Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
View Poll Results: 1990 Corvette - Do you think they will increase in value over time?
Yes
66.04%
No
33.96%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Opinion on 1990 corvettes' value

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:09 PM
jsope
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on 1990 corvettes' value

I have a '90 vette, white exterior, black interior with 105k miles. It's in excellent condition mechanically and aesthetically. I've had it since new. I am torn between selling it or keeping it. My thoughts for keeping it is hopefully it will go up in value. Thoughts for selling...I have to maintain, drive, repair, etc. I'd really like to know what people think about the future value. In my area now..the '90 vettes in good condition are going for 8k to 12k.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:17 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by jsope
I have a '90 vette, white exterior, black interior with 105k miles. It's in excellent condition mechanically and aesthetically. I've had it since new. I am torn between selling it or keeping it. My thoughts for keeping it is hopefully it will go up in value. Thoughts for selling...I have to maintain, drive, repair, etc. I'd really like to know what people think about the future value. In my area now..the '90 vettes in good condition are going for 8k to 12k.
I personally doubt the C4's in general will see appreciation any time soon which is probably true of the vast majority of non-chrome bumpered Vettes. It sounds like you know what your's is worth since you are familiar with values in your area.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:42 PM
corvettewd
Advanced

I have heard the principles of both Barrett Jackson and Mecom auction express their opinion on C4 future values if that is meaningful to you. Both hold that C4 values may start creeping up in value but probably not in the very near future. No mention was made concerning mileage or specific condition.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:46 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by corvettewd
I have heard the principles of both Barrett Jackson and Mecom auction express their opinion on C4 future values if that is meaningful to you. Both hold that C4 values may start creeping up in value but probably not in the very near future. No mention was made concerning mileage or specific condition.
I think these guys will tell you everything goes up to entice buyers. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:06 PM
MRPVette
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

It will go up in value but not anytime soon if you enjoy it keep it but if you are just looking at it as an investment even if it goes up in value with care and maintenance it will probably just balance out.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:14 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

I am torn between selling it or keeping it. My thoughts for keeping it is hopefully it will go up in value.
If your only reason for holding onto a Corvette is the hope that it will net a higher resale in the future, you should sell it to someone who appreciates it. I'm not saying you don't care about it at all, but it's clear that your enthusiasm is gone. Get rid of it. You know what the typical prices are in your area. Start high and leave room for the usual haggling.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:51 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

While depreciation has mostly bottomed out on a car that old, realistically it may be a long time before you see any significant appreciation in value due to collectibility. If prices are going up right now it seems to be driven mostly by general inflation and I am not sure that when you consider maintenance, insurance, etc. that values aren't losing ground.

Keep the car if you want to drive it, or sell it now and invest the money on something that might give you a better return... on the other hand if you'd just use that money to buy another car... well, you'd probably be taking a hit on depreciation again...
Old 08-13-2015, 05:18 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettewd
They're kinda biased...

Anyway, right now around here you can often buy a 1980 or a 1990 in similar condition for about the same price. Prices of the mid years C3s are about the same too when it comes right down to it... to get back to where prices are significantly higher you've got to go back to 1973 and earlier... That means if you go by years, it could be another 17 years or so before a 1990 really becomes valuable... To take until 40+ years old to really start to be collectible seems pretty reasonable when you think about it.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:30 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

It will cost you in maintenance what you can possibly get back in 20 yrs.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Holding on to a car in the unrealistic hope that its' value will increase in excess of what it takes to store, maintain and insure the car is not the best investment idea in the world. It will go up in value but the amount is anybody's guess. But you're not going to make a "killing" on it.

If that's only reason you're keeping it then I think you will disappointed in the long run. In the meantime there's someone out there who would like to own it, drive it and be happy to have it in their driveway or garage.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:13 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

I see 1990s in my area for 12-18K
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM
gmboileau
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a 90 for sale in the Toronto area. Price is in Canadian dollars

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true
Old 08-14-2015, 01:15 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

In Illinois the 1990 is now considered an antique, so needless to say they definitely will if not already.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:53 AM
jimmers
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CRUZN C4
In Illinois the 1990 is now considered an antique, so needless to say they definitely will if not already.
My 90' qualified as a collector this year seeing as how it it 25 years old, but I'm not concerned about the value going up. I bought it to enjoy it, not as an investment.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:56 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

They will go up but not enough to justify keeping merely as an investment.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:00 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I voted yes but agree that it will be years and only the ones in excellent condition.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:09 AM
avipan
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also see the C4 going up but not in the near future and not by very much, it would be better to invest the money in land or something else. I do see some editions to go up and be worth some money in the future.

These would be the ZR1's, Grand Sports, Callaway, limited edition's that they introduced over the life of the C4 and some that I have not mention while writing this reply.

Anyway as long as you have fun keep driving the car, I am sure it will not fall in value by much the C4's are at rock bottom prices.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:41 PM
Nicholas Milstead
8th Gear

Keep it and enjoy it in a few years I feel that alot of the c4's will rise in value look at the second and third genration camaro's and trans am's they are skyrocketing in value I re member getting third Gen camaro's for less than a grand in awsome shape now for a grand your lucky if it runs....... I just got my 91 at a steal I bought it I will enjoy it spruce it up and when values go up I'll sell it if I'm ready ........ after 20 years in my opinion values on cars only appreciate no longer depreciate...... do u think that people.in the 50s and 60s ever thought the value of those vettes would go up as high as they are? Hell no in the 70s u could get a 50s or 60s vette dirt cheap they were just a used car now good luck finding one that runs for less than 10k again just my opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinion on 1990 corvettes' value

Quick Reply: Opinion on 1990 corvettes' value