C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Won't start after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 PM
red92vert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 Won't start after replacing battery

92 six speed, 42k, was running great. I replaced the battery because it would no longer hold a charge even with the battery tender. The battery was past it's life (7 years).I inspected and cleaned the terminals, and reconnected. The engine spins great, but won't fire up.
Is there a fuel pump reset or something I'm missing?
Old 10-03-2015, 08:47 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

when you turn the key on without starting do you hear the pump? might have just poped a fuse or bumped the connection on the power block behind the battery. good idea to clean and tighten when you replace the battery.look at the fuseable links while your at it.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 10-03-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:15 AM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

There is no fuel pump reset. You should hear a 2 second prime at key on. If you don't hear the prime, you can run a 12V jumper wire from the + on the battery to terminal G on the ALDL and the fuel pump will run continuously (assuming it's working). If it runs when jumped but doesn't prime at key-on, you need to test for voltage at the relay.

Assuming it does prime for 2 seconds at key on, test fuel pressure on the fuel rail. You should have 38-45 psi, and it should hold for several minutes after the prime shuts off.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:30 PM
red92vert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
There is no fuel pump reset. You should hear a 2 second prime at key on. If you don't hear the prime, you can run a 12V jumper wire from the + on the battery to terminal G on the ALDL and the fuel pump will run continuously (assuming it's working). If it runs when jumped but doesn't prime at key-on, you need to test for voltage at the relay.

Assuming it does prime for 2 seconds at key on, test fuel pressure on the fuel rail. You should have 38-45 psi, and it should hold for several minutes after the prime shuts off.
I have fuel pressure on the rail and I can hear the pump running. Motor spins good and 12.8 volts........but no start. motor ran great before I changed the battery.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:18 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Okay...you have fuel at the rail. Next thing you need to check is SPARK. Pull a plug wire. Put a screw driver into the plug boot hold the handle so the screw driver is about 1/8" away from some metal on the engine and have someone turn the engine over. You should see a spark jump from the screw driver to the engine.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Okay...you have fuel at the rail. Next thing you need to check is SPARK.
Agreed. When a car won't start, what is missing; spark or fuel?

You've somewhat determined that you have fuel...now check the spark.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 11-24-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:07 AM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by red92vert
92 six speed, 42k, was running great. I replaced the battery because it would no longer hold a charge even with the battery tender. The battery was past it's life (7 years).I inspected and cleaned the terminals, and reconnected. The engine spins great, but won't fire up.
Is there a fuel pump reset or something I'm missing?
On my 96 there is the main positive cable....AND three auxillary connections under it,...miss one of em maybe ? It's easy to do...don't ask how I know.

later, tiny

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Won't start after replacing battery

Quick Reply: C4 Won't start after replacing battery