C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Split Wire Loom Tape

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 AM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Split Wire Loom Tape

Is there a special electrical tape used for wrapping the wire loom in the engine compartment? My black electrical tape does not seem to want to stick to the new stuff I am replacing with the old. Either my tape is old or there is some type of mold release film on the split wire loom cause it does not want to stick.
What type of tape is good for under the hood?
Old 08-02-2015, 05:55 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

don't know if the "electrical" tape is the same as harness tape, or whether harness tape is suitable for the plastic harness loom. I've been doing some engine compartment cleanup, and have run into the same problem. on my 85, some of my wiring or harness loom is terminated with plastic snap connectors, similar to rosebud clips, and some are terminated with harness or electrical tape. if you are not too concerned with originally, I've been using small black nylon tie-wraps to terminate the wiring loom, or a combo of electrical tape and tie-wraps or the (original) clips. there doesn't seem to be any factory standard for terminating this stuff. I've seen this more than once on assembly drawings - "terminate as required."

Last edited by Joe C; 08-02-2015 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:10 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

There's different quality/grades of 'self-infusing' tape that's intended for wire harness/loom creation and is available at many places. If you're doing harnesses that you can 'slip-over' the conduit I've use heat-shrink. That does very well.

If you're needing any of the specialty conduit clips or fasteners the 'more popular' are available from Mouser/Power & Signal or others. The more popular are in this .pdf

https://www.powerandsignal.com/docs/...&%20Clamps.pdf

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-02-2015 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:17 AM
chadk
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the replys and the link to the pdf.
I was doing some reading last night and concluded that electrical tape is not the best thing to use. It becomes gooey a falls off. Plus it leaves the wires sticky. I got to get that stuff of. Ugh.

Get notified of new replies

To Split Wire Loom Tape

Quick Reply: Split Wire Loom Tape