C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 Windshield Trim

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 10:39 PM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 1986 Windshield Trim

I have a 1986 coupe. A rock hit my windshield and now I have a crack. My insurance company will cover it fully. I wanted to know how hard is the trim around the windshield to remove? Is the trim still available new?

thanks...
Old 11-20-2015, 04:16 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Originally Posted by rrt898
I have a 1986 coupe. A rock hit my windshield and now I have a crack. My insurance company will cover it fully. I wanted to know how hard is the trim around the windshield to remove? Is the trim still available new?

thanks...
Hasn't been available new for quite some time. An '86 I'd think the weather-strip would be a "MUST" - what vendor to use? I've no idea.

You DO NOT want an inexperienced installer BUT in defense of the "young" - we all had a "first" experience. Don't take for granted when the shop says "no problem" - question them.

There's several good threads I've seen through the years mentioning trim removal. Several. Some I believe have mentioned w-s vendor.

Do your search from here using the "search this forum" above the "THREADS" & "POSTS" buttons, that will get you all C4 community sub-forum results.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-1984-1996-19/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-20-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 05:38 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have an NOS weather strip for sale in the FS section.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:12 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm pretty sure, and you may know this, that the weatherstrip that seals the side windows and the top needs to be removed in order to access the trim that you see on the windshield. The visible windshield trim that is around the windshield is sandwiched under the weatherstrip retainers for the weatherstrip. The windshield is just bonded to the frame with adhesive. An experienced glass shop would need to replace this weatherstrip which is an extra piece. There is probably nothing wrong with your trim other than it being faded. If you could get your hands on it and clean it and paint it before putting it back together it would look cleaner. The windshield installer needs these pieces immediately after the windshield is bonded to the frame to set the windshield height from the frame. But it can be painted after the windshield is installed. It's been awhile since I've had this trim off and I'm working from memory.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-21-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:52 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Default windshield trim

I know the trim is not available from GM anymore. I will give you a short recap of what happened to me with Safelite auto glass. My former insurance company had a contract with them to do their glass work. I filed the claim and they called me and made an appointment.
This young man showed up with the new windshield and the new a-pillar weather-strip. The A-Pillar weather-strip was automatically included with the job. Their Technician had not ever worked on a c4 and began bending and tearing up the black trim around the windshield. I told him that he would have to reuse it and he said no I would have to get new. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot get that off with out destroying it. I removed the trim myself and straightened what he had bent up and reused it. It was not hard but you have to take your time and not bend or break the trim. As mentioned above not every glass company has worked on c4s so make sure they really know what to do. Safelite charged $900.00 for the job in 2012. Good luck with the replacement.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:18 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by zachaeous
I know the trim is not available from GM anymore. I will give you a short recap of what happened to me with Safelite auto glass. My former insurance company had a contract with them to do their glass work. I filed the claim and they called me and made an appointment.
This young man showed up with the new windshield and the new a-pillar weather-strip. The A-Pillar weather-strip was automatically included with the job. Their Technician had not ever worked on a c4 and began bending and tearing up the black trim around the windshield. I told him that he would have to reuse it and he said no I would have to get new. Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot get that off with out destroying it. I removed the trim myself and straightened what he had bent up and reused it. It was not hard but you have to take your time and not bend or break the trim. As mentioned above not every glass company has worked on c4s so make sure they really know what to do. Safelite charged $900.00 for the job in 2012. Good luck with the replacement.
Why? Just had it done by Safelite in May and they charged $450. They reused the trim and gave me a cheap a pillar weather stripping. I complained and they purchased a Wilcox stripping and I installed it.

Last edited by Cruisinfanatic; 11-21-2015 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:33 PM
chevyman_ky
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

my ins. replaced my windshield about 2 weeks ago, done be safelite. tech said he had been doing this since 81 took him about 2 hours. replaced weather-strip and top trim bill was 520.00
Old 11-21-2015, 09:52 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruisinfanatic
Why? Just had it done by Safelite in May and they charged $450. They reused the trim and gave me a cheap a pillar weather stripping. I complained and they purchased a Wilcox stripping and I installed it.
I asked why the large charge also and the home office for Safelite told me it was a contract price with the insurance company I had at the time. I did get them to drop the 100.00 deductible I was to pay. It was a total rip off. I have installed windshields myself in a 1959, 1966, 1968 and all three did not cost that much together although that was in the later 70s. This particular insurance company has since went out of the personal automotive line and I understand why.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:38 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

A C4 windshield is not replaced in the same manner as most cars. The trim does not pop off to expose the glass. The outer windshield weatherstrip around the windshield frame that seals the top and windows needs to be removed. This involves pulling out the weatherstrip to expose the phillips screws that are usually filled with adhesive. After the screws are removed the weatherstrip retainers can be peeled away from the frame since they are also attached with adhesive strips or liquid adhesive. Next the windshield trim that was held down by the weatherstrip retainers is removed. They are attached to the frame with adhesive strips or urethane adhesive and need to be pulled off the frame to expose the windshield glass. This needs to be done without bending or damaging the windshield trim. If these parts were previously glued on with urethane it is a real chore to remove without damaging the trim. The glass is removed with knives or other tools and then the adhesive bed is trimmed down. A new adhesive bed, typically urethane, is applied and the windshield is installed. The windshield trim must be immediately installed while the windshield adhesive is curing to set the glass height from the frame so the trim fits flat on the windshield. The windshield trim must be attached to the frame with adhesive strips or liquid adhesive while the windshield is curing. Next, the outer windshield weatherstrip retainers are attached with adhesive strips or liquid adhesive and then screwed to the frame. Next, the outer rubber weatherstrip is then installed and glued into the retainers. This is a very tedious job and is only done correctly one time and by someone who is experienced at it. I wouldn't have just any glass shop do this without them having a complete understanding of the task. It's not really a do it yourself job either unless you have the proper tools, adhesive, skill and patience. It's no wonder it's an expensive job.

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-22-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:06 AM
rrt898
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks everyone for the information. I already purchased my own weather strip. My insurance company let me choose any installer. I found one that I feel comfortable with. $495
Old 11-24-2015, 07:11 AM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyman_ky
my ins. replaced my windshield about 2 weeks ago, done be safelite. tech said he had been doing this since 81 took him about 2 hours. replaced weather-strip and top trim bill was 520.00
2 hours?? If he took 2 hrs on a C4, he took a lot of shortcuts. It takes 2 hours just to do the A Pillar weatherstrip unless it's not glued in

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Windshield Trim

Quick Reply: 1986 Windshield Trim