C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 auto with a vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:35 AM
bullguts
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C4 auto with a vibration

I recently had my 1989 auto transmission recond , and from then on had a vibration . Rebalanced all the wheels , new universal joints on the half shafts , and brand new , steel main drive shaft . Still got a vibration , but the automatic repairer says it's got nothing to do with him . It's gone from being a pleasure to drive , to just being a worry now . I would appreciate any ideas . Thank you .
Old 08-02-2015, 09:45 PM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Can you get a second opinion from another trans shop? Seems obvious that something changed since having the trans rebuilt. Good luck maybe a transmission person here will have some more specific advice.

Rick
Old 08-03-2015, 04:52 AM
bullguts
Advanced

Originally Posted by Whiteonrice
Can you get a second opinion from another trans shop? Seems obvious that something changed since having the trans rebuilt. Good luck maybe a transmission person here will have some more specific advice.

Rick
ok thanks rick , cheers
Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Vibration could stem from the torque converter or pressure plate (not very likely), or the too the main drive shaft balance.

Balance issue w/in the transmission? Not so much. But, if you put it in park and rev to the rpm where vibration was experienced and you have the vibration, then I'd suspect something amiss with the converter/pressure plate. However, if the vibration is only present when in drive, I'd be looking at the main drive shaft next.

I experienced a severe "buzz" vibration (especially on the gear shift ****) right after I'd changed U-joints. I'd read but forgotten a note in the FSM (I think it was?) that said to reference (mark) the driveshaft and the yokes before removing the shaft from the car so as to install the shaft in the same position, relative to the yoke(s) to assure balancing is not disturbed.

Sure enough! All I had to do was remove the shaft and turn it 180º relative to the differential yoke, and the vibration was gone for good. (I guess I got lucky(?) on the slip-yoke end of the shaft.)

If you determine (while in PARK) the vibration is in the possibly in the driveshaft(s), and since they're new, I'd consider taking it to a drive-line shop and have them check the balance and also see that the yoke centerlines are true with the new shaft while they're at it.

I kinda doubt the half-shafts would be out of balance enough to cause any vibration, due to the relative low rpm, unless something is really out of whack. But, if you have a vibration that starts at low mph and continues from there up the scale, then maybe.

Chances are you'll find the problem to be other than the transmission. But, "never say never"! If everything checks out, leaving only the trans, I agree w/ what Rick said. Or, at the very least, it's time to pull it and spin it and see what's what, I recon!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:33 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Are the bolts tight on the trans mount
Old 08-03-2015, 05:03 PM
bullguts
Advanced

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Vibration could stem from the torque converter or pressure plate (not very likely), or the too the main drive shaft balance.

Balance issue w/in the transmission? Not so much. But, if you put it in park and rev to the rpm where vibration was experienced and you have the vibration, then I'd suspect something amiss with the converter/pressure plate. However, if the vibration is only present when in drive, I'd be looking at the main drive shaft next.

I experienced a severe "buzz" vibration (especially on the gear shift ****) right after I'd changed U-joints. I'd read but forgotten a note in the FSM (I think it was?) that said to reference (mark) the driveshaft and the yokes before removing the shaft from the car so as to install the shaft in the same position, relative to the yoke(s) to assure balancing is not disturbed.

Sure enough! All I had to do was remove the shaft and turn it 180º relative to the differential yoke, and the vibration was gone for good. (I guess I got lucky(?) on the slip-yoke end of the shaft.)

If you determine (while in PARK) the vibration is in the possibly in the driveshaft(s), and since they're new, I'd consider taking it to a drive-line shop and have them check the balance and also see that the yoke centerlines are true with the new shaft while they're at it.

I kinda doubt the half-shafts would be out of balance enough to cause any vibration, due to the relative low rpm, unless something is really out of whack. But, if you have a vibration that starts at low mph and continues from there up the scale, then maybe.

Chances are you'll find the problem to be other than the transmission. But, "never say never"! If everything checks out, leaving only the trans, I agree w/ what Rick said. Or, at the very least, it's time to pull it and spin it and see what's what, I recon!
thank you very much
Old 08-03-2015, 05:04 PM
bullguts
Advanced

Originally Posted by enventr
Are the bolts tight on the trans mount
i will check that thank you
Old 08-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

What is the frequency of the vibration? Drive shaft speed? Engine speed? Or wheel speed?
Old 08-04-2015, 02:32 AM
bullguts
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
What is the frequency of the vibration? Drive shaft speed? Engine speed? Or wheel speed?
well the vibration seems to be between 60 and 80 kilometers an hour . At 70 is at its worse and does not seem to make a difference if in drive or neutral . It is still under warranty . I rang around and made some enquiries from other transmission places . They say it's rare , but could be the flex plate , or torque converter out of balance . Trust me to draw the short straw . Any how thanks for asking , cheers
Old 08-04-2015, 05:03 AM
bullguts
Advanced

thanks a lot , good one , cheers
Old 08-04-2015, 10:06 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by bullguts
well the vibration seems to be between 60 and 80 kilometers an hour . At 70 is at its worse and does not seem to make a difference if in drive or neutral . It is still under warranty . I rang around and made some enquiries from other transmission places . They say it's rare , but could be the flex plate , or torque converter out of balance . Trust me to draw the short straw . Any how thanks for asking , cheers
You didn't really answer my question. I didn't ask what speed the vehicle goes to make the vibration, I asked when the vibration occurs, what is the frequency? I ask this, b/c you can quickly determine if it is wheel, driveshaft, or engine, by the frequency.

Anyway, if it "does not seem to make a difference if in drive or neutral", and that is true, then we can pretty well eliminate the engine, flex plate, and torque converter. That leaves the driveshaft and wheels, as most likely suspects.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:21 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

You didn't really answer my question. I didn't ask what speed the vehicle goes to make the vibration, I asked when the vibration occurs, what is the frequency? I ask this, b/c you can quickly determine if it is wheel, driveshaft, or engine, by the frequency.

Anyway, if it "does not seem to make a difference if in drive or neutral", and that is true, then we can pretty well eliminate the engine, flex plate, and torque converter. That leaves the driveshaft and wheels, as most likely suspects.

Question tho... How would I go about determining the specific frequency of the vibration, Tom? Are you asking for specific frequencies, or rpm where it occurs?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bullguts
I recently had my 1989 auto transmission recond , and from then on had a vibration . Rebalanced all the wheels , new universal joints on the half shafts , and brand new , steel main drive shaft . Still got a vibration , but the automatic repairer says it's got nothing to do with him . It's gone from being a pleasure to drive , to just being a worry now . I would appreciate any ideas . Thank you .
Was the drive shaft replaced at the same time as the transmission repair? Or after you were trying to eliminate the vibration? Im wondering if it is properly balanced? How old are the tires? Im wondering if they sat for a long while they maybe flat spotted. GC
Old 08-04-2015, 10:39 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Good questions^

Question tho... How would I go about determining the specific frequency of the vibration, Tom? Are you asking for specific frequencies, or rpm where it occurs?
Easy....just use a Snap-On Vibrationometer.

Seriously, I mean, basically some common sense. Wheel/tires out of round or balance make a frequency so low you can almost count it (at say, 60mph), and a driveshaft is way to fast for that; 2.5-3.5 times higher frequency....so it sounds more like a low hum or Bass through the center console/shifter.

Engine is easy b/c the frequency would change (as would intensity) with engine speed -moving or parked in neutral.

One thing that is odd, is the OP said it is worst at ~70 KPH...which is something like 43 mph. That is awfully slow to be getting serious driveline vibes....tire too.

I guess if I couldn't isolate it by frequency, I'd throw it on 4 jack stands, have someone "drive" it 70 kph and lay under it to see where the source is.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Why not get it up above the 'worst' speed, after checking all bolt tightness and security of the shafts, then select neutral, to isolate the engine from the driveline? I think Chevy recommends NOT 'driving' the car while elevated for a few reasons, besides safety.

I recall reading the import of marking the shafts prior to removal and ahd some half-shaft vibe issues before I'd read that.

Having had a driveshaft exit a Chevelle while driving, I'd want to ensure someone didn't screw up and leave some rotating part loose!

In any event, if there was no such vibration before this ONE shop did the work, and there is now, guess who bears the responsibility to redo it properly? Hopefully, their denial is not an indication of their workmanship, but.....
Old 08-04-2015, 11:13 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by whalepirot
I think Chevy recommends NOT 'driving' the car while elevated for a few reasons, besides safety.
Where is that recommendation? I'd like to see that one.

Let's not scare our selves out of doing something that is perfectly reasonable (when done with a brain). That is why you use 4 jack stands...safely

A little commons sense and awareness goes a long way.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:38 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Well, yeah. Anything done under a car should involve 'a brain'.

I don't have time to research it, now, but it dealt with the high U-joint angles with the rotation.

I see you have 'driven' yours while elevated, too.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 auto with a vibration

Old 08-04-2015, 11:43 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Good questions^

Easy....just use a Snap-On Vibrationometer.

Seriously, I mean, basically some common sense. Wheel/tires out of round or balance make a frequency so low you can almost count it (at say, 60mph), and a driveshaft is way to fast for that; 2.5-3.5 times higher frequency....so it sounds more like a low hum or Bass through the center console/shifter.

Yeah, OK (we're on the same page)

It's been a while, so I don't remember specifically what my speed MPH was when the first harmonic appeared. But, I seem to think it was less than 70 mph (IIRC).

It was more than just a minor vibration too, becoming quite audible as well as felt throughout the cabin. Some loose change in one of the cup holders rattled and buzzed quite noticeably. No question: Something was seriously wrong. I was glad it turned out to be a simple fix.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by whalepirot
Well, yeah. Anything done under a car should involve 'a brain'.

I don't have time to research it, now, but it dealt with the high U-joint angles with the rotation.

I see you have 'driven' yours while elevated, too.
I have, and for this same issue. Mine was the slip yoke bushing was worn.

If you jack stand the rear of the car (safely) under the knuckles, axle shaft angles are the same as when driving on the road.

However, when I did mine, it was w/the axle shafts removed, b/c I already knew (from the frequency) that it was a drive shaft issue.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 AM
bullguts
Advanced

well the diff is very noisy now , so that is the next thing ,plus i bought a recond yoke and had a steel drive shaft built because the aluminium one , had too much runout . New universals on the half shafts , new rear tyres and near new front tyres and all recently balanced . Auto is still under warranty and i will go back there when i have the diff recond and the workshop is happy with that too . The frequency is it vibrates between 60 and 80 k's which is about 40 to 50 miles an hour , and not below or above that . I told the workshop guy that i thought it was the torque converter causing it , but he said that he gets them tested first . Any how thanks for the tip , cheers

Quick Reply: C4 auto with a vibration