C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1984 Corvette questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 10:22 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts
Default 1984 Corvette questions!

Hi i've been lurking on the forums for a while now (looked at every pic of the c4 pic thread) and i've found a corvette i'd like to buy but have a few questions, I live in the state of Connecticut and the car is straight piped and was last registered in New Jersey. The current owner never registerd it in the state of connecticut, my question is since it's over 25 years old but it's straight piped will it not have to go through emissions? The DMV website says any car older then 25 years in my state won't have to go through emissions, the car also has cat's deleted. Any reply's would help and this is my first post here!
Old 10-01-2015, 11:27 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
Hi i've been lurking on the forums for a while now (looked at every pic of the c4 pic thread) and i've found a corvette i'd like to buy but have a few questions, I live in the state of Connecticut and the car is straight piped and was last registered in New Jersey. The current owner never registerd it in the state of connecticut, my question is since it's over 25 years old but it's straight piped will it not have to go through emissions? The DMV website says any car older then 25 years in my state won't have to go through emissions, the car also has cat's deleted. Any reply's would help and this is my first post here!
Are safety inspections in CT done by private licensed service shops or is it STATE controlled in their own stations? I guess you need to know if there are any visual inspections required also.

You might post this in the NORTHEAST section mentioning of course your CT location.

Visit an inspection station and just ask. Our opinions and statements don't actually matter - it's what they'll require of you when you present it that's important. Perhaps the local DMV OR I would think there's "on-line" requirements for CT.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:26 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

The current owner never registering the car would be a huge red flag to me. It's also possible you would run into local noise ordinances. Only a CT lawyer can reliably answer your questions, but I would run away.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:43 PM
bls72bmw
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about calling a local specialty shop? Corvettes of Westchester in Sleepy Hollow I'm sure works on some CT Cars, see what they say.
As a 1984 C4 owner they're great- it's people who usually don't have one looking to bash it. For a first entry vette I say figure out the emissions gig and go from there- should be a ton of fun.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:26 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

The guy seems like a decent guy, the corvette was a project for his wife (he has a track older gen camaro that he races, lot of money into it most work done by himself) and his wife sadly passed away, so he no longer wants the vette, that being the reason it wasnt registered. Also in the state of connecticut any shop with a license can do safety inspections I believe. Does that after explaining take away some of your guys concerns? it's had alot of money into it already, good tires on it straight pipe stainless steel exhaust (sounds amazing and engine sounds healthy) and it's been turned to a carburetor because the dual injection failed, the vette's got 120k on it and he's getting rid of it for cheaper then any corvette in the state by almost 4,000 bucks. It does need alot of work. The interior carpet is shot, the dash and seats are good. It needs a antenna, motor for driver side door window and motor rebuilt or just a new one for the left front headlight, speakers still work and everything apparently, the car has been painted by him (decent paintjob at best) and i'm sure it's hiding some chips and cracks, but for the price it's hard to turn down, the car needs weatherstripping aswell obviously because it's an upstate car all it's life, the guy says the transmission is pretty good in it aswell (he said he's worked on transmissions for 35 years) Just trying to tell you guys what i've learned about the car so far! the guy wants under 2,000 for it. If that helps. The cheapest corvette around here is 5,000 dollars on craigslist and needs a paintjob and all the tail lights and trim are taken off the car. Thanks for all the help guys appreciate it, the advice is really helping me because i'm much younger, also sorry for all the typo's and grammatical errors, not my strong point!
Old 10-01-2015, 03:21 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

he's getting rid of it for cheaper then any corvette in the state by almost 4,000 bucks. It does need alot of work.
This is perhaps the most important thing you said, in my opinion. The general suggestion is to look at and drive many examples before deciding on the one you want. Then you can start negotiating details on that car. Many people have done the "I want a Corvette, I can afford this one and it runs, so I'll buy it." Often a mistake, can't say if this is your case. It sounds like this may be the first Corvette you have looked at closely. I can't tell by your posts. You mentioned another one for $5000 on craigslist, but did you look at it? Consider the higher price and the improved condition, compare it to the car you're talking about here, and consider how much work you are willing to do, or can afford to do.

If this is the only car that suits your budget, and you are eventually looking to fix the various issues, I suggest you take a little time and save up some more money, and get a later model in better condition. I have nothing against the 1984 model - I love all Corvettes and each year has it's strong and weak points. But it would suck to buy the very first car you can afford, not looking at any others, then have a bad experience because of your relative lack of experience plus all the various issues with this car.

Many of these older Corvettes have been well maintained and kept in stock or mostly stock condition, and will have few/no issues with emissions laws or noise ordinances and are very good driver's cars. Of course you're going to pay more than $2000, which is why I suggest you save up your money. And considering all the modifications to this one, and the lack of registration, I would steer clear. This car seems better suited for someone looking to create a dedicated track car, or someone ready to tackle the issues with this one. There's a reason he wants under $2000.

According to your DMV info, you won't have to worry about the emissions stuff on a 1984, just be sure that no test is required on transfer of title. Registering non-op is OK, but if it wasn't registered at all, look into payment of back registration owed and mention it to the seller.

Of course it's your call, it depends on how you plan to use the car. Just be aware of what you are getting into.

Good luck. Hope this helps you.

Last edited by DGXR; 10-01-2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:58 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

I appreciate all the advice, i've been back and forth with this car and definately want it, i've looked at several corvettes and this is by far the roughest, but mechanically this car seems all there and runs very well from what I can tell, the thing is I could never justify putting 6k+ down on a corvette in just a little better shape (not that they're not worth it and yes i know this car will have alot of money invested!) But I like a car with character, my truck I baby the hell out of and everytime a rock hits the paint I cringe, I don't want the corvette to be the same. Want to be able to go out beat on it and not care if the paint gets chipped up, so for what I want the car for I think this is the clear winner, for around my area anyway. This car will most likely be something I hold onto for as long as I can. I like my cars to have character, and not have a stock look (nothing wrong with that!) I like seeing a car and being like "wow, noone else would do that to that car but a owner that only cares about what he or she thinks". Keep the advice coming much appreciated, sorry I didn't take any pictures of it to post.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:44 PM
bls72bmw
Instructor

He wants UNDER 2k?
Where is he, what's his phone number? You could part it out for more than 2k$ in parts..
Old 10-01-2015, 05:35 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Haha if anyones gettin it's me! And that's the way I see it, the stainless steel exhaust and the tires that are on it are worth a grand on their own...not to mention the car RUNS AND DRIVES for that price.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:36 PM
bls72bmw
Instructor

Post up the link here- lot of guys will take a look for you and give you an honest opinion.....I'm on vacation this week so can't possibly sneak over there!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:40 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Not for sale on craigslist, actually saw this car for sale on the side of the road the ONE day i decide to take a different road home from work, and he said that was the first day he put it out in a month, almost sounds like it's meant to be?

Edit: If it was on craigslist I bet it would of been sold the first day!

Last edited by BrandensBeast; 10-01-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:40 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 206 Posts

Not for sale on craigslist, actually saw this car for sale on the side of the road the ONE day i decide to take a different road home from work, and he said that was the first day he put it out in a month, almost sounds like it's meant to be?

Edit: If it was on craigslist I bet it would of been sold the first day!
There is nothing as expensive as a cheap Corvette.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:51 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Good lord son. Run away from this POS as quick as you can!
As was suggested above. Save your money, get a 2nd job etc. and wait for a better car.
“It costs a lot of money to look this cheap” Dolly Parton
Old 10-02-2015, 10:42 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

If you buy it (again, I am not a lawyer, but I this is how I think things work in CO, you should check on CT) it will have to be registered to the current owner first, which would include paying sales tax for that sale. Then transferred from him to you, more sales tax. Make him register it befoe you give him the money. If he says it's no big deal, then he shouldn't have a problem doing it ahead of selling it.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Danlb
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
But the fun factor is hard to ignore. I have a supercharged C5 and one day found an '84 that wouldn't move. Gave the guy $2000 for it and spent $3 on clutch fluid and drove it home, knowing master and slave were going to fail. Two months later they gave up. $150 for clutch repair, new shocks, tires and alignment and I have a fantastic daily driver that I'd rather drive than my C5. Not the prettiest car yet but time will bring it back with new weather strip and eventually paint. In the meantime having a ball running with all the beautiful Corvettes!
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2015, 11:49 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Some people say get it some say don't! You guys arent making it easy haha! And this corvette would most likely never ever be entered in any car shows! just something I can drive the hell out of on a nice day and have fun. What about sales tax from the original owner? I don't understand nor does the current owner know how many people this corvette has gone through.

Edit: Beautiful Vette Danlb! How many miles? looks extremely clean!
Old 10-02-2015, 12:13 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob

If you're $trapped to get it, your enthusiasm may fade quickly, so bear the above in uppermost mind. Sure, the feedback varies as do the cars involved.

I'd have concerns that despite his niceness and track car, that this carbureted one was too sophisticated for him and there may be other 'easter eggs' (not nice ones) awaiting. Hardly anyone gives a car away well below value, so trust your gut and weigh the comments ... AND... take yo9ur time as has been suggested.

Get notified of new replies

To 1984 Corvette questions!

Old 10-02-2015, 12:20 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

The reason he wants to get away from it is because it was meant for his wife that passed, and now he just wants to get rid of it. And i'm sure there are plenty of little broken suprises awaiting in the car! Which i'm fully expecting if I purchase it.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:12 PM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Converting and 84 to carb would have me worried. That is going backwards IMO. The transmission has to be adjusted correctly to run on carb, are you sure that was done . Have you driven the car, does it shift right? High mlieage C4s have other issues. Was the dash ever rebuilt, stearing rack, bushings, hub bearings, heater core, headlight motors, cooling system all these things need to be addressed because they can cost you a small fortune if you cant do the work yourself.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:22 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

All the work would be done by me and my uncle, he as all the tools and knowledge to properly work on the car. Currently just got a quote to insure the car and I don't want to spend what they quoted me, will look into other options.

Quick Reply: 1984 Corvette questions!