Old 08-25-2016, 02:21 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Get in touch with Jason at www.vette2vette.com and he can get used parts for you. I'll bet he has a ton of windshield wipers.
Here are a couple of pics I took at his warehouse in Illinois:

Old 02-10-2017, 10:09 AM
Karp
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Aloha everyone,
This months adventures have led me to buy an 84 parts car, almost complete, yet I bought it for the engine. (as you can see)if you need 84 parts I know a guy, lol. The car has a Bad Momma Jamma four barrel carburetor, Edelbroke heads, Edelbroke intake, headers, roller rockers, tall valve covers, MSD distributor, coil and MSD ignition module. (need to still find where the power chip on an 84 would be)
I will be yanking that beautiful motor, making sure the bearings are good, changing out the intake and carb to the Vette intake/fuel injection, then putting the motor in my convertible. I still need to figure out some major pieces, like could I keep the MSD distributor/ignition/how to hook it up to the HEI wires? ensure the intake will fit, wrap the headers, possible put heat shields on the vettes fiberglass firewall. not sure what other small upgrades I should consider. This will be a fun summer.
Attached Images    
Old 02-10-2017, 04:31 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I've read of others doing the engine swap between years before. Biggest thing I've noted is taking the distributor, intake and all the sensors off the target cars engine and transfer them to the candidate engine prior to planting it into your car. There are far more knowledgeable people here than me on the subject, but as long as the CR and cam are fairly close, I suspect it should run with little to no tweaking of the replacement engine once in.

Biggest thing I can think of is are the mating surfaces on the replacement heads the same as the original engine? Need to insure the intake will mount successfully or you have more work before done.

Last edited by hcbph; 02-10-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Karp
Instructor

Aloha all,
I haven't updated this in a while, yet the old engine is out new engine is in, used transmission mounted. The output shaft is longer than my oringinal 700r4, must I chop the excess?
i stull have all the wireing and headers to do but here is a few pics. Thanks to all. L83
Wrapped headers
Old l98, coming out
Old 06-22-2017, 02:49 PM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Karp,

Did you up installing a 350 or stroker? What's the CID? Either way, I guess you are getting some added HP. Did you get your drive shaft length issue sorted out? I would leave at least an inch of run in that yoke. Sometimes you can change out the yoke for a longer one if that is the issue. Of course, if it's the other way, "you must cut!".

WEK.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:06 PM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Just remember 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2!!
Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Karp
Instructor

Okay I see I had to cut the outputshaft to get the driveshaft to slide in correctly.
I cut it and left about .70" sticking out as I seen in a few forums, yet the driveshaft did not clear. I measured my original and it was barely sticking out of the rear seal. So I took the tail housing off again and cut another 1/4" off. Now the driveshaft is up. Now to get that C beam to line up. Finish installing the front side then figure out how to hook up this MSD distributor/ingition module/coil.
thanks to all for any and all help.
ill update again on my next break. Cheers
Old 06-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Karp
Instructor

Originally Posted by skullandbones
Hey Karp,

Did you up installing a 350 or stroker? What's the CID? Either way, I guess you are getting some added HP. Did you get your drive shaft length issue sorted out? I would leave at least an inch of run in that yoke. Sometimes you can change out the yoke for a longer one if that is the issue. Of course, if it's the other way, "you must cut!".

WEK.
Aloha WEK,
You were right I had to cut the output shaft. On the motor its a L83 350, looks like just upgraded with Edlbrock Heads, looked in the PVC hole and saw roller rockers, the push rods have teater totter guides (I dont know what they are called), MSD ingnition, and header pipes.
I wrapped the header pipes, Im deleting the air pump due to headers have no output, putting the L98 fuel injection on it.
I was debaiting to put the old distributor in it before I upgrade to the MSD one, yet already put the engine at TDC, and its a pain to get it back there it seems. I also worry if the fuel injection with 21lb i jectirs will deliver enough fuel.
I dont have alot of info on the inside of this engine, yet time is of the essence to get this thing out of the spot as I lose the spot on Monday.
I still will be uodating the piece if Vette here abd there. Thanks.
Smile-Z-Have Fun,
-Karp
Old 06-23-2017, 06:12 PM
Karp
Instructor

Good Friday morning to all,

. Today has to be the day, everything is going well. Its actually sad that i must cover up the "Made in America" plate on the headers. Aftet that finish the ignition prime the fuel lines and pray. Redman Hedders
Wrapped in red to lower heat.

Quick Reply: 90 C4 Convertible, Honolulu