Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1996 Collectors Edition getting hot when idling

Old 08-03-2015, 01:46 AM
shakeandbake0000
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Collectors Edition getting hot when idling

Hi. My wife and I have a 1996 Collectors Edition corvette which currently resides in New Zealand. When the car is idling for about 10min or even after driving and then idling the temperture gauge will almost reach the hottest temp. Coolant levels are all okay. I was concerned that the overflow tank was to full as it was just over the hot mark. I dont think this is the issue but I took some out down to half way between cold and hot mark. Any ideas what it could be. Air filter is pretty dirty and will be replaced but dont think thats the cause. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 AM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Probably not

Originally Posted by shakeandbake0000
Hi. My wife and I have a 1996 Collectors Edition corvette which currently resides in New Zealand. When the car is idling for about 10min or even after driving and then idling the temperture gauge will almost reach the hottest temp. Coolant levels are all okay. I was concerned that the overflow tank was to full as it was just over the hot mark. I dont think this is the issue but I took some out down to half way between cold and hot mark. Any ideas what it could be. Air filter is pretty dirty and will be replaced but dont think thats the cause. Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
See previous threads on same subject. Make sure your fans come on by 228 degrees, have gauges in digital mode instead of analog. Lot's of people had the same worry but C4's are designed to run hotter than we are used to seeing with other cars!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 AM
shakeandbake0000
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Richard Raichert
See previous threads on same subject. Make sure your fans come on by 228 degrees, have gauges in digital mode instead of analog. Lot's of people had the same worry but C4's are designed to run hotter than we are used to seeing with other cars!
Thanks for the reply. I will make sure the fans are coming on.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:51 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

If you turn on the A/C the fans should come on
Old 08-03-2015, 12:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Check for dirt and debris that may be clogging the area between the tubes and fins of both the A/C condenser and the radiator. Too much junk in there and airflow can be dramatically reduced which caused high temps. While not too common of a problem, the lower radiator hose may be collapsing which cuts coolant flow.

Also, use the digital temp readout instead of the analog gauge. What are the temps (in Fahrenheit!!) you are seeing? As mentioned, many newer cars, at least here in the US, are designed to run at higher coolant temps in order to reduce emissions. For a late model C4, coolant temps anywhere from 190 up to 230 are considered "normal". The ECM controls fan operation based on input from the coolant temp sensors.

With the engine cold (or at least an hour after engine shutoff) remove the pressure cap from the expansion tank and check the level. It should be up to the base of the filler neck. Is it? If not, add a 50-50 mix of a DexCool coolant and water. The overflow tank at the front should have coolant at the "COLD" mark. Coolant does flow into that tank at operating temps, but once the engine is shut off and coolant temps drop, coolant will be sucked back into the expansion tank.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:27 PM
stingray71
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 138 Posts

Are you sure your thermostat is working correctly? If not, the coolant won't flow through the engine block from the radiator to cool it down.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:50 PM
shakeandbake0000
5th Gear

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Check for dirt and debris that may be clogging the area between the tubes and fins of both the A/C condenser and the radiator. Too much junk in there and airflow can be dramatically reduced which caused high temps. While not too common of a problem, the lower radiator hose may be collapsing which cuts coolant flow.

thanks for the information. I will check all these suggestions and get back to you with the results

Also, use the digital temp readout instead of the analog gauge. What are the temps (in Fahrenheit!!) you are seeing? As mentioned, many newer cars, at least here in the US, are designed to run at higher coolant temps in order to reduce emissions. For a late model C4, coolant temps anywhere from 190 up to 230 are considered "normal". The ECM controls fan operation based on input from the coolant temp sensors.

With the engine cold (or at least an hour after engine shutoff) remove the pressure cap from the expansion tank and check the level. It should be up to the base of the filler neck. Is it? If not, add a 50-50 mix of a DexCool coolant and water. The overflow tank at the front should have coolant at the "COLD" mark. Coolant does flow into that tank at operating temps, but once the engine is shut off and coolant temps drop, coolant will be sucked back into the expansion tank.
Thanks for the information. I will check all these suggestions and get back to you with the results
Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Sounds pretty normal... as others stated these engines in the late model C4 Corvettes are designed to run hotter than most engines. Typically this is not a problem, just remember that 225*F is considered "normal."

Does the temperature come down when the fans come on?

And in situations where the temp doesn't get quite high enough to trigger the fans, does the temperature decrease when the car finally gets a chance to move and get some airflow across the radiator?

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
With the engine cold (or at least an hour after engine shutoff) remove the pressure cap from the expansion tank and check the level. It should be up to the base of the filler neck.
1 hour after shutoff, my LT1 is still near operating temperature. It takes a while for these iron blocks to cool down. I chimed in here because I don't want anyone getting burned.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:48 PM
shakeandbake0000
5th Gear

The Verdict. Took the car for a 15min drive. Temp on the digital readout got to 190. Its winter in New Zealand so outside temp is cold. The analog guage appeared to be reading higher. Got back and let it idle for about 5 min while keeping and eye on the temp and fans. Temp got to 228 and the fans kicked in. Temp dropped and fans stopped and temp went back up and fans kicked in. Bases on all the information provided by you awesome Corvette forum people I am convinced that the car is running as normal. Thanks for providing me with a better understanding on how the cooling system should be operating for this type of Corvette.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:51 PM
shakeandbake0000
5th Gear

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 Collectors Edition getting hot when idling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Collectors Edition getting hot when idling