C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Digress or progress?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Digress or progress? THAT IS THE QUESTION

Coming up against a sort of hard question to myself and thought Id run it by you guyz, however the end result is upon me.

Already have a nice 92 C4 but have been lusting after a early C5, the ones Im seeing in my price range have around or under 100K miles.

To confuse the issue Ive been looking at some real nice low mileage "RED" early C4s that have a doable asking price. So the delima is go with a mid/high mileage C5 for over my budget or go with something like a 87 with 24K miles. BTW I like the C4 cuzz of the body style, round tail lights and the cockpit is larger for big guys like myself.

:

Last edited by lectroglide; 11-20-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:13 PM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Why 2 c4"s? A c5 is not a c4 at all. Drive some c5's and if you like them sell yours and get a better one.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:31 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by pologreen1
Why 2 c4"s? A c5 is not a c4 at all. Drive some c5's and if you like them sell yours and get a better one.
Ive driven a C5 and they seem to fit well, BTW am trying to sell my 92 C4 so am referring to my next vette, remember not everybodys rich or wants to go into debt
Old 11-20-2015, 07:38 PM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

C5 is a totally different car. Easier to get in and out of, quicker, handles better etc. Then you have the big plus of having an LS motor. I personally want a C5Z. But I would like to keep my C4 as well. I just like the feeling of having a cockpit almost like a fighter jet. That's what the C4 feels like.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:03 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
C5 is a totally different car. Easier to get in and out of, quicker, handles better etc. Then you have the big plus of having an LS motor. I personally want a C5Z. But I would like to keep my C4 as well. I just like the feeling of having a cockpit almost like a fighter jet. That's what the C4 feels like.
easier to get in/out ? agreed, but Ive learned to enter and exit the C4, so its no big deal but I know what ya mean about the bottom door sill, like I said a lot depends on price condition and location

Last edited by lectroglide; 11-20-2015 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

You know what you have with your current car, no telling with a new one with 100k plus.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:57 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

The seat/str wheel/ pedal relationship is awkward in my opinion in the Z06 c5s. The cars really need a pedal height adjustment mechanism like in the older dodge vipers (maybe the new ones too). This is less of an issue in the standard coupes that have the telescopic steering column. Other than that, I love the c5 cars.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:57 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

My favorite body style has also been the C3. That is why I bought one 15 years ago. Except for cosmetics its about done how I want it. Now I own a C4 and that is the newest I will go. Though the body style is different, its not far off. I can park my C3 next to my C4 and I feel they look like they are in the same family. My opinion is you should stay as close to old school as possible and get the 87. The C5 and newer though beautiful vettes start to lose the same body style.

Dont get me wrong, I would take a C5,C6,or C7 in a heart beat.
Old 11-21-2015, 07:50 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I also was thinking about adding a C5 to my stable..From what I have learned, the problem with C5s isn't the motor with 100,000 miles, the motors should last many more miles then that , it's all the electronics in a car that are 11 to 18 years old..The more complicated the car, the more there is to go wrong...If you don't have money to buy a low mile C5, you may be better off waiting until you do..Also most older C5s have had numerous owners ( sometimes 5 or 6) and the chances are greater the car has been ( beat on ) pretty good.The big question is "can you do the work on the car yourself"?? If you have to pay for repairs you had better have deep pockets....This is just my opinion, but it should give you something to think about...Good Luck....WW

Last edited by WW7; 11-21-2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:20 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

The reliability of a 100k mile C5 is a lot better than a low mile 80's C4 if you are planning to drive it a lot....for one thing, its a lot newer. Most of the "gremlins" in a C5 were solved by 2001. Most people would say the C5 cockpit is larger, that's what gives the C4 its "sportscar feel". Buy what you like, but you may want to drive a few C5s, and get some first hand knowledge.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:34 AM
DanielRicany
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

C5s drive like Caddys I think. C4 feels like a traditional sports car. C5 feels roomier. C5s are faster, handle better, everything feels more modern but to be honest it's really up to the person buying it. I would take either or, I like them both equally. Drive both and make your decision from there. Don't just look at it, drive it around for a good 10-15 minutes each before deciding. You might not be able to decide at all. Lol.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:35 AM
MrRenoman
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I've owned a C4 and loved it. I sold it in 2005 and bought a pewter '98 C5 convertible with a 6 spd. on Ebay. Since I work on these cars I've had my old C4 back in my shop. I still love the C4 especially my old one. Yes the C4 has a high sill. I'm 62 and I still find my C5 a pain to get out of. The doors are so long you really need a lot of room to swing it open and you still need to push or pull yourself out. The C5 has more power, looks great, handles nice and I think the body style is nicer than the newer ones. I like them both. I think the deciding factor is your cash situation and the opportunities available for a C5 at the moment. Most used cars can't be financed unless you buy from a lot at a high interest and/or trade it in. Selling your C4 may require you come up with another $4 to $8K to move into a early C5. I don't regret buying the C5, it's been a very reliable car. Aside from fluids, and tires, I've only had to replace the starter as far as maintenance goes and it has 140K miles now. I've put 55K miles on it since 2005. I installed an air intake and exhaust system, C6 wheels and vent screens but other than that it's been a good car. I've been thinking of selling it. Good luck with your decision. BTW, one of the cars in my shop is an '85 auto with 71K, new late model red paint, bronze interior, very clean and unmolested, and is for sale. Not sure what the owner wants for it and I can't advertise it for sale in the sale section due to forum rules.
There's deals out there, here's one from my local Craigslist...hope I don't get the moderator on me.
https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/5293317705.html

Art

Last edited by MrRenoman; 11-21-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:29 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by riversidedan1
So the delima is go with a mid/high mileage C5 for over my budget or go with something like a 87 with 24K miles.
Originally Posted by pologreen1
pologreen1 nailed it there^. You need to drive both. Buy the one that suits you best.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 AM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I agree, you need to drive some cars to see what you like the best.

I have had C4's and C5's. They are different.

The C5's have a better frame/suspension, the LS motors, more interior space (especially the passenger footwell area that my wife likes), a lot more useable hatch/trunk space, better mpg, etc.

The C4's feel different. They are a little more "raw" and feel like a sports car. I love the hood opening. Some maintenance items are easier like clutch work.

Both generations have some problems too such as parts that are no longer available, but I give the edge to the C4 since the early C5's have things like the ECBM and SWPS that are no longer available except for used (overpriced) parts. In '01 and later cars there are better parts availability for these though.

I am used to getting in and out of the C4's and to me it seems easier than the C5's, but everyone is different. See what works for you.

Good luck with your choices.
Old 11-23-2015, 10:35 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Call me crazy, but I just like the styling of the late c4 better than the C5, or the C6, or C7 for that matter.

Absolutely regret selling mine the way I did. The engine was showing it's miles with metal in the oil, and I just didn't have the time or resources, so I let it go to a forum member. Kick myself every day over this one.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:51 PM
lectroglide
Pro

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Call me crazy, but I just like the styling of the late c4 better than the C5, or the C6, or C7 for that matter.

Absolutely regret selling mine the way I did. The engine was showing it's miles with metal in the oil, and I just didn't have the time or resources, so I let it go to a forum member. Kick myself every day over this one.
I too like the body lines of a C4, and really like how wide the C5 back ends are
but not too crazy about the front end lines, mechanically speaking, is a diffrent can of worms

Last edited by lectroglide; 11-24-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:09 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by riversidedan1
I too like the body lines of a C4, and really like how wide the C5 back ends are
but not too crazy about the front end lines, mechanically speaking, is a diffrent can of worms
That's for certain. The Corvette has of course, from one generation to the next, become faster, smoother, more responsive and competitive, no doubt. While I can't really speak from experience of the later gen's, I can say that after the cam swap, and the Z51 shocks on my LT4, I really, really love the visceral feel that car had when driving it. It felt more like I was wearing the car as opposed to driving it. From everything I gather, that is one attribute that is unique to the C4.

Last edited by lt4obsesses; 11-24-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:38 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

At the end of the day, it really comes down to your own preference. The C5 has a lot going for it - not only newer but it was an improvement in a lot of qualities over the C4 - but it really comes down to what YOU want, which gen you prefer, and what you can afford.

Get notified of new replies

To Digress or progress?????

Quick Reply: Digress or progress?????