I want to "Ask Tadge"...but would like some input

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Default I want to "Ask Tadge"...but would like some input

Every now and then, some questions come up on the C4 forums that are debated but never answered. All we have for some of these topics at this time, is history documented in "Corvette from the Inside", "Heart of the Beast", and "The Newest Corvette, A to Z". Based on quotes from those books, we can speculate on things, but never know for SURE.

"If only one of the engineers from that project could post here!"

Tadge didn't work on the C4, but was instrumental in the design of the C5, which was being developed during the C4's run. In order to properly develop the C5, one would certainly have to be well versed in how the C4 is designed, so that one would know where and how to improve it. What I'm getting at is, that even though Tadge wasn't on the original design team for the C4, I'd suspect that he is knowledgeable enough about it to comment on some aspects of it, in an educated fashion.

I'd like to see if we can "Ask Tadge" something, so that we can all benefit from his knowledge and expertise on the C4 platform. This resource is here, now....it won't be forever. Sometime, all of our resources will be the three books.

Here are some of the "never solved" topics that I can recall and are of interest to me -questions that I'd LOVE to hear an answer to...feel free to add others:

*Why were the CFI ports 1/2 shrouded? For the benefit of the TPI? Or emissions? -That one is likely too early for Tadge, but he was working for GM as early as 1977.
*Why the 4.4 bore center for the LT5?
*Discuss the weakness of the C4 frame structure, and give opinions as to how to augment the thing
*There are others that I'm not thinking of right now. What are they?

In order for a question to be submitted to Tadge, it has to go though a voting process. Most of the "Ask Tadge" voters are C7 owners, so any question fielded by a C4 owner will likely not get voted on....unless a strong showing is made, by C4 forum members.

So first, any one else interested? Could we create a strong effort?

Second, Which question? The ones I listed above? Or something else?
Old 10-19-2015, 04:05 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

These are good questions for Gordon Killebrew. If you get a chance to attend one his seminars then don't miss the opportunity.
A friend of his recorded a lot of his thoughts in several private sessions. She started a company where you could ask her and her staff questions about Corvettes and get answers for an annual fee. They would then go to his data base and find the answers for you.
Unfortunately she overextended her resources and the business went under.
It's too bad that things did not work out and sad that when Gordon passes on a lot of this info will be lost.
Chris Petris also puts on C4 seminars at some of the Corvette shows. He also has a world of knowledge.
I have tried to reach Gordon through a contact of mine to ask him some of the tough questions here on the Forum. Sadly he will not call or e-mail me.
The following 2 users liked this post by corvetteronw:
KYC4 (11-25-2015), tony58 (10-29-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 09:09 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Every now and then, some questions come up on the C4 forums that are debated but never answered. All we have for some of these topics at this time, is history documented in "Corvette from the Inside", "Heart of the Beast", and "The Newest Corvette, A to Z". Based on quotes from those books, we can speculate on things, but never know for SURE.

"If only one of the engineers from that project could post here!"

Tadge didn't work on the C4, but was instrumental in the design of the C5, which was being developed during the C4's run. In order to properly develop the C5, one would certainly have to be well versed in how the C4 is designed, so that one would know where and how to improve it. What I'm getting at is, that even though Tadge wasn't on the original design team for the C4, I'd suspect that he is knowledgeable enough about it to comment on some aspects of it, in an educated fashion.

I'd like to see if we can "Ask Tadge" something, so that we can all benefit from his knowledge and expertise on the C4 platform. This resource is here, now....it won't be forever. Sometime, all of our resources will be the three books.

Here are some of the "never solved" topics that I can recall and are of interest to me -questions that I'd LOVE to hear an answer to...feel free to add others:

*Why were the CFI ports 1/2 shrouded? For the benefit of the TPI? Or emissions? -That one is likely too early for Tadge, but he was working for GM as early as 1977.
*Why the 4.4 bore center for the LT5? From "Heart of the Beast" they did this so they could conceivably put it on the standard SBC block if they wanted. This decision also led to only 375hp instead of the promised 400hp but GM was ok with it.
*Discuss the weakness of the C4 frame structure, and give opinions as to how to augment the thing I personally do not think there is one, buy a C5 or newer. None that are practical anyhow. The structure is flawed because of the targa instead of the t-roof as originally designed. 11th changes are to blame. GM put some band aids on it and did the best they could with the compromised structure.
*There are others that I'm not thinking of right now. What are they?

In order for a question to be submitted to Tadge, it has to go though a voting process. Most of the "Ask Tadge" voters are C7 owners, so any question fielded by a C4 owner will likely not get voted on....unless a strong showing is made, by C4 forum members.

Second, Which question? The ones I listed above? Or something else?
My answers in Red. I own those books as well. All my questions have been answered to most of my satisfaction.

I still wonder why the went from the STIFF spring in the 89-91 Z51 cars in the front to the softer front spring in the 92-95 cars.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:04 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One question I have had is "Why didn't they ever provide an adjustment for ride height for the front spring?"
Old 10-19-2015, 10:12 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
My answers in Red. I own those books as well. All my questions have been answered to most of my satisfaction.

I still wonder why the went from the STIFF spring in the 89-91 Z51 cars in the front to the softer front spring in the 92-95 cars.
They softened the springs to ease complaints about ride quality, squeaks and rattles.

As for the answers in red, I've read that stuff too, but it leaves questions unanswered for me. I know about the T bar removal too. My questions run deeper and are more structurally oriented, I guess.

As for the bore centers, it's doesn't specifically say WHY GM called for the 4.4" centers. You might enjoy THIS READ about the bore centers, Glass slipper makes some great points, IMO...
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

The CFI question interests me as one who has ported the intake with no adverse effects.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

^Same here. Before porting mine, tons of people said it would "kill all low end tq". It did no such thing.

Originally Posted by l98tpi
One question I have had is "Why didn't they ever provide an adjustment for ride height for the front spring?"
Good one!
Old 10-20-2015, 02:19 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by We Gone
The CFI question interests me as one who has ported the intake with no adverse effects.

My modified '84 CFI passes smog with flying colors. My 2-3 full throttle shifts at 4800, and is still pulling hard. Haven't found a safe place to try my 3-4 full throttle shift! (Best not to have the wife in the car when I try this! Not what she calls fun.)

I know, I know, it's still a CFI!!

Old 10-20-2015, 11:43 AM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

my modded cfi pulls and spinn the tires from start and spinn again skifting to second . shifts at 5000 rpm , pulls hard all the way
Old 10-20-2015, 11:46 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

^Same here. Before porting mine, tons of people said it would "kill all low end tq". It did no such thing.

Good one!
lol used to hear the same thing after posting on porting a superram, there goes your torque! Oops gained 48 ft lbs. 3/10 and 3mph in the 1/8
Old 10-20-2015, 12:31 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Good idea, Tom. Some of those decisions were marketing decisions for sure; it would be really nice to have actual engineering reasons. Although personally, I'm not sure how much I could do with the info. For those like you who are looking for some track time etc., I can see a lot of value in it.

If you post any questions for C4s, I'll toss in a vote and hopefully we'll get a response.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
Good idea, Tom. Some of those decisions were marketing decisions for sure; it would be really nice to have actual engineering reasons. Although personally, I'm not sure how much I could do with the info. For those like you who are looking for some track time etc., I can see a lot of value in it.

If you post any questions for C4s, I'll toss in a vote and hopefully we'll get a response.
Awesome! Thanks!
Old 10-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I had a few more ideas for questions; what about some non-gen related questions about various bits of LORE:

*Cooling systems over heat when water is pumped too fast
*"Too low" engine op temp
*"lugging" engines
*Free revving engines
*Others that I'm forgetting?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:05 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

How about hitting the rev limiter/fuel cut off, any long term effects is this what is happening to the new LT4?
Old 10-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by We Gone
How about hitting the rev limiter/fuel cut off, any long term effects is this what is happening to the new LT4?
Good idea there.

What is happening to the LT4...besides temp issues?
Old 10-27-2015, 12:19 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Good idea there.

What is happening to the LT4...besides temp issues?
I've read a few issues with them and the new LT1 when run hard , maybe the new owners did not break them in properly.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I think a general question about the C4 suspension geometries and chassis stiffening is the better bet to get an approved question to him.

Get notified of new replies

To I want to "Ask Tadge"...but would like some input

Old 10-27-2015, 09:24 PM
shawn 84&92
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I would love an "honest" answer on the CFI ports. That was either a big screw up or done intentionally.
The following users liked this post:
KYC4 (11-25-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 09:31 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Good idea. I'll vote for a C4 question
Old 10-28-2015, 11:57 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
These are good questions for Gordon Killebrew. If you get a chance to attend one his seminars then don't miss the opportunity.
A friend of his recorded a lot of his thoughts in several private sessions. She started a company where you could ask her and her staff questions about Corvettes and get answers for an annual fee. They would then go to his data base and find the answers for you.
Unfortunately she overextended her resources and the business went under.
It's too bad that things did not work out and sad that when Gordon passes on a lot of this info will be lost.
Chris Petris also puts on C4 seminars at some of the Corvette shows. He also has a world of knowledge.
I have tried to reach Gordon through a contact of mine to ask him some of the tough questions here on the Forum. Sadly he will not call or e-mail me.
I spent around an hour with Gordon tonight (Wed) at a cruise in at Springfield Tennessee.I always enjoy (listening mostly) and talking with him.Tonight the talk was Corvettes,Bluebirds and children trick or treaters.We had trunk or treat at the cruise in.Gordon had made 100's of little wood bluebirds for the kids to paint.He makes bluebird houses by the 1000's and gives them all away.
He still does seminars and his hands on class(school)at his place in Cross Plains,Tennessee.Also he does trouble shooting by phone.He does charge a small fee for EXPERT consulting.Go to his web site and check it out. www.gordonkillebrew.net
Tony

Quick Reply: I want to "Ask Tadge"...but would like some input