C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Heater blows max and cannot be stopped

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:13 AM
60-vette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heater blows max and cannot be stopped

I have a nearly new c4 92 modell . Bought it with 478miles only 2 years ago. So far 3500miles troublefree motoring. Goes like a brand new car and even still smells like it.
Yesterday the heater showed a severe malfunction. It started to work automatically on maximum heat and blower. ItS name isn't Christine and its a Vette 😐 so I'd like to get controll over the heater again. search did not bring an answer, so now I hope for help from a reader. Thanks in advance.
If a controll unit has to be replaced later, can I help myself temporarily by pulling a fuse or relay to finish the four day rally we are on momentarily.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:51 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by 60-vette
I have a nearly new c4 92 modell . Bought it with 478miles only 2 years ago. So far 3500miles troublefree motoring. Goes like a brand new car and even still smells like it.
Yesterday the heater showed a severe malfunction. It started to work automatically on maximum heat and blower. ItS name isn't Christine and its a Vette �� so I'd like to get controll over the heater again. search did not bring an answer, so now I hope for help from a reader. Thanks in advance.
If a controll unit has to be replaced later, can I help myself temporarily by pulling a fuse or relay to finish the four day rally we are on momentarily.
I'm going to guess this is a car with C68 (Electronic AC). There's a 5AMP inline fuse near the blower motor (should be an easy find). I don't know that it should disable the fan but maybe. If not unplug the larger connector at the blower control module. Both of these will be on the top of the evaporator case under-hood on the right.

On a '92 you could also likely remove the AC fuse as I don't believe it powers anything else non AC related. AC fuse is in end of dash right side.

There are many diagnostics that can be done using the AC Control in the dash but I believe you just need to finish the drive and do them when you get back home.

OR

Just unplug the blower motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-27-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Yesterday the heater showed a severe malfunction. It started to work automatically on maximum heat and blower. ItS name isn't Christine and its a Vette 😐 so I'd like to get control over the heater again. search did not bring an answer, so now I hope for help from a reader. Thanks in advance.
If a control unit has to be replaced later, can I help myself temporarily by pulling a fuse or relay to finish the four day rally we are on momentarily.
This sounds similar to the problem I had that is if your's has auto climate control. Take a look at this video. It wasn't hard to do and it did fixed my problem.

http://www.vettetube.com/climate-con...r-c4-corvette/
Old 08-27-2015, 04:08 PM
60-vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'm going to guess this is a car with C68 (Electronic AC).

Just unplug the blower motor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First thing this morning I pulled fuse 2 on the rh dashboard panel. That helped to keep our socks not blown off during the day.

Tonite I saw kenpeindls reply which is exactly what happened on my a/c controll switches. No responce at all. Will repare the contacts according to the youtube video as soon as I am home.

Fortunately the rally hamburg-berlin keeps on going with our participation. Today we covered 233km and ended up at AUTOSTADT the outlet of Volkswagen in Wolfsburg. A total of 180 classic cars competing. The start in the Olympic stadium of Berlin was at brite sunshine. At 1600hours the rain started and set the classic thirties cars under water.
Tomorrow will be another 250 km throuh the Harz Hills and back to Autostadt in Wolfsburg where an evening party thrown by VW will end the day.
Saturday another leg of 250km will bring us to Hamburg, where the night will end up partiing in the harbour part of town. There are international guests. Why not American friends next years. Its a blast. The car manufacturers sponsor this royally. BMW is part of it too.
Anyway thank you for your help in getting my mind free of any costly repair of the A/C unit.
Kenpeindle you made my day.I owe you one.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:58 PM
kenpeindl
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

My pleasure that's what we're all here for. I've gotten a lot of help from the great corvette owners on this site and I try to give back when ever I can.

Ken
Old 10-01-2015, 01:23 PM
60-vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by kenpeindl
My pleasure ....
Ken
Just a feed back: I watched the video again and started to take the dash board apart today. The two middle clips took me a while to get them loose but I managed it without breaking anything.
The a/c board was taken apart as shown in the video and cleaned accordingly. When everything was back in place I fired the engine on and checked the a/c settings. All is funtioning again like new.

All it takes is patience and a good "how to do video". And someone who knows wkere to find the video. Thanks again.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:34 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Just a feed back: I watched the video again and started to take the dash board apart today. The two middle clips took me a while to get them loose but I managed it without breaking anything.
The a/c board was taken apart as shown in the video and cleaned accordingly. When everything was back in place I fired the engine on and checked the a/c settings. All is funtioning again like new.

All it takes is patience and a good "how to do video". And someone who knows wkere to find the video. Thanks again.
Thanks for posting back. I hate when people never close the thread after they resolve a question.

Get notified of new replies

To Heater blows max and cannot be stopped

Quick Reply: Heater blows max and cannot be stopped