C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bucket List -- Driving "Historic Route 66"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:12 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Bucket List -- Driving "Historic Route 66"

Finally going to take the trip that was part of the inspiration for buying my Vette - going cross country and spending some time driving "Historic" Route 66 - another bucket list item. I realize that the Mother Road is not really there but will be cruising close by and looking for the places where I can detour to get some local flavor along the way. Good time to do this since I retired and gas prices are down.

Since this will be a long trip ~ 6000+ miles, I am saving the '88 C4 for another trip later in the fall that includes driving the Tail of the Dragon. On this trip, we will be going though Memphis and picking up along the old Route 66 in Oklahoma. Anyway, I wondered if anyone has suggestions of things to be sure to see or areas to avoid. I have looked at a lot of stuff on the Internet which leaves me confused since I can't avoid to waste time. So suggestions will really be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:32 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a route 66 guide book, it is a great help. You will pick up 66 in Tulsa or you can go a little north and get it in Joplin. Carthage MO has the Boots Motel which is being restored and has about 5 rooms ready.
Clinton OK about 100 miles past OKC has a route 66 museum which is a great stop.
Elk City Ok also has a neat museum
Eat a good steak at The Big Texan and see the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo.
Shamrock Texas is a must see with the old station.
Glen Rio is a cool old ghost town at the Texas and New Mexico border
Stop at Boz's car museum in Santa Rosa NM
Tucumcari has some great neon at night.
Albuquerque has several old hotels and a neat down town.

The thing about route 66 is the people. Stop and talk to store owners and listen to their stories.

I love old 66, I have driven most of it from Saint Louis to Albuquerque, and I want to do the rest some day.
Enjoy your trip and make sure to get off of Interstate 40 as much as possible.
Shawn
Old 09-01-2015, 10:59 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Thanks, Shaun, for a good beginning with great suggestions. This is the kind of info I need because the guide info on the web is kind of overwhelming. Figuring this will be our only chance, we want to make the best use of limited time. We plan to go on to LA so may be able to add some suggestions for the later part of the trip, but hopefully others will chime in with suggestions.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:22 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Check out my license plate. It is now on my 92 vert since I sold the 96

Old 09-01-2015, 11:34 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Cool! But needs explanation.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:37 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Be aware that the road is not continuous. There are sections missing and such things as bridges that were blocked off because they are unsafe. You will spend a lot of time on I-40 (where I am right now -- Gallup, NM).
Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 AM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Be careful at Deals Gap. Bikes outnumber cars 20:1 and they ride fast. They are not fond of cars and Harleys there.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
Be careful at Deals Gap. Bikes outnumber cars 20:1 and they ride fast. They are not fond of cars and Harleys there.
Agree:

Less bike traffic after Labor day, suggest a mid week visit.
While your in the area:
The Cherohala Skyway is a nice ride, Maybe a mile high + scenic stops.
A friend of mine got married @ one of the over looks.

Here is a ride map of the area:
http://kickstandlodge.com/maps/ride_map.html

The Corvette museum in Bowling Green KY is worth seeing.

Good luck.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

There is a portion of Route 66 that goes between Oatman, AZ and Kingman, AZ that is freaking spectacular
It is paved but quite rustic. It winds through the mountains and valleys with quite a few spectacular views. Be sure to stop at the Route 66 museum in Kingman.
I have only driven it with rental cars but wish I had done so with a Corvette. Here's a video I found:
We are going to move to Kingman when our home in Michigan sells. It is a great place to live and to avoid the dang snow and ice of the Great Lakes region.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
Mel56
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just returned from Tri Five Nationals in Bowling Green,KY but, made this trip in 2009 for the Corvette Caravan too. Both return trips we came home with a lot of stops on Route 66. If you get to Holbrook,AZ spend a night here:
Old 09-02-2015, 10:42 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Thanks to all for the comments. I knew that there were sections that were driveable and then some dead ends as well as the need to drive I-40 as well. Is there a particular reference or web site that elaborates on this? It seems like someone would have done this, but I haven't spotted that yet.

What would really be nice is something like the Mileposts magazine that I have used driving around Alaska - it explains what is all along the road including where bathrooms are, what is at the turnoffs, and how difficult it is to turn around at a stop.

Are the "bikes" mentioned at Deals Gap actually bicycles or motorcycles? Thanks again for all of the help! We are getting excited.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:07 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Motorcycles.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:49 PM
cuengineer
Pro

That is what I had assumed but then was confused by the statement that "they are not fond of cars and Harleys there."
Old 09-03-2015, 07:13 AM
94corvetteC4
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Motorcycles and they like to ride fast. I use to ride my FZR1000 and ZX7RR there but that was 22 years ago. I heard the police patrol that stretch of road more now than they use to.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 AM
five-oh
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm a Route 66 nut, and just finished a section of the trip you are planning to visit back in July in my '46 Chevy truck...Given the directions you're taking, I assume you are going to start in Springfield and head west...
First- http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROUTE-66-EZ-GUIDE-for-TRAVELERS-NEW-3rd-Edition-EZ66-map-book-RT-66-/231535728230?hash=item35e89ad666Trust me. Tons of good info.
I don't know if this is allowed, but here's a link to the facebook page on my truck with a few pics...[url]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rusty-the-46/232036280206711?ref=hl[/url

And a link to my thread on the Hamb...
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/index.php?threads/983893/
A few "Can't Miss"- Yeagly Chapel, an 1800's church on old Rt 66 between Springfield and Halltown, I think,Whitehall Mercantile- old guy that owns it is super talkative-, Gay Parita, missouri and the old texaco, Spencer, missouri "ghost town",Red Oak 2, Missouri, just off of 66 outside of Carthage, Galena, Kansas and the "real" Towmater from the movie Cars, The Marsh Arch Bridge, Waylon's Kuku burger in Miama, Ok, then the "sidewalk highway".....The Packard stop in Afton I think it was,the World's largest Totem pole in Foyil, The Blue Whale in Catoosa.....Lord. The list goes on and on. Take your time and explore. And Tulsa, btw, is a nightmare to follow the old highway through. You'll need the guidebook. I'll try to post some pics from my trip later...

And a website you will love...www.legendsofamerica.com › 66-main

Last edited by five-oh; 09-03-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 AM
cuengineer
Pro

Enjoyed the tale of Rusty on FB. Ordered the EZ 66 Guide to be here Saturday just before I leave! Looks like a lot of good info from all. So much to digest and getting more excited working on my list. In some ways, I was taking the Vette but comfort, reliability, gas mileage, etc. and especially ease of frequent ins and outs make the rental a good choice instead of a 27 yrs old car and also saving wear and tear on our new car.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:47 AM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm also checking one more Bucket List item by doing Route 66.

Only thing I would offer is this: If doing the trip now, as in this time of year, I would (and am) drive this from West to East. Actually anytime, because you'll have the sun overhead or behind you from noon onward and eliminating the afternoon glaring sun is most helpful for the drive.

Aside from that, I also appreciate the tips offered.

Get notified of new replies

To Bucket List -- Driving "Historic Route 66"

Old 09-03-2015, 03:47 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
Be aware that the road is not continuous. There are sections missing and such things as bridges that were blocked off because they are unsafe. You will spend a lot of time on I-40 (where I am right now -- Gallup, NM).
Cliff is correct. There are several stretches where you will spend miles on I-40 or a frontage road along side of it. My wife and I took our '86 Coupe from Chicago to Santa Monica on Route 66 back in 1998. As I remember Missouri, Oklahoma and Arizona did the best job of maintaining the route with signs and interesting places to see. When we got to California near the coast, it was hard to follow and the traffic got bad so we gave up and took the freeway. The whole trip took 4 weeks but that included a few days in San Diego.
It was a great trip to take in a Corvette!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:24 PM
cuengineer
Pro

Good points, I understand the sun issue but will actually be going East to West but then will do West to East on the way back to South Carolina. We are used to getting moving early so that should help some so that we can avoid facing the afternoon sun so much.
Old 09-04-2015, 09:02 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by 94corvetteC4
Hmmm.... I never got that impression. Lots of car clubs visit every day, all during the driving season (and the "Tree of Shame" at the gap has the parts to prove it!).

Deals Gap is primarily a souvenir shop: been there and got the "T" shirt(s) to prove it (several, in fact, and the little red DRAGON decals too)! But, the "Dragon" isn't exclusive to 'crotch rockets' by any means.

And, too, at the "Gap" you might find one of the MC club maps that shows over 100 routes of twisties - the "Gap" only being the more famous (notorious?) one of the "moonshiner's" roads, e.g., "The Devil's Triangle", "Six Gaps", and dozens and dozens of roads.

Bout the only thing I'd warn people about is trying to "do the Dragon" on weekends: jam-packed with Sunday drivers...and cops. Drive it on a week day, if you want to "play" a bit.

I never owned a radar detector, but that area is one where I can see the advantage. Don't drive stoooopid and you can have a lot of fun!!

PS: Oh! Did I mention checking your brake fluid before doing the twisties? A group of us were 'doing the Dragon' last spring before the NCM gathering and one of the guys lost his brakes (boilded them). The fluid was BLACK and full of flakes: NOT a good time to be thinking of checking your fluid!

As it happened, he got to a pull-out with the help of his emergency brake where one of the gang had a can of brake fluid in his "emergency kit", and we were able to flush his fluid 'on the spot' (as it were) to get him back on the road - good as new. (Note to self: Throw an can of brake fluid in my emergency kit!)

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-04-2015 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Bucket List -- Driving "Historic Route 66"