C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Removing hardware on c4 top

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 03:44 PM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Removing hardware on c4 top

I have a 1989 c4 with a transparent top. The top has a dent in it, and is the same area as the hardware. Is there a guide as how to remove the hardware so I can remove the dent?
Old 10-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

It's hard to comprehend a "dent" in an acrylic top. Most complaints are for cracks when a top is stressed. Are you asking about removing the acrylic top from the aluminum frame for the repair? Do a search (see header above) on "Betaseal U-418". I posted several extensive procedures for those having leaks in their roof or other problems.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:27 PM
HIHO
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
It's hard to comprehend a "dent" in an acrylic top. Most complaints are for cracks when a top is stressed. Are you asking about removing the acrylic top from the aluminum frame for the repair? Do a search (see header above) on "Beta seas U-418". I posted several extensive procedures for those having leaks in their roof or other problems.

Having spent the last 40 years in the plastic business including fabrication of acrylic, it is indeed a " dent". Something impacted the roof panel before I bought the car. My idea was to remove the hardware, heat the dent and bring it back to its original look. Being unsuccessful in doing this I was able to heat the area and from the inside with the aid of a small pry bar push the dent out. The dent was above the hardware area towards the front so it was hard to get to.

Now the bad part, I must have used a little too much force and cracked the acrylic, so I drilled a small hole to stop the crack from spreading, filled the crack with Weld-on 3 and sanded down so you can't feel the crack. I then polished the dent and crack area, but it still can be seen, so now I am going to put a strip of carbon flash vinyl across the width of the panel and back about 6 inches to hide the crack.
It won't be perfect but it should look pretty good.
Thank you for your response.

Last edited by HIHO; 10-15-2015 at 04:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing hardware on c4 top

Quick Reply: Removing hardware on c4 top