C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Top Tier Gasoline and Techtron Additive

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 04:23 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Top Tier Gasoline and Techtron Additive

Came across this interesting article in the C7 section of CF (I own a C7 in addition to C4) Paul Koerner a GM world-class certified technician stated...
"The best advice I can offer any Corvette owner is to always use a top-tier fuel,” Koerner said. “They keep the engine clean with better detergency, and they improve responsiveness – especially with acceleration.”
He suggested that owners visit the website www.toptiergas.com for more information on fuels.
For those Corvette owners who have not been regular users of top-tier fuel, Koerner suggested the use of Techron Fuel System Treatment PLUS every 3,000 miles.
“Use a 20-ounce bottle to a full tank,” Koerner said, “and please make sure it is the ‘PLUS.’ That is what’s recommended by GM in their general maintenance guidelines, and is good insurance against sulphur contamination. We want to keep carbon deposits as low as possible, even with fuel injection.”

Here's the link http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...cuss-ca-car%2F

Thought it would be of interest. If you don't agree, it really doesn't matter, just passing it along...

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 08-27-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:41 PM
Kleantouch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting- this is what I use

Name:  image-2279174902.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  560.4 KB
Old 08-27-2015, 06:12 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I started using Top Tier gas about a year ago. On my '94 F150 the gas gauge started acting up a couple of years ago - not reading over 1/2 full on the front tank, very slowly creeping up on the back tank. Put some Techron in the first tankful in the front tank last year and a few months later (after a few tankfuls) the front tank reading starting working properly again. I haven't driven it too much this year, but now I am going to start filling the back tank and see if it will start working again also.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:38 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

I have always used Top Tier gas

Chevron
Shell
Mobil
Exxon

and when I drive on the east coast I like Sunoco. If I come across ethanol free gas, I always go for it. In California we have the sorriest gas of all. 91 octane, and other additives.

Speaking of the C7, how do they keep the intake valves carbon-build up free? The new LT1 is DI thus no gasoline touches the valve's runners.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:31 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

Not uncommon manufacturer advise when not using top tier gasoline in GDI engines and yes Techron by name.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Chevron
Shell
Mobil
Exxon
and when I drive on the east coast I like Sunoco. If I come across ethanol free gas, I always go for it. In California we have the sorriest gas of all. 91 octane, and other additives.
Speaking of the C7, how do they keep the intake valves carbon-build up free? The new LT1 is DI thus no gasoline touches the valve's runners.
Good question - there's quite a bit of discussion about that. As a matter of fact on the C7 forum there is a monthly "Ask Tadge" (Corvette's Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter) and this was his answer: "...we did extensive testing to make sure there were no customer-observable penalties. We intently looked for unusual deposit formation during the entire Gen 5 Small Block development phase (4 years) as well as the 200,000 mile in-vehicle long term testing. We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation."
Some owners have installed oil "Catch Cans" to minimize the amount of oil that reaches the valves.
Here's the link to Tadge's comments for more info: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-valves.html

Last edited by Crossed Flags Fan; 08-27-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has and will be an issue on direct injected engines....no one has a good handle on how to work around the coking issue as of yet.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Top tier gas only
Old 09-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Does Chevron/Texaco put the techron in all their grades or just in the premium? Just wondering, since I use both grades of Chevron/Texaco. Premium in the Vette & regular in my other DD's.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:23 AM
Cajun CB
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a list of retailers who have committed to Top Tier

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers: USA

76 Stations
Aloha Petroleum
ARCO
Beacon
BP
Chevron
Conoco
Costco Wholesale
CountryMark
Diamond Shamrock
Entec Stations
Express Convenience Centers
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
QuikTrip
Road Ranger
Shamrock
Shell
Sinclair
Suncor Energy Inc
SuperAmerica
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Valero

Canada

Chevron Canada
CO-OP
Costco Wholesale
Esso
Petro-Canada
Shell Canada
Tempo

Puerto Rico

Puma Energy Caribe, LLC
Shell
Old 09-01-2015, 12:20 PM
woody41
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have been running 93 octane Marathon in my 91, runs really good on it. We have a station near me that sells it with no ethanol. I drive a Lincoln Mark VIII (4.6, 4 cam 32 valve V-8)daily it runs really good on Kroger (21 mpg) BUT the Corvette does not like the Kroger gas, our gas is RFG it is not good..I get it at the 5 Star food/gas/beer store. They also have a great fired baloney sandwich...
Old 09-01-2015, 12:59 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Didn't think Exxon/Mobil was top tier, that's why I quit using it. Didn't seem to perform as well as Chevron/Texaco in any of my cars mileage wise OR performance. I keep really close watch on miles vs gallons, just to make sure everything is running right.
I got the best mileage out of a couple of tanks of Phillips 66 on a cross country trip. Don't know if it was just a freak thing that day, the road/weather or what, but it was impressively more than anything else has ever done.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:29 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Klondike
Does Chevron/Texaco put the techron in all their grades or just in the premium? Just wondering, since I use both grades of Chevron/Texaco. Premium in the Vette & regular in my other DD's.
The Chevron advertisements around here say Techron is in all grades of Chevron gasoline.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX

Chevron
Shell
Mobil
Exxon

I stopped using Sunoco since it doesn't appear on the top tier list. Please let me know if I missed it.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:41 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Shell V Power is all I use in my Vette and I have been happy with the results.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:55 PM
96 lt-4
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

My lowly Impala SS LT1 with 170k on it runs 89 from anywhere.It does not like 87 octane.

When I had my 383 LT4 it ran fine on premium from anywhere.

My Big Block Dodge runs premium also.

The wife's 4cyl Altima sips 87 from anywhere happily.

Techron and seafoam are about the only additives I will run from over the counter.However if I use anything at all now it is BG44K and maybe once or twice a year.I just don't see the need more than that.

Get notified of new replies

To Top Tier Gasoline and Techtron Additive

Quick Reply: Top Tier Gasoline and Techtron Additive