Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 05:17 PM
biker4ever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
Seems to me that this is a dress-up item, and won't enhance
performance any since the throttle body only allows so many
CFM, no matter how many inlets you have. (Not counting a blower, of course)

Nothing wrong with dress-up stuff but I'd make it a lower priority,
doing more essential stuff first. Branden, just my opinion......
Old 11-25-2015, 05:24 PM
biker4ever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if want to go back stock I have a crossfire intake sitting at my shop that will not be using Has 2 tbi on it but don't know what kind of shape they are in
Old 11-25-2015, 06:27 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

IMO stay carb for now. Keep playing with it, enjoy it and drive it, This is not a project worth doing this work to. The carb is an upgrade in more ways than one.
The following users liked this post:
BrandensBeast (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 07:21 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by pologreen1
IMO stay carb for now. Keep playing with it, enjoy it and drive it, This is not a project worth doing this work to. The carb is an upgrade in more ways than one.
Mind telling me how so? I've heard that it gives the engine more potential from multiple people but I don't know how true that is, also heard higher rev range?
Old 11-25-2015, 07:51 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Fuel injection beats carbs hands down.

Fuel injection is :

More reliable.

More consistent in daily driving.

Now this next part is my opinion and I'm sure I will **** someone off but its what I feel.

Fuel injection to carb swap is the way out for those that don't know how to achieve the results with fuel injection.

Heck Ive got a trans am I have switched from carb to fuel injection probably 10 times or more with I know of at least 5 different types of carbs used. I'm not talking models I'm talking types. From Rochester to holley to predator and several more.

Fuel injection when done right is a long term reliable platform that makes proven power. Carburetors work too obviously but the way a given motor behaves is far more consistent from day to day with fuel injection than a carb.

All that said though if the cars running fine now and your ok with the way its working then forget about it for now and concentrate on the other areas to get the car the way you want it for next years driving
Old 11-25-2015, 09:04 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BrandensBeast
Mind telling me how so? I've heard that it gives the engine more potential from multiple people but I don't know how true that is, also heard higher rev range?
AGAIN, my opinion.

Carb on an '84 is an upgrade IF you plan to put a decent intake on, maybe a cam and heads etc. Yes there was one or 2 guys that dedicated tons of time to improve the CFI to make some HP but it was not designed to be performance.

The only reason I see going back to it would be if the car was worth a restore.

The condition of that car is extremely questionable as I stated in your first thread.

Fuel injection is GREAT when it's working 100%. Most people that love it have a god setup or stock stuff, OR they really don't know their car is not running great, which is actually pretty common.

Your car shows signs of possible electrical issues. That might be more of an issue than you want to do with, it may take the wind out of your sails. IMO just keep tinkering, and it's running keep enjoying it.

My car set up is very different than yours and I am fine going back to carb. I have one of the best tuners playing with my car and it's not
something I see hope for, and to put in the Gen 7 accel I have is not worth it to me.

Crowz is right, even if he meant it towards me, people that can't figure it out go to carb. There might be a valid reason your car is carb.

If you have the proper jets in the carb for your elevation and it's tuned right it will be optimized over that "fuel injection" if you really wanted to do it I suggest aftermarket TBI injection it will kill the CFI IF your electronics are up to the task.

All my opinion. In your shoes I'd stay carb and run it. Don't open a hornets nest. It's too early on to do that, I hate to see a young get discouraged or in over his head on a car like this at this point.
BrandensBeast (11-25-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 09:24 AM
L98Justin
Pro

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

My 85 harness was destroyed when i bought it, so i slapped a carb on it and it's been working fine for me for the last year and a half... it's a fun experience (IMO) too learn about carbs, met a few old school racers like Chuck Duffin!

Most of these guys hate the Carb but Branden do what makes it easier on you, These guys mean well with their advice too go back too FI
Old 11-26-2015, 10:05 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Looking at air intakes, as always trying to make things I own/do unique so i'm looking at these, which arent very common. I'm going with a dual air intake because I generally just want to, and I think it will look great on the car, the first link is the one i'd like to go through if it fits under the hood (is going to be VERY close) if not i'd be going with the second link. Thoughts? I'll probably be stubborn about this so theres not really any point in trying to sway my opinion! But go ahead and do so if you want to try haha.
http://www.spectreperformance.com/se....aspx?prod=771
http://www.spectreperformance.com/se....aspx?prod=764
Having a carb, the carb likes 3" or so above it to breath. There is a little science to carb. That piece will work, but you are robbing power if it matters to you.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:08 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Random question but i've looked EVERYWHERE on the internet and have yet to find even any reasonable results, I understand carburetors vary by brand size etc and how they have an impact on the engine, but I can't find any charts or anything resulting in the difference in horsepower/torque improvement/decrease on a 350, what i'm getting at is I want to know what kind of power my corvette is actually making roughly, I most likely will not dyno the car (Yes I understand that's the easiest most reasonable answer to figuring out the horsepower) But until i'm comftorable and trust the car I won't be pushing it near it's limits at all, is the car close to maybe 230 horse now or more or less? That'd be my best guess but it's a shot in the dark since I don't know how a carb impacts the engine in the vette, if anyone can explain or find a good site explaining the change from the crossfire injection to carb horsepower/torque change it'd be MUCH appreciated, not that it matters to much but i'd like to know what my car is actually making roughly. (goodluck finding any info and no I don't think 350's bored to 383 with a carb on it would help me)
600-650 double pumper will support it. Too many people over carb.

You might like this vid too.

Last edited by pologreen1; 11-26-2015 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:53 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

600-650 double pumper will support it. Too many people over carb.

You might like this vid too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XjDq2DcZk0
Watched that video already love the roadkill series and will be following that one aswell.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:54 AM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Hoping everyone has a good and safe thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Hoping everyone has a good and safe thanksgiving!
Happy Thanksgiving Branden!
BrandensBeast (11-26-2015)
Old 11-26-2015, 02:01 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Happy Thanksgiving everyone !
Old 11-26-2015, 02:02 PM
crowz
Melting Slicks

Having a carb, the carb likes 3" or so above it to breath. There is a little science to carb. That piece will work, but you are robbing power if it matters to you.
Totally agree on having enough room above the carbs rim. You will loose a noticeable amount of power if you don't give it enough clearance. Not to mention some funky noises
Old 11-28-2015, 11:01 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Got a little bit done on the vette, it's seen a garage for the the first time since purchase! Got both headlight fixtures on, really liking the look actually, and managed to find OVER 30 bolts/screws that were about 3 full turns from being tightened, slowly finding bolts/screws that match missing places (container of misc bolts we bought) things like the headlight fixture being held in by 2 of the 5 bolts that were supposed to be there, and hood lights that have 4 different matching screws, where the last owner even found stuff to do that is beyond me, that's why some things are cracked because of using the wrong things. Debating painting the mirrors black (they need to be painted anyway) hope everyone got some good black friday deals if they went shopping, willcox sold out of the carpet set I wanted sadly before I bought it, hopefully they get more soon. Used JB weld for the first time, don't care for it really (had to fix a crack in the headlight fixture).
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2015, 11:19 PM
Vetteblack-96
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Painting the mirrors black would match the headlights........but don't paint the glass part....

Last edited by Vetteblack-96; 11-28-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Good to see your lights back together. It's always nice to get something accomplished.

Get notified of new replies

To 1800 Dollar Corvette Build

Old 11-29-2015, 12:04 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Gettin there, headlights done for now, all bolted down instead of being loose and wobbly! passenger door panel is on (still red) forgot to take a picture.
Old 11-29-2015, 12:32 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

looking good Branden!!!!!!
BrandensBeast (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 01:09 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteblack-96
Painting the mirrors black would match the headlights........but don't paint the glass part....

I agree. If the headlights are black, I think the mirror backs should be as well. Good to see the car in a garage now btw.
BrandensBeast (11-29-2015)

Quick Reply: 1800 Dollar Corvette Build