Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1995 Replacement/second set of keys ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:07 PM
JWASR64
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1995 Replacement/second set of keys ??

What is required, how much of a pain is it if I buy a car with 1 remote & 1 set of keys ? Does it cost a lot to get a second set of keys for a 95.

Thank you for your replies !!

BA
Old 08-01-2015, 07:20 PM
gresmi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JWASR64
What is required, how much of a pain is it if I buy a car with 1 remote & 1 set of keys ? Does it cost a lot to get a second set of keys for a 95.

Thank you for your replies !!

BA
I'm going to follow this post. I too have a '95 and my first set of keys, with the security nugget embedded in the key, has failed. I'm using my 2nd set of keys which is in even worse shape and i think its just a matter of time.

Not to hijack this post, but do all '95 corvettes have keyless entry? I've owned mine for 7 years and neither set of keys had a remote for keyless entry.

Thanks for the post, I have been meaning to ask this for a long time and always forget...your post reminded me!!

Greg
Old 08-01-2015, 07:54 PM
Pete919
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a set on the auction site for about $15. There are threads explaining how to measure the resistance on the chip key, then follow directions on the vendor website to order. Few more dollars to have them cut at the hardware store.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:00 PM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by gresmi

Not to hijack this post, but do all '95 corvettes have keyless entry? I've owned mine for 7 years and neither set of keys had a remote for keyless entry.
Yes, it was standard equipment for all 1993-1996 Corvettes
Old 08-01-2015, 08:06 PM
gresmi
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RollaMo-LT4
Yes, it was standard equipment for all 1993-1996 Corvettes
Damn, so I've been manually unlocking my doors for years!! 😀 Makes me wonder what happened to both of the remotes??? Thanks for the information, very much appreciated!!

Greg
Old 08-01-2015, 08:10 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Cheapest keys I found was flebay use your ohm meter to check for the right one. look on youtube to see how.

Cheapest fob I found was on amazon still not cheap.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:41 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I just did this for my '96.

I measured the one key that I had to find the resistance value. Then I found key blanks on the auction site (I found 2 for $6 each). I read that the dealer will cut them for free, so I asked mine about it. I even told them that I already had the blanks. They said no problem. The cut the two keys I bought for no charge. I also read a couple other posts that the dealer did it for them at no cost also.

The key resistance value chart is below.

Good luck.

Last edited by QCVette; 08-01-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Damn, so I've been manually unlocking my doors for years!! 😀 Makes me wonder what happened to both of the remotes??? Thanks for the information, very much appreciated!!

Greg
they are more of a PITA then using a key. I have both for my 94. they work like they should. i just never use them. in fact I should just sell them
Old 08-02-2015, 11:34 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
they are more of a PITA then using a key. I have both for my 94. they work like they should. i just never use them. in fact I should just sell them
Everyone will have their own opinion, but I agree they are a PITA and I don't use mine either.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:10 PM
92MOvette
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by QCVette
I just did this for my '96.

I measured the one key that I had to find the resistance value. Then I found key blanks on the auction site (I found 2 for $6 each). I read that the dealer will cut them for free, so I asked mine about it. I even told them that I already had the blanks. They said no problem. The cut the two keys I bought for no charge. I also read a couple other posts that the dealer did it for them at no cost also.

The key resistance value chart is below.

Good luck.

I went to my local Chevy dealer and they had the blanks and cut a key for me. Think they charged me $10.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:07 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Greg
The fobs are expensive. Before you buy one make sure that the functions all seem to be working. Do this by performing the procedure for programming a fob to the car (well, it's really programming the car to the fob, but anyway). The procedure is in the owners manual and you should do everything right up until you are supposed to bring the fob in range. Make sure the light blinks when it says it should. If it doesn't, no point buying a fob, the PKE module in the car is probably shot.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:43 PM
sluggballz
Burning Brakes

Received 183 Likes on 121 Posts

Default 1995 Replacement/second set of keys ??

I've had two fobs for a 95 convertible. My mistake was keeping the fob on a heavily laden key chain. Broke the battery terminals on both fobs, actually more like ripped the terminals off of the board, when I dropped my key chain. I liked the fobs when they worked, but I don't miss them. And besides, I never lock my convertible, I'd prefer someone just open the door to see that there's nothing of value as opposed to cutting my top!
Old 08-02-2015, 06:45 PM
sactorandy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Keys

I just went to my dealer and had new keys made for about $13. That is the easiest thing to do. Later I got fed up with the car trying to out-smart me and bought the bypass and am very happy with it. No more problems with the keys and the car not starting because of the VATS. Who at GM signed off on this system? Bet they don't work there anymore..

My pos fob never really worked. I prefer to use the key to unlock the door. Who is going to steel one of these cars anyway? The rodders all want LS engines now. Heck, even I want one. Moving on.....

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 Replacement/second set of keys ??

Quick Reply: 1995 Replacement/second set of keys ??