C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Compressor Rebuild 1985

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 12:53 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Compressor Rebuild 1985

The compressor front seal has been leaking since the car was new, but now it has gotten to the point that I have to add freon every year.

Is this a job that I can do myself or is it important to send it to an expert.

I am one who does everything himself, and have a good amount of tools, although no press.

Who is the Corvette expert with C4 (?) compressor rebuild.

Also, is it important to replace the receiver/dryer core when opening the system to fresh air?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

might want to try submitting in the tech section, however my 1987 FSM has instructions on how to rebuild the compressor. As for a press you may get away with renting one from your local parts store for free, or using a big vice with sockets I don't know I've never done a compressor before.

so you might be able to get a FSM for the 1985 year or if you think the 1987 year would be a good guide, I'd be happy to take some screenshots for you of those pages.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:18 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
might want to try submitting in the tech section, however my 1987 FSM has instructions on how to rebuild the compressor. As for a press you may get away with renting one from your local parts store for free, or using a big vice with sockets I don't know I've never done a compressor before.

so you might be able to get a FSM for the 1985 year or if you think the 1987 year would be a good guide, I'd be happy to take some screenshots for you of those pages.
Thank you for the offer. I have a 1985 FSM.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:20 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

You should be able to just replace the shaft seal by it-self, but with a pump that old, a complete o-ring set would be in good order.. there are numerous videos on this subject, as well as good A/C Sites, and Forums.. Keep in mind, if not already done, this would be a good time for a 134 conversion. New Orings are Compatible, and a new Oil recharge is in good order.

http://www.ackits.com/
Old 09-03-2015, 08:41 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by desertmike1
You should be able to just replace the shaft seal by it-self, but with a pump that old, a complete o-ring set would be in good order.. there are numerous videos on this subject, as well as good A/C Sites, and Forums.. Keep in mind, if not already done, this would be a good time for a 134 conversion. New Orings are Compatible, and a new Oil recharge is in good order.

http://www.ackits.com/

I just did this on an 86. Bought the tools and the Teflon seal, replaced it, and recharged the system, now once again blowing ice cold. It was really not all that difficult.

Get notified of new replies

To Compressor Rebuild 1985

Quick Reply: Compressor Rebuild 1985