A nice C4 is really starting to stand out

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 08:26 PM
ColaBear
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 119 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalis4

Originally Posted by DGXR
The C5 and C6 body styles changed even less over their production runs than did the C4. In comparison, it's pretty radical to consider how much the C2 and C3 styles changed over their runs. I'm hopeful for the C7... and it's not that I don't like the current style, I do like it. I just think that periodic updates are important to keep the latest model relevant to the times, and keeping a fresh look.

Hey! I love the '80s styles! That decade was so much fun, I can barely remember...
We’ll maybe for some things, but not for fashion…. Please
Old 09-01-2015, 11:30 PM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchkey
IDK: I get many more car compliments from both sexes when I drive the Mrs. 95 XJS vert (AKA drop head coupe) both here & in S FL.

My '95 Jag gets plenty of attention also when I take it out. My point of saying how much attention the '95 Corvette is getting parked next to the Jag in the garage is that the Corvette can hold its own even against a fairly rare and very nice European GT drop top.

This is something I have given some thought about- for example if the amount of Corvettes produced each year was limited to say the amount of a Jaguar sports car for any given year-imagine how desirable a Corvette would be and therefore how much attention a Corvette would garnish at any given time.

For example in 1995 there was a total of 5,802 XJS' produced. In comparison in 1995 there was a total of 20,742 Corvettes produced.

Now when you consider that in the 21 years that the XJS was produced the total amount made was aprox. 115,000 units compared to the 13 years of production of the C4 Corvette total made 358,180. So in almost half the amount of time three times as many Corvettes were made.

My point of this one comparison is to say if you seldom saw a Corvette like you seldom see a Jaguar the Corvette would garnish a heck of a lot more attention and praise. I for one did not expect the '95 Corvette to get the attention it gets parked next to a '95 XJS.

Here in the Boise, Idaho area you see C7 vettes every day and sometimes you see 2 or more a day. In the last two and a half years I have seen a total of 7 F-types out being driven in the Boise area.

It is my opinion that the C7 deserves as much attention and respect as the F-type But you see the C7 all the time so after seeing the C7 everyday you do not pay as much attention to it.

Twenty years ago I saw C4's all the time and so I just did not appreciate or pay attention to them. Now you seldom see a nice example out being driven. A few weeks ago I drove down to Santa Rosa from Boise and in all the time I was driving on the trip I saw two C4's compared to aprox. fifteen C5s, fifteen C6's and ten C7's.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:53 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Great clean lines on the C4...a future classic...and you don't see many on the road anymore...
Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Doughan
Great clean lines on the C4...a future classic...and you don't see many on the road anymore...

That's for sure around here, see more C3s than C4s.

Rick
Old 09-03-2015, 12:45 PM
bigtoys
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR

Hey! I love the '80s styles! That decade was so much fun, I can barely remember...

IMHO-- One reason the C4 is gaining popularity is its price point in the current market, and the fact that many people (like me) who were in high school and college when these cars first came out now have the time and money to devote to bringing them back and enjoying them. Earlier Corvettes are bringing astronomical prices, the C5 looks like a gynecological tool, and the C6 and C7 are still beyond the point that we can afford them as toys.

I also have a 1988 Camaro IROC and have noticed the same trend in that market. 3rd gen Camaros are just beginning to get the respect of enthusiasts and the general public. Both the C4 and the 3rd gen Camaro continue to suffer the stigma of douche-bag owners and drivers, but I believe this is beginning to diminish as other enthusiasts begin to appreciate the styling, performance and value that these cars offer.

Like I said, just my Humble Opinion!
Old 09-04-2015, 04:57 AM
revneck
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I am a C3 guy (79)

I saw a cherry red early C4 the other day and it looked awesome, sounded great to!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:21 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bigtoys

IMHO-- One reason the C4 is gaining popularity is its price point in the current market, and the fact that many people (like me) who were in high school and college when these cars first came out now have the time and money to devote to bringing them back and enjoying them. Earlier Corvettes are bringing astronomical prices, the C5 looks like a gynecological tool, and the C6 and C7 are still beyond the point that we can afford them as toys.

I also have a 1988 Camaro IROC and have noticed the same trend in that market. 3rd gen Camaros are just beginning to get the respect of enthusiasts and the general public. Both the C4 and the 3rd gen Camaro continue to suffer the stigma of douche-bag owners and drivers, but I believe this is beginning to diminish as other enthusiasts begin to appreciate the styling, performance and value that these cars offer.

Like I said, just my Humble Opinion!

Way cool !!!!!

I was actually looking for a red IROC Z for months before I was persuaded into a Corvette. I still check the want ads everyday to see if one pops up.

I made 4 road trips out of town with cash in hand only to find misrepresented rusty or wrecked junk. There's plenty of 5.0 IROCs out there but to find one with it's original 350 is not easy.

Rick
Old 09-06-2015, 07:50 AM
bigtoys
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
Way cool !!!!!

I was actually looking for a red IROC Z for months before I was persuaded into a Corvette. I still check the want ads everyday to see if one pops up.

I made 4 road trips out of town with cash in hand only to find misrepresented rusty or wrecked junk. There's plenty of 5.0 IROCs out there but to find one with it's original 350 is not easy.

Rick
Thanks! I've had the IROC for about 8 years, using it mostly for local shows and cruise-ins. We actually bought the Vette in April so my wife could join in with her own car! I had always liked the C4s, and when this came available, the price was too good to pass up! The car had a broken rear spring and a bad optispark and the PO had let it go back to the a finance company. A bit of elbow grease and a few busted knuckles later, the car is an absolute blast!

btw--I took the Vette out yesterday to Cars and Coffee and pulled up to a light next to a Honda Civic, complete with the Fast-N-Furious rear wing, ridiculous camber on the rear wheels and two twenty-something Asian guys in it. The passenger glanced over, lifted his sunglasses, nodded and just said "Nice!" This car definitely crosses all generations and cultures!

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about my wife driving around in it...This car get WAY too much attention!
Old 09-07-2015, 04:50 PM
95tealconvert
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts

Went all week and did not see one C4 out being driven. It has become a real treat to see one especially a late convertible.

Quick Reply: A nice C4 is really starting to stand out