular state. It ensures that the cars are cherished and 'loved' because of the investment and effort involved. But its not just rich people who buy them here, mostly they are owned by enthusiasts who are prepared to make sacrifices to own and maintain the car.
In our club we have everything from C1 to C6 owners, and 99% of the time everyone gets on together, this c4 "thing" doesnt exist. We usually diss the c3 owners when they try and keep up with us on club runs !
I think that because of the sheer numbers of Corvettes and corvette owners in America this situation will exist, there are just too many people (with too many different agenda's) to get on well together.
The c4 is now probably the most affordable vette in the US, people can buy them cheap, drive them into the ground, then call the wrecking yard to come and take it away when they are finished, and that makes it easy for people who buy C6 and C7 vettes to boost their ego's, to then look down on all c4 owners.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:35 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I think I could be one of "those" corvette guys.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:16 AM
rocknroller
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Like what?
Old 07-21-2015, 01:35 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I picture "Corvette Types" as old, crotchety and you have to have their opinion or they think your stupid and won't help you.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Amen brutha! I am who I am and if you have a problem with it, that's your problem...
Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 AM
kg4fku
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
I picture "Corvette Types" as old, crotchety and you have to have their opinion or they think your stupid and won't help you.
I don't understand? You are always allowed to have your own opinion, no matter how wrong it may be....
Old 07-23-2015, 07:46 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by ovrebo1
Amen to this! Hence why I created this post

Yes corvette customers have a reputation for being tough customers (Micro managing And overanyzing everything)
Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't have that problem.
I'm pretty open about my love of all things performance (except porsches..they look stupid..sorry..they just do to me), when I'm at shows. I'm a gear head through and through. I can appreciate even a rust bucket if there's clearly love in it.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:08 PM
ovrebo1
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by kg4fku
I don't understand? You are always allowed to have your own opinion, no matter how wrong it may be....
Not on the corvette forum
Old 07-23-2015, 12:24 PM
84XfireAuto
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Preach it Brother!

I may have an attitude, but I dont have a problem with it.

If someone gives me s**t about my '84 CFI being a "junk" Corvette, I will give them attitude, and point out that Id rather drive a "junk" Vette, than anything else.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:38 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by blackozvet
Those "corvette types" dont really seem to exist in Australia.
In my experience, it is largely absent outside this forum!

A truck club associate calls my Vette a "parts car"; all in good jest. The stellar price/performance ratio has him buying Corvette parts! I have ample material to tease back about his crappy lil Brit box Mini.

Some parts and service providers dislike anyone who knows something, and as enthusiasts who know how to and take proper care of their cars, we make the top of their lists, as if I care. That is a strong nudge for me to go elsewhere, akin to a Doc who doesn't listen to his patient.

Some Corvette owners are a PITA, but so is a percentage of the populace! Usually, they are not on this forum and not at car shows (more than once).

I guess they are the non-wavers!

Last edited by whalepirot; 07-23-2015 at 12:41 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To introducing oneself to other car enthusiasts: Im not one of 'those' corvette types

Old 07-23-2015, 12:58 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Around here it is that vette owners are old and compensating for something because of the long hood.

Originally Posted by ccrvtt
The only Corvette stigma I've heard lately is that most Corvette owners are old guys. Shoot, I'm old (65). My neighbor (C6) is 69. One of my favorite Corvette guys is in his mid 70's and just had his C5 supercharged.
If I'm old now because I have a vette I don't want to know what is like to be as old as you are your ancient.

I'm 28.

EDIT
Also that they are mid-life crisis cars.

Last edited by aDigitalPhantom; 07-23-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:19 PM
RiponCorvette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of my buddies work at summit racing equipment- they have termed 'corvette egos' or something of the like.

And don't forget only corvette people bash earlier gens of their cars instead of sharing together as enthusiasts

There's the hit on the waitress types at the drive-in

Those are some of the corvette stigmAs unique to our community.
I NEVER understood why Corvette owners bash older corvettes. I've had so many people tell me that the C4 is a crap car. It has its problems, its also very old. But the C4 is, in my opinion, the whole reason modern Corvettes exist and look the way they do.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:19 PM
merlin601
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, the Corvette is sort of a in your face car, that's not why I bought mine, I bought my 84' because the price was right, it was in great shape and I liked it. As far as its an old guys car well sometimes we have to wait to get stuff like that because our extra money is being used for stupid stuff like the mortgage, college and all that other stuff, heck I'm 58 and patiently waited until all that stuff was taken care of to get mine. Suddenly my wife says "hey we can afford to buy a Corvette now" after almost a 50 year wait job done.
A guy I work with kept giving me crap about my C4, until one of the others guys chimed in "but they don't have a museum for your Ford Focus". he never said a word after that.

Quick Reply: introducing oneself to other car enthusiasts: Im not one of 'those' corvette types