C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Subwoofer placement

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 PM
SteakWay
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subwoofer placement

Hey guys, I got a '93 a few months ago. Wondering where the best place to store a subwoofer would be. I would guess it would be behind the passenger storage container. How would I go about this? I wasn't able to find any boxes online so I would assume I would have to make my own. And what is the biggest that could fit in there? 10"? Pics of yours would be nice! Thanks!

Last edited by SteakWay; 08-30-2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 PM
AgentEran
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SteakWay
Hey guys, I got a '93 a few months ago. Wondering where the best place to store a subwoofer would be. I would guess it would be behind the passenger storage container. How would I go about this? I wasn't able to find any boxes online so I would assume I would have to make my own. And what is the biggest that could fit in there? 10"? Pics of yours would be nice! Thanks!
You can put a sub anywhere in the storage area behind the seats.

Ive got 2 12s back there now.. but Im considering getting a single 13.5.

Its a pretty tight fit with 2 12s & amp & etc.. I took some pics just now.. sorry for the low light in the garage.. :-\

Name:  73orKdx.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  680.9 KB

Name:  UQmj4IZ.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  664.4 KB

Last edited by AgentEran; 08-30-2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:44 PM
SteakWay
Cruising

Originally Posted by AgentEran

How much space did you take up? And where did you place your amp(s)? Thanks
Old 08-31-2015, 12:36 AM
SteakWay
Cruising

Its a pretty tight fit with 2 12s & amp & etc.. I took some pics just now.. sorry for the low light in the garage.. :-\

Thank you so much for the pics.

This is probably why I would rather put a 10 in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat or probably just put a single 10 near the back. I'm not trying to blow myself out the car. And maybe put the amp in the storage or the back, still deciding.

Nice set-up! Thank you for the input, will certainly be helpful.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I didn't want to sacrifice space, so HERE is what I did.

Final product, using two amps, and one 12" sub in the storage bin, looked like this:

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 08-31-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:37 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by SteakWay
I'm not trying to blow myself out the car.
lol, yea I know its a bit excessive.. and I didn't even try to do anything nice like Tom400s setup. I had this box laying around and I figured I would throw it in there until I did do a nice setup/install.

If space and weight are a concern, I would recommend looking into JL Audio TW5. This speaker is 13.5 inches in diameter and is a shallow mount. The box it comes in is just over 1 cubic foot and is extremely light for the sound it produces. I bought one of these for my wifes car and was thoroughly impressed with it in all ways. The only con with this speaker is that it is pricey, but for what you get it is well worth it.

Here is a picture of what the speaker and box looks like:

Name:  axWcDjH.png
Views: 59
Size:  627.7 KB

Im thinking this will be perfect for the vette. I just have to convince myself that I want a new sub over the 25 other projects I really need to be doing, like my spark plugs/wires.. headers etc..
Old 08-31-2015, 11:39 AM
AgentEran
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

Final product, unsing two amps, and one 12" sub in the storage bin, looked like this:

Nice setup Dude!

That looks like JL A series? If so, how do you like it? Do you have a JL sub as well?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:24 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Thanks! I like the JL amps...they have WAY more power than I need.

Sub started off as a 12" Kenwood that I had. POS. It sounded O.K. (at first), but I ended up cracking the cone in 4 places!

I bought two Soundstream 12" shallow mounts to put in both bins, but they were too big, so sold them. Now I'm looking for two 10's for the bins. I didn't know JL had shallows so I will have a look. I've been very happy w/JL subs in the past (in other cars).
Old 08-31-2015, 12:34 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

One option would be to convert the coupe to the convertibles speaker setup.

The enclosures that come with the convertible are awesome for bass. I have to jl 6x9's mounted in there using an old school hifonics powered by the gods series amp. I had planned on putting a sub in the back but once I hooked up those 2 6x9's and could see the convertible top bulging with the beat of the music and hearing how hard it was hitting there wasn't any need.

My 86 coupe sucked sound wise using the two side enclosures but my 87's verts factory deck housings are great. Basically you lose the 2 storage bins if you go this route but it sure sounds great.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM
SteakWay
Cruising

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI

Final product, using two amps, and one 12" sub in the storage bin, looked like this:

That is very nice and exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks for the help, this is almost certainly what I'm going to do.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:00 PM
SteakWay
Cruising

lol, yea I know its a bit excessive.. and I didn't even try to do anything nice like Tom400s setup. I had this box laying around and I figured I would throw it in there until I did do a nice setup/install.

If space and weight are a concern, I would recommend looking into JL Audio TW5. This speaker is 13.5 inches in diameter and is a shallow mount. The box it comes in is just over 1 cubic foot and is extremely light for the sound it produces. I bought one of these for my wifes car and was thoroughly impressed with it in all ways. The only con with this speaker is that it is pricey, but for what you get it is well worth it.

Here is a picture of what the speaker and box looks like:

Im thinking this will be perfect for the vette. I just have to convince myself that I want a new sub over the 25 other projects I really need to be doing, like my spark plugs/wires.. headers etc..
Very nice looking woofer, but that would probably have to be an upgrade in the future. I unfortunately don't have the budget for that right now. Thanks
Old 09-01-2015, 12:24 PM
Mishawaka
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I put 8" subs in the rear stock locations. Used the stock plates for templates. I modified the front enclosures for components. No signs of aftermarket anything after put back together, except the small amp I have behind the drivers seat for the subs.

Last edited by Mishawaka; 09-01-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:45 PM
Roys92BlackRose
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mishawaka
I put 8" subs in the rear stock locations. Used the stock plates for templates. I modified the front enclosures for components. No signs of aftermarket anything after put back together, except the small amp I have behind the drivers seat for the subs.

Did the same setup on mine. A lot of research indicated that you only need 2 mids/tweeters in the front and subs in the back, especially considering the small interior of the vette. Sounds awesome and very stock looking, with a Focal 4ch amp behind the passenger seat with the rear channels bridged to the subs. Plenty of punch for my music, mostly easy listening and classic rock with some club/dance mixed in. I did it this way so no components are visible through the rear glass. My sub covers don't even have a brand name on them. I don't advertise my audio equipment.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:09 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

This design allows you to have a place for your tools and to carry the top if required. Its a modified wedge design. Plenty of power for me and you can still hide what you got with the rear pull shade . GC

Another view and after I added the Sub grill

The System that powers it AVIC Z series Pioneer

Last edited by Goldcylon; 09-02-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Subwoofer placement

Quick Reply: Subwoofer placement