C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

newer C4

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:02 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Default newer C4

When we last left Joe . He had installed a new cam shaft, timing chain, and roller rockers on his 1984 Crossfire 4 plus 3. Which he planned on driving to TN. And, it performed awesome. Even went up to the Dome. Great drive down 95 Shenandoah valley. One the return trip he noticed that the voltage regulator said 11 volts. He pulled into a motel 8 to either fix the problem or stay the night and buy a new alternator and continue home. The repair failed so off to sleep at 11 PM. Only to be awakened at 2 AM. Hello this is the front desk your car is on fire.
Yep it is gone.

So I have just purchased a 1989 6 speed with Z51 suspension package. Not running . It was parked in a garage eight years ago. Any advice? Thank you all.
Oh and the drivers side blue seat is NFG. So any suggestions regarding what manufacturer to buy a new seat cover or seat cover and foam from. Thank you.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by jseremba
When we last left Joe . He had installed a new cam shaft, timing chain, and roller rockers on his 1984 Crossfire 4 plus 3. Which he planned on driving to TN. And, it performed awesome. Even went up to the Dome. Great drive down 95 Shenandoah valley. One the return trip he noticed that the voltage regulator said 11 volts. He pulled into a motel 8 to either fix the problem or stay the night and buy a new alternator and continue home. The repair failed so off to sleep at 11 PM. Only to be awakened at 2 AM. Hello this is the front desk your car is on fire.
Yep it is gone.

So I have just purchased a 1989 6 speed with Z51 suspension package. Not running . It was parked in a garage eight years ago. Any advice? Thank you all.
Oh and the drivers side blue seat is NFG. So any suggestions regarding what manufacturer to buy a new seat cover or seat cover and foam from. Thank you.
I am sorry to hear about your '84. I once had this same issue. I isolated it to a bad terminal block behind the battery. The block was deteriorating, which was causing the wires to loosen and arc. I am quite sure, now more so, that a fire was not far off. Whenever I read people complaining of unexplained voltage drops, I beg them to check this. Glad you were not hurt.

Good luck with the new car.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 PM
jseremba
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
I am sorry to hear about your '84. I once had this same issue. I isolated it to a bad terminal block behind the battery. The block was deteriorating, which was causing the wires to loosen and arc. I am quite sure, now more so, that a fire was not far off. Whenever I read people complaining of unexplained voltage drops, I beg them to check this. Glad you were not hurt.

Good luck with the new car.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you about the car. It ran so good. Stupid thing the Alternator shorts out, jesus. Well I got the 89 hopefully I will have good luck with it.
Any sugggestions with regards to the best place to buy seats. Oh and has anyone successfully dyed black seats to light blue.

Thanks again
Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Oh man. what a day. best of luck.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by jseremba
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Thank you about the car. It ran so good. Stupid thing the Alternator shorts out, jesus. Well I got the 89 hopefully I will have good luck with it.
Any sugggestions with regards to the best place to buy seats. Oh and has anyone successfully dyed black seats to light blue.

Thanks again
Well... For seat foam and new coverings, I've had good luck with Mid-America; once with a 69 and the other with my 90 Vette.

But, if you need to replace the entire seat, Vette2Vette (also a sponsor) has provided me with some very nice seats too.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

Vetteworks International. 15% off Ecklers, Mid-America, or Corvette Central sells at. I purchased new sport leather with foam attached.

Get notified of new replies

To newer C4

Quick Reply: newer C4