Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Bose rebuild returns/a discovery

Old 10-06-2015, 09:45 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Default Bose rebuild returns/a discovery

The preamp section of my '86 Bose was cutting out at the head unit and the cassette head has always been a bit out of whack. So I decided to farm the work out.

The deck is back and working well, and since the cassette is now cleaned, demagged, and aligned, I decided to put a couple of old prerecorded cassettes in the car.

Tonight I popped in Chicago's Greatest Hits Vol II and I think that I figured something out. The guys who laid these systems out and set up the EQ of the amps were clearly shooting for making the cassette sound as good as possible. I've really never heard a cassette sound better. My iPod adapter always sounds very "cold" and I have to mess with the EQ on the device excessively. The cassette sounds very warm and tight but not muffled or compressed.

Yeah, I sound crazy but I mean it. The sound was pleasant and felt good on your ears, not like work to listen to. That's how you know if something sounds good- bad sound stresses your ears, good sound invigorates them. That's how I felt.

Last edited by DinoBob; 10-07-2015 at 02:16 AM.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 PM
GILSWHO
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dinobob
the preamp section of my '86 bose was cutting out at the head unit and the cassette head has always been a bit out of whack. So i decided to farm the work out.

The deck is back and working well, and since the cassette is now cleaned, demagged, and aligned, i decided to put a couple of old prerecorded cassettes in the car.

Tonight i popped in chicago's greatest hits vol ii and i think that i figured something out. The guys who laid these systems out and set up the eq of the amos were clearly shooting for making the cassette sound as good as possible. I've really never heard a cassette sound better. My ipod adapter always sounds very "cold" and i have to mess with the eq on the device excessively. The cassette sounds very warm and tight but not muffled or compressed.

Yeah, i sound crazy but i mean it. The sound was pleasant and felt good on your ears, not like work to listen to. That's how you know if something sounds good- bad sound stresses your ears, good sound invigorates them. That's how i felt.
where did you send it?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:51 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

The cassette sounds pretty good on my 91 as well. I have noticed that cassettes left in the sun or heat have definitely suffered degraded sound quality. I actually shake down glove boxes and consoles in the junkyard for cassette tapes. Kind of a mixed lot of religious sermons and blues music. The Cadillacs and Lincolns have the most tapes...younger people cars are much higher tech, lol.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:15 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by GILSWHO
where did you send it?
I'll defer on that for now because of a small but irritating issue for which I am going to request an explanation. If I get a good one I will recommend them but if not I can't. It was not the Dr., I can say that.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:02 PM
vetteboy88
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DinoBob
I'll defer on that for now because of a small but irritating issue for which I am going to request an explanation. If I get a good one I will recommend them but if not I can't. It was not the Dr., I can say that.
To late, but always have trusted the good Dr. Don's

Get notified of new replies

To Bose rebuild returns/a discovery

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bose rebuild returns/a discovery