Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

88 Vette passed CA smog finally!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 88 Vette passed CA smog finally!

Hi!
14 months! 5 fails! A lot of Vodka! Bought from dealer said as is means no smog! I know against law but love the car! Followed this forum on search and figured it all out! Cash was low for awhile after tranny rebuild and buying cars for my 2 sons. But the hard nights in garage and listening to advice payed off! Been building hot rods since 9 with dad! Just sold a 29 Chevy DD to get wife new car and bought Vette! But today is a ton off shoulders Vette passed good! 9 days before needing reg fix ticket signed off! I have learned so much of my GoKarvette! It's a DD 100 miles a day! After all I replaced adjusted and cuzed at! We are good ! Getting 30 mpg freeway! Just thought I'd share! Thankz to Cliff in the O.C. And I know itz not over yet!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Indio Monk
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockcrushervette
Hi!
14 months! 5 fails! A lot of Vodka! Bought from dealer said as is means no smog! I know against law but love the car! Followed this forum on search and figured it all out! Cash was low for awhile after tranny rebuild and buying cars for my 2 sons. But the hard nights in garage and listening to advice payed off! Been building hot rods since 9 with dad! Just sold a 29 Chevy DD to get wife new car and bought Vette! But today is a ton off shoulders Vette passed good! 9 days before needing reg fix ticket signed off! I have learned so much of my GoKarvette! It's a DD 100 miles a day! After all I replaced adjusted and cuzed at! We are good ! Getting 30 mpg freeway! Just thought I'd share! Thankz to Cliff in the O.C. And I know itz not over yet!
Great job! You have a thread to follow your journey of fixes? Just want to learn what to look forward to. I'm pretty new to vettedom. :-)
Old 09-02-2015, 09:57 AM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This forum needs a "like" button.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 AM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I hate smog because every guy is different and you never know if they are trying to help you or screw over your test because they have a bias against the model or vintage of your car.

Anyways, what was the fix for yours?
Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 PM
odxr
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I am going through this with an 87 that I rescued from a bad neighborhood.But I have been working on cars for 30 years and used to have a cali smog license so I know the game.The car has to perform as it did when new.On a 20-30 year old car its a tough job.Another way to look at it-if the car runs good you are not sending unburnt fuel that you paid for out the exhaust.There are still some counties in cali that are smog on xfer only-find a buddies cabin to register your car at.Good going for sticking with it and learning something-I would buy you a few beers to listen about what you had to fix.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Rockcrushervette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny it all turned into a round about! But everything I did made it run better! Did tune up found someone timed it wrong put a O2 sensor, having all original hoses I replaced all vacuum lines from tank up found EGR fitting on control bad when I pulled fuel pump out to put new gasket looked like someone had it out before and gasket was bad so put new fuel pump while I was there so then by putting new pump and fixing vacuum to fuel regulator it ruptured the diaphram raising fuel pressure and sucking fuel through vacuum line into vacuum port so while I had tune port off for new diaphram I put a new EGR then found the IAC was frozen got that and the TPS was up and down in volts everything I checked it got that then the big thing was the CTS was bad telling ECM water was 32 deg dumping more fuel into engine! Yeah new cat I couldn't see driving this car without made the biggest difference the old one wasn't plugged just burned out rattled! My GoKartvette ran good when I bought it I was awair it was going to need some work! But it runs and idles great and sounds better breathing through flowmasters! I w alway heard the term just keep throwing money at it till its fixed but in this case everything was bad!
Old 09-02-2015, 11:00 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockcrushervette
I w alway heard the term just keep throwing money at it till its fixed but in this case everything was bad!
with cars this old, and a fast dwindling parts pipeline, anytime you can replace something old with something new...do it! After all, if it hasn't broke by now, it's probably only a matter of time until it does. Sad but true.

Get notified of new replies

To 88 Vette passed CA smog finally!

Quick Reply: 88 Vette passed CA smog finally!