C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Buying a C4 1990 Corvette for the first time need some buyers opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 06:03 PM
OneAmongOthers
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a C4 1990 Corvette for the first time need some buyers opinions

Hello! I am in the process of buying my first C4 1990 Corvette and I had a few questions I want to know. First is there any rust issues I should be looking for (underbody, floor pans or frame)? Second the car in question has trouble with its brakes. I was told it was the brake booster is bad so is this an easy fix? Third. He also told me the instrument cluster is not hooked into the ECM currently should I be concerned about this?

The body itself is pretty decent. No cracks in the fiberglass aside from one in the targa top. The motor runs very well started with no issue and doesn't smoke. Interior is decent. No major rips in the seats, console is intact and the radio and all instrument components are there. It's an automatic so I guess that's the 700R4 trans right? Motor is the L98.

I am going to be trading my 1989 GTA Trans Am for this Vette and I want to know if it seems like a decent trade.

Any opinions or though would be appreciated. Heres the Craigslist listing for it.

https://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/5240857546.html
Old 10-02-2015, 06:42 PM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to the vette community.

For not much more $$, you may want to look for a later model C4, 1995-1996 LT1/4. I would be concerned about the brakes and non-functioning instrument cluster. Those are just the items the seller has disclosed. You did not provide the miles but from the pics provided, this vette does not appear to have been well maintained. If you are still interested, find a local reputable shop and have a full inspection completed first. Better to know what you are getting into from the pros rather than the seller. Be Safe, Go Fast !!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:49 PM
OneAmongOthers
8th Gear

The seller told me 80k miles. Also another thing to note is the inspection ran out on 2012. And its going to be a straight up trade for my Trans Am. One project car for another pretty much.

Last edited by OneAmongOthers; 10-02-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:02 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

Originally Posted by steve1657

Welcome to the vette community.

For not much more $$, you may want to look for a later model C4, 1995-1996 LT1/4. I would be concerned about the brakes and non-functioning instrument cluster. Those are just the items the seller has disclosed. You did not provide the miles but from the pics provided, this vette does not appear to have been well maintained. If you are still interested, find a local reputable shop and have a full inspection completed first. Better to know what you are getting into from the pros rather than the seller. Be Safe, Go Fast !!

Project car means, get your wallet out.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:12 PM
OneAmongOthers
8th Gear

I want the L98 motor as I am very well knowledge with it and the trans as well. I will agree the issues provided have left me with some concerns. I don't want the newer Vette since I don't like how they changed the body style (tail lights and front end). I have the tools and facilities to work on the car. Mechanical issues don't scare me, but rust does. Do I need to worry about rust?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:32 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by OneAmongOthers
I want the L98 motor as I am very well knowledge with it and the trans as well. I will agree the issues provided have left me with some concerns. I don't want the newer Vette since I don't like how they changed the body style (tail lights and front end). I have the tools and facilities to work on the car. Mechanical issues don't scare me, but rust does. Do I need to worry about rust?
Not much except around the windshield frame. Look for any evidence of leaks or nastiness here. If the interior smells musty or wet, run.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Pa'svette

Project car means, get your wallet out.
project = $$$. these cars can be money pits, especially if you don't do your own wrenching. $3000 isn't a lot of money, but you could easily drop 2X that amount in the car. be careful here....

is it me, or did they paint over the back-up lights - ???

Last edited by Joe C; 10-02-2015 at 07:39 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:35 PM
Pa'svette
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18,'19

About the only thing that will rust is the frame. If you can, get it up in the air and check it, especially where the body goes down over the frame in the door area.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:36 PM
OneAmongOthers
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Not much except around the windshield frame. Look for any evidence of leaks or nastiness here. If the interior smells musty or wet, run.
Interior was dry. A bit dirty but no musty smell or moldiness. What about the under body? Floor pans and such. Any concerns of rust issues there?
Old 10-02-2015, 07:39 PM
OneAmongOthers
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Joe C
project = $$$. these cars can be money pits, especially if you don't do your own wrenching. be careful here....
I plan on doing all the work myself... well everything except major internal engine work. Everything else I am pretty capable of.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:41 PM
trilkb
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Personally I would keep the gta until a nicer one comes along. The gta is possibly worth more
Old 10-02-2015, 07:59 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

IMO the GTA is worth nothing from what I see them sell for.

common '90 issues are:
tach filter, dash lights, airbag sensor on right side of frame, stock injectors ,cd player, etc

if you are handy at all it should be fine. If you want a better the it's the vette. If you want a better vette buy one modified.

Buy this one. This is a SUPER DEAL at $5k this would cost 15-20k to build

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-more.html

Last edited by pologreen1; 10-02-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:27 PM
OneAmongOthers
8th Gear

Originally Posted by pologreen1
IMO the GTA is worth nothing from what I see them sell for.

common '90 issues are:
tach filter, dash lights, airbag sensor on right side of frame, stock injectors ,cd player, etc

if you are handy at all it should be fine. If you want a better the it's the vette. If you want a better vette buy one modified.

Buy this one. This is a SUPER DEAL at $5k this would cost 15-20k to build

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-and-more.html
Trading my GTA fo this car. My GTA has 215k on the odometer and the guy is will to make a trade for the vette over it. I thank all of you for the advise and will be making sure to give the car a through check when I make another trip out there to see it again.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

It is a money pit in its present condition. Not worth your time, money, and aggrevation.
Look at the rear reverse lights - obvious overspray... already a poor repaint.
(OEM blue colors that year include Steel Blue, Turqoise, and Bright Aqua Metallic - and are lighter shades than what is showing)

Last edited by Bandit's C4; 10-02-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:59 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OneAmongOthers
Trading my GTA fo this car. My GTA has 215k on the odometer and the guy is will to make a trade for the vette over it. I thank all of you for the advise and will be making sure to give the car a through check when I make another trip out there to see it again.
Enjoy the journey. Sad to see what you are passing up at 5k. 5k in repairs on tis one no problem

How many miles on vette?

wheel bearings, hubs, u joints, shocks, etc should be planed on repair if used on these. Also check the rear end 3.07 is performance rear in auto. You'll hate the 2.59, 2.73
Old 10-03-2015, 12:10 AM
OneAmongOthers
8th Gear

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Enjoy the journey. Sad to see what you are passing up at 5k. 5k in repairs on tis one no problem

How many miles on vette?

wheel bearings, hubs, u joints, shocks, etc should be planed on repair if used on these. Also check the rear end 3.07 is performance rear in auto. You'll hate the 2.59, 2.73
80k miles on the Vette. And I don't have 5k to drop on a car (I work on these on a budget). The GTA I picked up for 1600 and this fella is willing to trade me the Vette for the car straight up. The main reason he's giving up the car is because his daily driver for work died on him and he needs something to get back and forth with (The GTA actually is my daily driver/project). I have had 3 of these cars and just want to have a a Corvette for once. I know the car is probably a money pit, but hey... its a hobby and with any hobby there's always a cost. My main concern is the engine and trans running well. We had it out and it ran very good. This is pretty good for a car that sat for awhile. Started right up off a jump (dead battery) and ran smooth with no noises. The biggest issue I see is the brakes.

Here's my GTA. I have tried many times to try and sell the car and pick up a Corvette, but most see the miles (218000 btw) and run thinking the car is a lost cause. Hardly anyone wants a project anymore. They just want finished cars that are just jump in and drive. So given the circumstances I'll give this one a try.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:07 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

yep, then take the vette and just be patient and handy and you'll like it. If or when the suspension etc is sorted it will feel 2-3x the gta car.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a C4 1990 Corvette for the first time need some buyers opinions

Old 10-03-2015, 01:22 AM
CRUZN C4
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

How about saving a few extra bucks and buy a Corvette that's in better shape.
Old 10-03-2015, 02:58 AM
silentpoet75
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like a fair enough deal, but be aware there will be a lot of work up ahead. I do like buying a car to learn to work on. My truck is that way, and the 1968 caddy project has taught me a lot even though it is still not on the road yet. I have considered getting more of a project vette, there are a couple near by. However the caddy takes up the garage, so I need something I can drive and get in the carport.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:16 AM
whichvette
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those t/a wheels might be worth keeping

Quick Reply: Buying a C4 1990 Corvette for the first time need some buyers opinions