C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Blowing fuse #9 on 1992 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:23 PM
63belair
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing fuse #9 on 1992 corvette

Today i was trying to troubleshoot multiple stored codes and found fuse #9 in the fusebox blown. the fusebox I'm referring to is on the right side of the dash. I replaced the fuse and reset all the codes. I then restarted the car and turned on the AC and also noticed the primary fan working which was not working prior. The ARS light and check engine light stayed off running in the garage for 20min and i was excited I then drove the car and unfortunatly the ARS light came on then the check engine light then the ABS light. I checked the fuse again and it was blown.
the description for this fuse is Transmission Clutch Control Brake Switch (auto) {i don't know what this is}Daytime running light module, {i don't think i have these},A/C solenoid (C69), cooling fan relay {makes sense that now my fan would work},4/6 gear relay,ignition module (LT5),secondary solenoid (LT5),Camshaft sensor,(LT5),exhausts recirculation control (LT1), Air switch Solenoid (LT1),Air control valve (LT1), Alternator (LT1)
i have no idea where to start being as I don't know what most of these items are, to see why this fuse is blowing? Please help. Can I unplug certain items and replace fuse and see what happens?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:03 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

What does this fuse say under it and what AMP is it? In the FSM the fuses aren't #'d and I don't have a '92 so I can't look at the fuse box. I do have a '92 FSM though.
The following users liked this post:
63belair (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 07:31 AM
63belair
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
What does this fuse say under it and what AMP is it? In the FSM the fuses aren't #'d and I don't have a '92 so I can't look at the fuse box. I do have a '92 FSM though.

The fuse is a 10 Amp and under it it says Gauges. all my gauges are working.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:39 AM
63belair
Intermediate

pics of owners manual
Old 10-04-2015, 07:40 AM
63belair
Intermediate

Old 10-04-2015, 07:47 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

The TPS buffer is powered by the gauges fuse. That world explain why you've ASR/ABS issues. You would also have cooling fan issues like you mentioned. EGR & PURGE issues also. I had tried every way imaginable to make a rational thought regarding FUSE #9, I hadn't included the circuit breakers into the numbering scheme.

I've sent you an email. See if you've received it.

Name:  '92 FUSES.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  180.0 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 10-04-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:26 AM
63belair
Intermediate

Wow im a little lost. It looks like this fuse controls alot.
A/C solinoid- i assume is ok because A/C works
stop lamp cruise brake switch- cruse works
daytime running lights- I dont have these
cooloing fans- work when fuse is replaced
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 AM
63belair
Intermediate

I did replace the TPS before i knew the fuse was blown.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:53 AM
63belair
Intermediate

So as I was trying to diagnose this problem the only way I know…I disconnected the EGR purge solenoid replaced fuse within 1 mile fuse popped,reconnect EGR and disconnect the canister purge solenoid replaced fuse againpopped within 1 mile, reconnect canister and disconnect TPS replace fuse againpopped within 1 mile, reconnect TPS and disconnect ASR fuse popped within 1mile, reconnect ASR and disconnect the throttle position buffer module and thefuse popped again within 1 mile. While I had the throttle position buffermodule out I disassembled it to see what it looked like inside and seen nothingwrong with no sign’s of hot spots of any kind. I reassembled everything and wasthinking how I could actually hear the fuse blow and seemed to always blow whentransitioning from 3rd gear to 4th so I thought I wouldgo drive the car and hold it in drive instead of overdrive. After driving thecar for 5 miles with the only problem being my ASR active light flickeringwhile taking off (I believe is a RR wheel speed sensor) the fuse never popped.So I decided to go again in overdrive and the fuse never blew???? I did not doanything to fix this problem maybe something was not plugged in all the way? NowI decided to step on the gas and when I put it to the floor the Service ASRlight and service ABS light comes on but when I shut the car off and restart itthe lights are gone until I floor it again and the lights reappear but does notblow the fuse. I am very confused could my RR wheel speed sensor cause theseissues?
Old 10-07-2015, 09:52 AM
63belair
Intermediate

So I finally had a chance to pull the codes after clearing them all. I drove about 15 miles this morning and the service ASR light came on then about another mile the service ABS light came on. I continued on at about 65-75 MPH and about 15 miles later the check engine light appered. I figured it popped the fuse again. When I got to work I checked the fuse and it was good. My drive is 62 miles. I pulled the codes and under module 1 I get c-12 Module 4 I get H-27 (EGR solinoid) H-32 (EGR). Module 9 I get H-31 working to see what this is.

Get notified of new replies

To Blowing fuse #9 on 1992 corvette

Quick Reply: Blowing fuse #9 on 1992 corvette