C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 10:15 PM
redvette1985
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil issue

I know this has probably been answered before but I am new and have not quite gotten the hang of the search part.

I have a 1985 corvette that has an oil leak I can't seem to find. I have replaced the distributor seal, oil pan seal, and valve cover seals.

I had an issue with an oil filter that was replaced because it would not seal. when I turned the car on I could see oil coming from around the seal of the filter. it was on tight. I replaced the filter and it does not seem to be leaking from the filter anymore. after driving the car foe about 15 min I park it in my driveway and I can see oil drip about 4 or 6 in in front of the oil filter. there is no oil on the filter so i know that is not the problem anymore. there is also spray back on the transmission pan. I have not replaced the rear main seal or oil pressure sending unit. that was my next step. I really don't want to pay $$$ to have the rear main seal fixed. the oil is only about the size of a half dollar. is there anything else that you can think of to fix the leak?

I have looked up the sending unit and have found two different units for the 1985. can someone please post a link for the correct one so i can try to replace that before i do the rear main seal. Are there any other seals that i should replace? is there anything else I should have done if I have to replace the rear main seal.

the car sat for 2 years prior to me getting it but it runs great except for the small oil leak.

thanks in advance,
Nate
Old 08-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by redvette1985
I know this has probably been answered before but I am new and have not quite gotten the hang of the search part.

I have a 1985 corvette that has an oil leak I can't seem to find. I have replaced the distributor seal, oil pan seal, and valve cover seals.

I had an issue with an oil filter that was replaced because it would not seal. when I turned the car on I could see oil coming from around the seal of the filter. it was on tight. I replaced the filter and it does not seem to be leaking from the filter anymore. after driving the car foe about 15 min I park it in my driveway and I can see oil drip about 4 or 6 in in front of the oil filter. there is no oil on the filter so i know that is not the problem anymore. there is also spray back on the transmission pan. I have not replaced the rear main seal or oil pressure sending unit. that was my next step. I really don't want to pay $$$ to have the rear main seal fixed. the oil is only about the size of a half dollar. is there anything else that you can think of to fix the leak?

I have looked up the sending unit and have found two different units for the 1985. can someone please post a link for the correct one so i can try to replace that before i do the rear main seal. Are there any other seals that i should replace? is there anything else I should have done if I have to replace the rear main seal.

the car sat for 2 years prior to me getting it but it runs great except for the small oil leak.

thanks in advance,
Nate
I think you should have the leak diagnosed instead of throwing money at parts you don't need
Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 AM
redvette1985
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
I think you should have the leak diagnosed instead of throwing money at parts you don't need
I have taken it into the shop 3 times for the leak and those are the only 2 times that have not been replaced. I was told he looked at the rear main seal and it did not look bad. He can't seem to find the source of the leak.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Mose1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Rear intake manifold leak? Leaking at china wall, and running down back of motor is a possibility . Seems to be a common issue on these L98's..
Old 08-22-2015, 09:06 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Exactly what I was about to post. Also, does this car have an oil cooler? Could that be leaking? You should see two coolant lines running to the oil filter housing if so.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:15 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Exactly what I was about to post. Also, does this car have an oil cooler? Could that be leaking? You should see two coolant lines running to the oil filter housing if so.
That is what I was going to post.

On my '85 the oil cooler lines were leaking. They attach just above the oil filter. On mine the oil would run down the line and drip a few inches in front of the oil filter.

It is at least worth checking.

I agree with Cruisinfanatic to find the problem before throwing parts at it.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:52 PM
redvette1985
Heel & Toe

I don't have the oil cooler on my car. I will look at the manifold and rear main seal to see if I can find the leak.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:00 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

This pic shows the rear china wall with The Right Stuff on it. Dimple the china wall and the portion of the intake manifold that it mates to also.
Make sure the oil pressure sender that you can see in the pic is not leaking also.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:13 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If you use a mirror with an extension you can see behind the manifold on both sides if you get the wires out of the way..If that won't work remove the distributor so you can see behind the manifold....If it's wet behind the manifold then it's most likely leaking at the China wall......WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-24-2015 at 06:18 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:09 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Suggestion. Clean the engine real good. Add florescent dye to the oil. Drive the car. Then use a black light to inspect for leaks. The source of the leak will light up bright yellow from the dye. It's the same principle as looking for a refrigerant leak in the A/C system. In the long run it should be able to stop you from throwing more parts and labor at it with no appreciable results.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by 3JsVette
Suggestion. Clean the engine real good.
There you go. This is the KEY, to finding oil leaks. Clean first (b/c if it's been leaking a while, there is oil "everywhere"), then observe. Take to a self serve car was and use the 'power washer" want. Get it clean, under, over, sides...clean it. Dye helps, but not necessary.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:01 PM
redvette1985
Heel & Toe

I just had it looked at and the issue seems to be the rear of the intake. It's a $350 job to get the seals replaced. My question is if he has to take the top of the engine off is there anything else that could be done for performance or prevention issues. It's in the shop now and work will start tomorrow so I need opinions asap.
Thanks in advanve

Get notified of new replies

To oil issue

Quick Reply: oil issue