C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dim Display on my 95

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 03:02 PM
MN JIM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dim Display on my 95

I have asked this question before of the forum but have yet to come up with an answer. The display with gas gauge / odometer is dim. Contrast is very good just is dim. The odd part is when I turn the key to start the car the display is bright. As soon as the car starts it goes back to being dim.A rebuild is pretty expensive and seeing the display is bright when I go to start it tells me the display is probably OK. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:29 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Did you check the ground under the carpet just in front of the drivers door?
Old 08-03-2015, 03:35 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

dbdreams

My Corvette Photos
Default 1995 digital speedo gas gauge dim and hard to see
My friend has a 1995 Corvette and the digital speedometer and gas gauge is dim and hard to see. Any ideas on how to fix and what the cost may be?
dbdreams is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 06:11 PM #2
WVZR-1
CF Senior Member

My Corvette Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdreams View Post
My friend has a 1995 Corvette and the digital speedometer and gas gauge is dim and hard to see. Any ideas on how to fix and what the cost may be?
Shine a very bright flashlight/LED maybe into the lens on the DIC and see what happens. Maybe clean the lens?

Do you need the LCD? Maybe but I wouldn't rush to judgment.
WVZR-1 is online now Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 06:29 PM #3
Williamlindsey
CF Senior Member

My Corvette Photos
Default lever
did he by chance hit the dimmer when he turned the lights off?
Williamlindsey is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 08:38 PM #4
8valve
CF Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

My Corvette Photos
I have this same apparent problem on my 95. In bright sun, you can hardly read the speedo. Shinning a light into the photocell does increase the brilliance of the speedo, so the electronics are working.

The big problem, for which there is no answer, what is normal, as designed. The Factory Shop Manual does not give any kind of benchmark for what is considered proper brilliance.

If I take my 95 out in bright sun, and shine a flashlight into the photo cell, the speedo gets much brighter and becomes easily readable.

My fix, that I have actually done is to take a super bright white LED. Feed it with 12 volts thru a 680 ohm resistor and stuff the LED into the recessed hole where the photocell sits.

This winter during layup, I will permanently mount the LED in the photo cell hole, paint the rear of the LED satin black to match the dash. Run power up inside the console, dash and come out by the dash AC duct and from there to the LED. I can really hide the wires so its not seen.

If the General even gave us a Voltage at the LED illumination under a given condition, we could then determine if the system was working properly. But the lack of any given tests in the FSM leads us to ambiguous determination, if there is or if there is not a problem.

8Valve
8valve is offline Report Post Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 PM #5
dbdreams

My Corvette Photos
Ill try shining a light like suggested but it I can tell the speedo is working but it is really dim, day or night. I checked the dimmer but it was set right. Ill try shining the light tomorrow.
dbdreams is offline Report Post

Found this for you
Old 08-03-2015, 03:40 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

The usual way to do this is to remove the cluster from the car and then put a glob of solder across the photocell pins to short them together. That will keep the dash back lighting at maximum brightness all the time (even at night, which might not be the best).

Cliff posted this
Old 08-04-2015, 12:32 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

You can buy replacement photocells from Batee or...

I determined that part number VT90N1 is a suitable replacement. They are available from Newark for less than a dollar each: http://www.newark.com/excelitas-tech...ar%20Resistors
Old 08-04-2015, 12:36 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
I determined that part number VT90N1 is a suitable replacement. They are available from Newark for less than a dollar each: http://www.newark.com/excelitas-tech...ar%20Resistors
the link dead-ended for me.

Thanks for the PN. I have my dash out now, with new LEDs from bates so i may as well change the sensor.

This link to Newark has them at $3.87 each, plus shipping:

http://www.newark.com/excelitas-tech...ies/dp/99F4265

this is another source, for 99 cents plus shipping of $8! : http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...paign=octopart

Last edited by whalepirot; 08-04-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:21 AM
MN JIM
Intermediate

Lots of good things to check. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:42 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

the least expensive i can find:

EXCELITAS TECH - VT90N1 - LDR, 200KOHM, 80mW, VT900 SERIES: Electronic Components: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific EXCELITAS TECH - VT90N1 - LDR, 200KOHM, 80mW, VT900 SERIES: Electronic Components: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 AM
Andy Brach
5th Gear

Default 93 dash contrast very weak

I'm buying a '93 and the speedo/dash contrast is so weak it's barely readable. The panel seems to be well lit but the contrast is the problem. Any thoughts as I've been out of the loop for many years.

Get notified of new replies

To Dim Display on my 95

Quick Reply: Dim Display on my 95