Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What inspections/tests would reflect actual mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 04:57 PM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What inspections/tests would reflect actual mileage?

What mechanical inspection or tests could you perform to give you the most accurate representation of the true mileage to assure the odometer is showing actual mileage?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderJ
What mechanical inspection or tests could you perform to give you the most accurate representation of the true mileage to assure the odometer is showing actual mileage?
Assuming this is a C4 what year?
Old 08-03-2015, 05:59 PM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wvzr-1
assuming this is a c4 what year?
1995 lt1
Old 08-03-2015, 06:05 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

1995 lt1
For a '95 have the CCM (NOT PCM/ECM) scanned for VIN and mileage. If the VIN matches the door decal/windshield then it should be safe to assume it's likely correct. It's a massive undertaking to alter both of those values in the CCM. Can it be done? Certainly, but it's not something just anyone can accomplish and it wouldn't be inexpensive either.

If the VIN isn't a match the mileage is from the VIN that is displayed from the time it was replaced + the additional miles it was driven. Have a CARFAX or similar check done on the second VIN.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-03-2015 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:41 PM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

Is scanning the CCM something only a dealership can do?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Is scanning the CCM something only a dealership can do?
Most higher end scanners can do it. Some of the lesser? I really don't know and the '95 I believe requires a unique adapter as it's an OBD1 car but the ALDL I believe is an OBD2 style. It shouldn't be a difficult find.

Is there some reason to suspect it's altered or incorrect? The FEDERAL data base has been subscribed to by nearly all of the states for several years so it seems there should be several mileage trails. Some states do inquiries before issuing a new title, some supply the information only but don't check and I was told that that the states that are shown to be 'in developement' are actually closer to compliance than not.

http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/nmvtis_states.html

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-03-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:36 AM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

I've run Carfax and the fed. VIN search, all come back "clean."
The first thing that makes me suspicious is the Carfax report. Carfax report shows mileage when first purchased (531), 4 years later (16,875) then 12 years later when 2nd owner purchased the car (35,541). Through the fed. VIN search I found mileage reports that matched Carfax plus mileage reported in the cars 5th year (20,599). Here's the thing that first caught my attention. Carfax lists "Owner 1, 1994-2011 Est. miles/year: 5,019." Friday, I sent a request to Carfax for an explanation on how they determined 5,019 miles per year with 2nd owner mileage listed to negate it and an absence of continuous listing of mileage to support it.
Also, the 2nd owner had repairs done at 36,000 miles that included water pump and intake gasket replacement. The visual appearance of the car doesn't give me definitive clues to the mileage but I would believe it if someone said it was a higher mileage car.
From what I understand if the instrument cluster or CCM was replaced that would change the displayed mileage. There is no record of either of these occurring. Also, there is no key fob for the vehicle. That could be related to a CCM replacement. All this led me to come to the forum to get information on what I could look at on the car to determine actual mileage.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

How many miles does it show on it?
Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

The key fob and cluster have nothing to do with with the mileage. As said above, the CCM (also known as Body Control Module) is the only residence of the mileage. It also controls the vats. The main reason CCM's were changed in the past were to troubleshoot vats problems, and the new CCM may or may have been adjusted to reflect true mileage.Carfax and mileage reports were often very inaccurate up until the past 10 years and still can be. Its impossible to ascertain true mileage by anything but documentation, especially after 10 or so years. I've seen 200k cars that look like 50k mile cars and I've seen 50k mile cars that you would swear had 200k on them. Some states have laws about mileage on their own, but most defer to the Federal 10 year law. That is why some states put exempt for mileage after 10 years. Even if you could prove the mileage had been changed, you would have to prove who did it , and they did it with the intent to deceive YOU. It would be a civil matter. Most people who buy older cars with low mileage find out that further from making the car more reliable, the un-use has caused many more problems. From what you've said, it sounds like you've become unhappy with the car. Since it is more than likely that there is nothing you can do, you probably should resolve to sell the car (you are not required to disclose things you can't prove and that are more than likely untrue from the information you have provided) or just enjoy the car. Good luck.

Last edited by zr1fred; 08-04-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:06 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by zr1fred
The key fob and cluster have nothing to do with with the mileage. As said above, the CCM (also known as Body Control Module) is the only residence of the mileage. It also controls the vats. The main reason CCM's were changed in the past were to troubleshoot vats problems, and the new CCM may or may have been adjusted to reflect true mileage.
Ha ha ha!! My car had this done! I bought it from a guy, who'd had the car "die" on him (wouldn't start), towed to dealer, dealer replaced the CCM. All paper work that came w/the car show a believable mileage/dates progression, up to the time of CCM replacement, when the car had 130,000 miles. The next service receipt (a few months after CCM replacement) shows 180,xxx miles. What happened!? Did the PO drive the car 50,000 miles in a couple months? No. The Duff that programmed the new CCM at the dealer hit an "8" on his scan tool, instead of a "3", while programming the CCM. Or his own hand writing was so poor he couldn't decipher an "8" from a "3".

To determine the "actual mileage" you really need to look at ALL the clues and information and see what passes the "gut-check test".

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-04-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:37 PM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:11 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just another example of why this forum is so great
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 AM
ThunderJ
Intermediate

I got a reply from Carfax.

"...Due to the fact that CARFAX can only report what has been supplied to us by our sources, we do not have any additional information other than what is listed on the report. It does appear that there are many records with missing odometer reading as well as only 2 readings under the 1st owner to average out. This may be why the estimated mileage per year seems off."

I replied..."I guess I'm surprised your organization would report something based on a subjective interpretation/est guess. I would think you'd only list facts. I also pulled a report from "CheckThatVin." It cost me $4 and had more information than the Carfax report."

Get notified of new replies

To What inspections/tests would reflect actual mileage?

Quick Reply: What inspections/tests would reflect actual mileage?