Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Seat belt/interior question - Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:45 PM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat belt/interior question - Need help.

Hello,

I have a 92 Corvette that i'm currently refinishing the interior. Everything is so dam expensive its impossible for me to do everything that's needed at once. The seat belt receivers in my car need to be replaced (seat belts themselves work properly). The receiver on the passenger side is broken. I have found some used ones on ebay and noticed there seems to be two different style seat belt receivers for the C4's. The one I have, the metal receiver with GM logo was used from 84-94. From 95-96 the seat belt receivers were made of plastic. I am wondering if anyone knows if the newer style seat belt receivers would work with by seat belts? I'm assuming it should, from what I can tell the seat belt looks the same in the never C4's, only the seat belt receiver appears to be different. I have attached some pictures of both styles to reference. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Its cheaper to purchase a set of the newer style receivers versus one of the metal GM logo receiver like I currently have in my car. I also think the newer style receivers look more modern then the ones I have now.

On another note, I was wondering if anyone knows of a vendor that sells the interior carpet sections individually or does everyone just sell a "Kit"? I've seen some vendors that carry just the front section or rear section as well as offering the complete carpet set as a kit but have never seen anyone selling individual parts. The only carpet section that needs to be replaced in my car is the drivers side floor and the drivers side front speaker cover. The rest of the carpeting is in excellent condition. I just would rather not purchase the entire front set if I don't have too. I wouldn't need to use 90% of the kit. The carpet door sills, lower dash panels, tunnel sides and hole passenger side isn't needed. If anyone knows of a vendor that sells the carpet sections individually please let me know. Even if its a used parts supplier that should be fine as long as the carpet pieces I need are in good condition.

Anyone that can offer me any insite on either or both topics I would greatly appreciate it. The seat belt receivers are on ebay, the style that's in my car has 1 day left before auction ends & 2 days left on auction for the newer style receivers. So far I have installed new seat covers, sun visors with necessary hardware and I replaced the factory bose system with a new head unit, all new wiring ran for the deck, new speaker wiring, 5-1/4" 3-way speakers installed in the front factory location with minor modifications for proper fitment and a pair of 3-way 6x9's in the rear. Took probably an entire weeks worth of labor to do this since I practically had to gut the interior to run all the wiring and maybe half a day total to do the seats and sun visors. Over a thousand dollars later, 40+ hours of my time and still some to go. If I end up having to purchase the entire front kit to replace the worn carpeting its going to cost me probably around $300.00 (cheapest I've seen is like 270.00 plus shipping). Then I still have the cost of the seat belt receivers and new floor mats for front & back. This will easily be another $250.00 or better in addition to the $300.00 for the carpet set so anything I can do to keep the costs down would be ideal. It seems like one you get started with rebuilding these cars it turns into a very expensive never ending battle. All the mechanical has been taken care of, replaced all worn parts, changed all fluids, engine oil, antifreeze, break fluid, trans & rear diff. Tires were replaced just before I purchased the car along with new brake pads. I can't imagine what it costs to do everything, new paint, motor built, etc. My hats off to anyone that has taken that route! Thanks guys for your help!
Steve-
Attached Images       
Old 07-31-2015, 02:53 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 1992Corvette
I am wondering if anyone knows if the newer style seat belt receivers would work with by seat belts?
No, the clasp design on the belt is different. you will need the 94-older style, unless you swap the belt assembly

Originally Posted by 1992Corvette
On another note, I was wondering if anyone knows of a vendor that sells the interior carpet sections individually or does everyone just sell a "Kit"?
The only carpet section that needs to be replaced in my car is the drivers side floor and the drivers side front speaker cover.
eBay or the parts section here for the individual pieces.. I have seen the front, rear, or complete kits
Old 07-31-2015, 05:17 PM
1992Corvette
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
No, the clasp design on the belt is different. you will need the 94-older style, unless you swap the belt assembly

eBay or the parts section here for the individual pieces.. I have seen the front, rear, or complete kits
Thank you. I appreciate the feedback. I'm going to just order the passenger side seat belt receiver that's made for my car since my seat belts are fine and I don't want to replace them. I'll have to check ebay and watch the forsale section of this form for the carpet section. Thanks again!
Steve-
Old 07-31-2015, 10:22 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I cant answer your questions. However, I can offer advice on changing out the "belts". USE a IMPACT to loosen the bolts. They are very easy to strip, then you have an all day job. Don't ask how I know,

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belt/interior question - Need help.

Quick Reply: Seat belt/interior question - Need help.