C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

electrical smell

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:33 PM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default electrical smell

Lately, after operating for a few miles, I get an odor of, for lack of a better description, an 'electric' smell. No smoke, and it is proving difficult to pinpoint. I checked the a/c compressor, nothing. I checked the alternator, which is about 3 years old (remanufactured), nothing obvious. I am getting some static and turn signal noise from the speakers for awhile now. Checked all the grounds, they were okay. If I disconnect the alternator, no static. Just wondering if the electrical smell is the alternator's way of telling me it's failing. My first thought was that it was a caliper issue. The smell is similar to the "new pad" smell for the first several miles.

Last edited by vetteboy88; 10-05-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-05-2015, 07:22 PM
charliet615
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Just a suggestion, but check your positive battery cable.. There have been reports of it rubbing against the steering shaft and rubbing the insulation off....Feel underneath the cable for a possible wear spot...
The following users liked this post:
vetteboy88 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 07:39 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by charliet615
Just a suggestion, but check your positive battery cable.. There have been reports of it rubbing against the steering shaft and rubbing the insulation off....Feel underneath the cable for a possible wear spot...
+1 Check the end by the starter. I had a problem there a few years ago.
vetteboy88 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 PM
JD1964
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 110 Posts

Check for fluid leaks. A bit of oil leaking on the exh manifold can smell funny.
vetteboy88 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I get that smell every time the rear defroster gets energized... the tint film gets warm.
vetteboy88 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 11:22 AM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vetteboy88
Lately, after operating for a few miles, I get an odor of, for lack of a better description, an 'electric' smell. No smoke, and it is proving difficult to pinpoint. I checked the a/c compressor, nothing. I checked the alternator, which is about 3 years old (remanufactured), nothing obvious. I am getting some static and turn signal noise from the speakers for awhile now. Checked all the grounds, they were okay. If I disconnect the alternator, no static. Just wondering if the electrical smell is the alternator's way of telling me it's failing. My first thought was that it was a caliper issue. The smell is similar to the "new pad" smell for the first several miles.
Well, took all suggestions, still had the smell. Because it happened only after operating for a few miles, I revisited the possibility of a caliper hanging up. Found out that the right front was dragging and heating up just enough to send out little 'wisps' of smoke, and isolated that as the source of smell. Now to try to find out why it's hanging. Will be checking/cleaning caliper, and replacing brake hose. The fluid in the reservoir also seems a little dark to me, probably boiling in the caliper!
Old 10-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Has the car been parked for a while and not used? Mice like to get in there and create nests and chew up the wiring and such. I dont think its the alternator as you would see gauge indication if anything is wrong internally with the alternator electronics. Are you using the blower motor for heat or AC when you smell the issue ?
Old 10-09-2015, 07:23 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteboy88
Well, took all suggestions, still had the smell. Because it happened only after operating for a few miles, I revisited the possibility of a caliper hanging up. Found out that the right front was dragging and heating up just enough to send out little 'wisps' of smoke, and isolated that as the source of smell. Now to try to find out why it's hanging. Will be checking/cleaning caliper, and replacing brake hose. The fluid in the reservoir also seems a little dark to me, probably boiling in the caliper!
What I have seen is typically the piston corrodes and causes it to stick. Probably easier to just replace the caliper.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:22 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Has the car been parked for a while and not used? Mice like to get in there and create nests and chew up the wiring and such. I dont think its the alternator as you would see gauge indication if anything is wrong internally with the alternator electronics. Are you using the blower motor for heat or AC when you smell the issue ?

Mice are vicious

Be careful, wires lit up very very fast.

Get notified of new replies

To electrical smell

Quick Reply: electrical smell