C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

newbie in texas looking for 1st vette

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:35 AM
bjdp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie in texas looking for 1st vette

like the title says looking for our first vette. It will be momma car but i get to work on it. I am looking for any tips on what to look out for when inspecting these vehicles. I have gained some knowledge snooping around in here but always looking for more.
I am not afraid of work I was an auto tech for 13 years professionally and still do a bit.
Always been a camaro guy but the wife wants a vette and who am i to argue.

found a recently painted 86 at a body shop, motor is out but lower end has been machined and reassembled 030 over heads done just needs assymbled but interior needs redone, i think its priced a bit high, but the fresh motor is a plus in my eyes.

anyways im in austin tx
thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 09:41 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by bjdp
like the title says looking for our first vette. It will be momma car but i get to work on it. I am looking for any tips on what to look out for when inspecting these vehicles. I have gained some knowledge snooping around in here but always looking for more.
I am not afraid of work I was an auto tech for 13 years professionally and still do a bit.

found a recently painted 86 at a body shop, motor is out but lower end has been machined and reassembled 030 over heads done just needs assymbled but interior needs redone, i think its priced a bit high, but the fresh motor is a plus in my eyes.

anyways im in austin tx
thanks
Always get the latest one that you can afford. They have made some improvements thru the years. Are you looking for HP? Stock LT1 produces 300 hp. LT4 produces 330 hp without modifications. Good luck hunting as there are many deals on the C4
Old 11-19-2015, 09:49 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

anyways im in austin tx
thanks
Interior parts are expensive, and used good parts are hard to find. But when its all together it is nice!
Old 11-19-2015, 10:26 AM
bjdp
Advanced

Originally Posted by enventr
Always get the latest one that you can afford. They have made some improvements thru the years. Are you looking for HP? Stock LT1 produces 300 hp. LT4 produces 330 hp without modifications. Good luck hunting as there are many deals on the C4
thanks yeah not worried about the hp, can fix that. not a numbers matching person, so no worries there. with that said no intent to butcher the thing either vettes look good stock.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:32 AM
bjdp
Advanced

Originally Posted by ClaudioC4
Interior parts are expensive, and used good parts are hard to find. But when its all together it is nice!

Oh trust me i know i have been looking. thinking i can have the majority of stuff done and be into the ride for under 6000 aside from the nickel and dime stuff, which yeas i know will nickel and dime ya to the poor house.

the interior will have to start with complete removal and deep clean to find out what is usable and what has to be replaced.

i am counting on replacing seatcovers/fine they are cloth and will be going w leather
carpet its saddle interior and i am planing on it just being to worn, replace it all
door panels, drivers side is loose and broken already
seals- door, targa top, hatch, the works

and thats for statrters
Old 11-19-2015, 11:23 AM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Sounds like my car, I went with Iggee seat covers and they fit great, but just this week I scored a set of Collector's Edition seats for $100 in real good condition. I painted the door panels, and interior with Dupli Color interior paint, carpet set from Wilcox and the car was transformed. Patience and diligence will get you where you want to be. I do recommend insulating the body panels once you remove the carpet and pieces it helps with sound and heat.
The following users liked this post:
bjdp (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:28 AM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

Oh trust me i know i have been looking. thinking i can have the majority of stuff done and be into the ride for under 6000 aside from the nickel and dime stuff, which yeas i know will nickel and dime ya to the poor house.

the interior will have to start with complete removal and deep clean to find out what is usable and what has to be replaced.

i am counting on replacing seatcovers/fine they are cloth and will be going w leather
carpet its saddle interior and i am planing on it just being to worn, replace it all
door panels, drivers side is loose and broken already
seals- door, targa top, hatch, the works

and thats for statrters
look at my seat post leather for $249.00

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-19-2015 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:52 AM
steve1657
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaudioC4
Sounds like my car, I went with Iggee seat covers and they fit great, but just this week I scored a set of Collector's Edition seats for $100 in real good condition. I painted the door panels, and interior with Dupli Color interior paint, carpet set from Wilcox and the car was transformed. Patience and diligence will get you where you want to be. I do recommend insulating the body panels once you remove the carpet and pieces it helps with sound and heat.
How do you like the Iggee seat covers ? Do you have the simulated leather or neoprene ? Hows the overall feel. Standard or sport? I like the price and my leathers are in good condition, I just do not like the color so seems easier to cover than replace. Sorry to be a PITA, do you have any pics. I'm sure the OP will have interest too

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:14 PM
bjdp
Advanced

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
look at my seat post leather for $249.00
just actually found that thanks
Old 11-19-2015, 01:28 PM
ClaudioC4
Racer

Originally Posted by steve1657
How do you like the Iggee seat covers ? Do you have the simulated leather or neoprene ? Hows the overall feel. Standard or sport? I like the price and my leathers are in good condition, I just do not like the color so seems easier to cover than replace. Sorry to be a PITA, do you have any pics. I'm sure the OP will have interest too

Thank you.
I have the simulated leather, they look great feel good, more of a vinyl feel. But very happy with the fit and form of the cover. I have them in standard seats.
The following users liked this post:
steve1657 (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 03:49 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You might consider a $20.00 investment to assist you in choosing your C4.

The Corvette Black Book is a wealth of information on what changed from year to year during the long run of C4's (and all other corvettes)

http://corvetteblackbook.com/books/corvette-black-book

You can usually find this at amazon for 19.95.

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 11-19-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:11 PM
bjdp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
You might consider a $20.00 investment to assist you in choosing your C4.

The Corvette Black Book is a wealth of information on what changed from year to year during the long run of C4's (and all other corvettes)

http://corvetteblackbook.com/books/corvette-black-book

You can usually find this at amazon for 19.95.
yeah i get the changes more interested in problem areas and so on like on 1985 had issue with holes forming in passenger floorboard and so on, just an example not ******* 85s
Old 11-20-2015, 04:09 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

yeah i get the changes more interested in problem areas and so on like on 1985 had issue with holes forming in passenger floorboard and so on, just an example not ******* 85s
Well then all I can offer you is that I am not aware of any "common problems" with the 95 C4 based on 10 years and 100K miles
Old 11-20-2015, 04:14 PM
bjdp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
Well then all I can offer you is that I am not aware of any "common problems" with the 95 C4 based on 10 years and 100K miles
like to hear them kinda things
thanks
Old 11-20-2015, 04:19 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

anyways im in austin tx
thanks
I'm in the Austin area... If you want to meet a lot of people involved with Corvettes check out Longhorn Corvette Club.

http://longhorncorvette.com/

There are quite a few C4s on Austin Craigslist. I recently bought a 1989 from a guy up in Round Rock.

As others have said, and I can tell you from experience with my C3 and my previous C4 (a 1984), restoring an interior can be more work and expense than engine.

Last edited by softwarejanitor; 11-20-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:23 PM
bjdp
Advanced

Originally Posted by softwarejanitor
I'm in the Austin area... If you want to meet a lot of people involved with Corvettes check out Longhorn Corvette Club.

http://longhorncorvette.com/

There are quite a few C4s on Austin Craigslist. I recently bought a 1989 from a guy up in Round Rock.

As others have said, and I can tell you from experience with my C3 and my previous C4 (a 1984), restoring an interior can be more work than engine.
ok and thanks and always looking to meet new people
Old 11-20-2015, 05:53 PM
softwarejanitor
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ok and thanks and always looking to meet new people
Are you looking for a Coupe or Convertible? Any particular color preferences? Or open minded to whatever? What's the price range you have in mind?

Get notified of new replies

To newbie in texas looking for 1st vette

Old 11-21-2015, 08:44 PM
bjdp
Advanced

ok so the wife has a new to her vette
92 auto targa top 138000 miles
she is joining forum and look for follow up pics and post
Old 11-23-2015, 02:39 PM
92VetteGirl
Cruising