Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 Corvette Project

Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 AM
Zoldier
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by junkyard_dog72
I remember reading that thread and seeing the rust all the way up to the cap from the gas tank and thinking we were lucky it wasn't that bad. I just reread the thread and its amazing to hear it run again; its one of the greatest feelings and the biggest relief hearing all of your hard work bring it to life again. And your interior looks just about perfect!
Thanks. I hope to have it on the road in a couple of months. I had my 13 year old daughter replace the alternator with me so I appreciate the bonding like you do with your dad. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:55 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 114 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2016 C4 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Zoldier
Thanks. I hope to have it on the road in a couple of months. I had my 13 year old daughter replace the alternator with me so I appreciate the bonding like you do with your dad. Keep up the good work.
Thanks! Its been a great project to do together and learn a little along the way
Old 02-28-2016, 09:03 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Friday was a productive day as we replaced and bled the new Reybestos master cylinder. Now theres no leaking and the car stops just as hard, even though the pedal is a little different than before. On another positive note the car ran and drove great on its first time on the road since December. There is a vibration, I think from the RF, at highway speeds so that will need to be taken care of sooner than later.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

I finally got to working on the wheels a little bit. I haven't taken the car to a shop to get balanced yet because the weather has been too good lately to give it up. To clean the wheels up, I began wet sanding with 800 grit, then 1000, then 1500 3M paper. After this, I used lacquer thinner to wipe the clear coat from the wheels, and proceeded to use the 1000 and 1500 paper to wet sand again. The results I think are decent; the wheels are much brighter than before and even though they aren't perfect, they do the new paint justice. Hopefully someone finds what I did useful on their cars!

On another note, I drove this Vette and my Dad's '72 Vette back to back days a couple weeks ago and the difference is amazing. I used to know the '72 pretty well but switching from the '85 was a bit of a shock. I love both cars, but if I had to choose it would still be the 1972. I still get a lot of compliments on the 1985, from the Chick Fil A Drive Thru to a car show I drove it to last weekend. Its a pretty awesome car all around:yes nod:

Anyway, the stuff that matters:Pictures!

Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Lookin good keep up the good work getting rid of my wheels as soon as I can (if the money ever is there) and going with straight black, these are a pain to clean up if they're so far gone like mine are, plus the black centers on mine are ruined, chipped, and bubbly, nice to see yours are still in good shape!

Also, since I was missing lugnuts and a lot of them didn't match I got these, I would reccomend they make the wheel look pretty nice (can't tell if yours all match it's hard to see) but be careful with them, they scratch easy!
Amazon.com: DPAccessories D3146P-2308/20 20 Painted Black Closed Bulge Acorn Wheel/Lug Nuts (12x1.5) 1.4" Tall, 3/4" Hex: Automotive Amazon.com: DPAccessories D3146P-2308/20 20 Painted Black Closed Bulge Acorn Wheel/Lug Nuts (12x1.5) 1.4" Tall, 3/4" Hex: Automotive
Attached Images   

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 04-28-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:03 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I just enjoyed read your entire thread! you and your dad are doing a wonderful job on the car. It's awesome that you and your dad can share the project. Again awesome work and thanks for sharing your build!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:33 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
Lookin good keep up the good work getting rid of my wheels as soon as I can (if the money ever is there) and going with straight black, these are a pain to clean up if they're so far gone like mine are, plus the black centers on mine are ruined, chipped, and bubbly, nice to see yours are still in good shape!

Also, since I was missing lugnuts and a lot of them didn't match I got these, I would reccomend they make the wheel look pretty nice (can't tell if yours all match it's hard to see) but be careful with them, they scratch easy! Amazon.com: DPAccessories D3146P-2308/20 20 Painted Black Closed Bulge Acorn Wheel/Lug Nuts (12x1.5) 1.4" Tall, 3/4" Hex: Automotive
Thank! Those look really good, 4/5 match and the 5th is just painted black since we don't have the last plastic cover. I figured for your build too while you don't have new wheels the thinner and wet sand method might work out well to make them pop a little more. Having a gallon of that thinner is useful for everything while working on the car. Thanks for checking in!
Old 04-30-2016, 10:37 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
I just enjoyed read your entire thread! you and your dad are doing a wonderful job on the car. It's awesome that you and your dad can share the project. Again awesome work and thanks for sharing your build!
Thanks for checking it out and posting! It's definitely come a long way, but there's still a few things on the list that I'll keep updated. Up next is air conditioning, radio, cluster repair, and hopefully fixing the power locks. The switches want to work, but on the passenger side it does not lock or unlock. It moves but the gearing is gunned up or something. Neither of the lock cylinders work either. So there's a few little things left
Old 05-01-2016, 02:22 AM
johnnymo63
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Great job to you and dear old dad.

If you haven't changed all of the rubber hoses under the hood, yet, I would put that on a "To Do" list. I assume that you changed the oil and coolant after you brought it home.

I restored 2 C4s, (84 2-tone & 86 Pace Car), so I know what you have been through. Enjoy the reward of your work and keep it going.
The interior is all that's left, correct?
Oh yeah, new emblems will make a night and day difference with that beautiful new paint. I like the solid color. I think the 2-tone makes them look dated.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:22 AM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by johnnymo63
Great job to you and dear old dad.

If you haven't changed all of the rubber hoses under the hood, yet, I would put that on a "To Do" list. I assume that you changed the oil and coolant after you brought it home.

I restored 2 C4s, (84 2-tone & 86 Pace Car), so I know what you have been through. Enjoy the reward of your work and keep it going.
The interior is all that's left, correct?
Oh yeah, new emblems will make a night and day difference with that beautiful new paint. I like the solid color. I think the 2-tone makes them look dated.
Thanks! The radiator hoses were replaced at the transmission shop when they replaced it, but I'll look into the others. Coolant and oil are good, but it's time for an oil change due to the miles put on it. Emblems are new from Wilcox but I haven't taken pictures yet, I'll have to get on it. A/C, radio, and cluster are next on the list and eventually I would like to replace the carpet in it. Since the seats are cloth I'm not exactly sure what to do, especially because I love the cloth. Thanks for the paint compliments! I originally wanted to go with the bright C7 silver in top with C7 cyber gray in bottom, but after some debating on color we speeded up with shark gray, which turned out really cool. It's amazing how many paints are tri coats now
Old 05-05-2016, 11:15 AM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Well things with the car were going a little too well for a little too long, it refused to crank over this morning. Battery is good so it's looking like the starter is the culprit. There always seems to be something with this car
Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Well things with the car were going a little too well for a little too long, it refused to crank over this morning. Battery is good so it's looking like the starter is the culprit. There always seems to be something with this car
Better in your driveway then somewhere important, to me you're still having good luck
Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Like Branden said, at least it was in your Driveway. a few years back I had a fuel pump die on me when I went to start my car up at 11pm when leaving a friends place. I was parked on the street and didn't want to leave it there overnight So had to have it towed home in the middle of the night. I know what you mean about these cars never really being done, I think I will always have something left on mine to do as well, but I'm having fun and learning lots.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:16 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

So with a few friendly whacks on the starter with a hammer, the car started. Which is great news. But bad news: I have to hit it every time I want it to start. So a new starter is definitely in order.

It's broken down in more places than the driveway, the worst of which was the McDonald's Drive Thru
Old 05-05-2016, 01:25 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

A drive-thru... ya that would kind of be a real pain...
Old 06-09-2016, 10:35 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Today the car had its second oil change since we bought it, so we went with Mobil 1 Synthetic and their premium filter. While we did that we decided today was the day to replace the A/C components, which was quite the task. It ended up being a 4 hour job, most of the time getting the compressor out. Hopefully someone can learn from the pics posted below. The second and third pics show the bolt that is in the compressor bracket and butts up against the engine block. The solution to this nightmare is to grind down the side like show, it was nearly impossible to remove with the valve cover on (and there was no way that was getting removed). The final picture is of the orifice tube. We had trouble locating it, so I hope someone reading this can learn from the pictures. Next up: vacuum the system, oil the system and then charge the system with some R12.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:49 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

So another issue has arisen with the car that might require some input from the members. After the new compressor was installed, I went to drive the car and under light throttle, it just tries to stall and bucks. Under heavy throttle, it ran fine and without any pedal input and under idle it ran fine. But obviously its a driving issue, especially around town. Tonight spark plugs and wires were replaced, but nothing changed. Any ideas?

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Project

Old 06-21-2016, 05:53 PM
KYC4
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 39 Posts

So another issue has arisen with the car that might require some input from the members. After the new compressor was installed, I went to drive the car and under light throttle, it just tries to stall and bucks. Under heavy throttle, it ran fine and without any pedal input and under idle it ran fine. But obviously its a driving issue, especially around town. Tonight spark plugs and wires were replaced, but nothing changed. Any ideas?
I wonder if the compressor is a bit tight...odd though. I assume everything (brackets, pulleys) is lined up as it should be?

Baffled,

Lee
Old 06-22-2016, 01:03 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KYC4
I wonder if the compressor is a bit tight...odd though. I assume everything (brackets, pulleys) is lined up as it should be?

Baffled,

Lee
Well it turns out this issue was self inflicted, as a vacuum hose or two near the plenum were undone, so after reconnecting those it appears and feels to be running a lot smoother. Either way, it has new plugs and wires as well as a full tank of gas with fuel injector cleaner in it.

The newest issue is A/C related. After going to try to charge again after picking up compressor oil, my uncle tried to charge the system but a leak could be heard. While all of the o rings were in good shape, the condenser had a hole in it that will require replacement before another charge. One step at a time, but the car will get there
Old 06-22-2016, 10:54 PM
junkyard_dog72
Burning Brakes

Well it turns out this issue was self inflicted, as a vacuum hose or two near the plenum were undone, so after reconnecting those it appears and feels to be running a lot smoother. Either way, it has new plugs and wires as well as a full tank of gas with fuel injector cleaner in it.

The newest issue is A/C related. After going to try to charge again after picking up compressor oil, my uncle tried to charge the system but a leak could be heard. While all of the o rings were in good shape, the condenser had a hole in it that will require replacement before another charge. One step at a time, but the car will get there
Well I spoke much much too soon, today I went to drive it and as soon as I touched the gas pedal it completely stalled out. I restarted it a couple times and same results followed. Maybe a vacuum hose fell off, who knows. If it isn't that the car is likely going to a shop because we are both at a loss.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Project