C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Putting the C4 on jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Putting the C4 on jackstands

Hi folks! Just recently purchased a low profile 3ton jack and a jack cross beam from Harbor Freight. Ok, I can already hear the snickering, and Chinese junk comments. Yes, you're probably right, but I figured I couldn't go wrong with this stuff, at the price. Anyway, on to my point. I'd like to put my '96 up on jack stands, all four corners. I figured this would be the easiest way. The cross beam extends to 37", which puts the outside edges of the rubber pads directly under the points for the factory supplied tire changing jack. My question, has anyone out there used this, or something similar to this, to lift their car to put it up on stands? Haven't tried it yet, yes I'm being chicken, but I'd like to get some feedback prior to proceeding. Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2015, 09:27 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Received 578 Likes on 555 Posts

I have the same jack works great so far. how much was that other thing? if your getting under the car I always use wood cribbing under the tires. becareful with jack stands so you don't flip it off when raiseing the 0ther side
Old 11-21-2015, 09:35 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what is wood cribbing? and why would you put it under the tires?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:43 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

Put your jack directly below the mirror on the pinch rail, that is slightly farther back than the
marked locations. It will lift the car level. Put the stands under it and repeat on the other
side. That jack attachment isn't a bad thing, but its not needed and it may not even fit
under the car.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:55 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
what is wood cribbing? and why would you put it under the tires?
wood at right angles and for safety I found a freind under a car it got my attention!!!! you can put it on under the frame too. but with jackstands I still put it under the tires.

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-21-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:57 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benny42
Put your jack directly below the mirror on the pinch rail, that is slightly farther back than the
marked locations. It will lift the car level. Put the stands under it and repeat on the other
side. That jack attachment isn't a bad thing, but its not needed and it may not even fit
under the car.
I've already done a trial. It fits under the car like a charm.

Last edited by GRKLGHTNG; 11-21-2015 at 10:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-21-2015, 09:58 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

That dual post jack lift should get your car up even on one side, go around and do the other side. Just go slow. I'm glad I don't have to do the floor jack thing anymore.

This is the way to go.

I bought the optional rolling jack.<br/><br/>I'm in heaven.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:00 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I have the same jack works great so far. how much was that other thing? if your getting under the car I always use wood cribbing under the tires. becareful with jack stands so you don't flip it off when raiseing the 0ther side
The lifting beam was $32 with a coupon, $40 regularly. Yeah, what is wood cribbing?
Old 11-21-2015, 10:03 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

I love that!!!! how many times have you hit your head getting out? had2hav2

Last edited by antfarmer2; 11-21-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:09 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by antfarmer2
I love that!!!! how many times have you hit your head getting out? had2hav2
Zero times. Going from one side to the other without a car underneath is another problem.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:09 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

under the car.
I hate to ask, because you've probably done it, but have you actually lifted your car using that method. I've read about it in a couple of other places, just a little leery about trying it. Sounds crazy, but I have visions of the car buckling over the jack saddle
Old 11-21-2015, 10:14 PM
antfarmer2
Race Director

Originally Posted by GRKLGHTNG
I hate to ask, because you've probably done it, but have you actually lifted your car using that method. I've read about it in a couple of other places, just a little leery about trying it. Sounds crazy, but I have visions of the car buckling over the jack saddle
I have done it this way too but use my cribbing jackstands can flip.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:38 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
That dual post jack lift should get your car up even on one side, go around and do the other side. Just go slow. I'm glad I don't have to do the floor jack thing anymore.

This is the way to go.

I bought the optional rolling jack.<br/><br/>I'm in heaven.
That's really sweet Good for you, and God bless Unfortunately, I don't have the funds, or the high ceiling garage either, yet Until then, it's a jack, and stands, and lots of rolling on the garage floor
Old 11-21-2015, 10:55 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Just jack the sucker up and don't worry about it.

If you want to be concerned about somthing then let it be what happens after you have it on stands. Personally I put 6x6 blocks stacked two at a time under the control arms just in case the one in a million chance my number is up and a jackstand is going to fail.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 11-21-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Benny42
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 83 Posts

3 C4s in my driveway and ALL are lifted that way. I do it all the time. It was a bit
scary the first time or 2, but i can have one of these in the air in 2 minutes flat.
These cars are WAY stiffer than you think. Try it.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:01 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

3 C4s in my driveway and ALL are lifted that way. I do it all the time. It was a bit
scary the first time or 2, but i can have one of these in the air in 2 minutes flat.
These cars are WAY stiffer than you think. Try it.
I totally agree.
Old 11-21-2015, 11:20 PM
GRKLGHTNG
Instructor

Ok guys, I'll give it a try. Do I need to do anything so I don't break or crack the body lip at the bottom of rocker panel?

Get notified of new replies

To Putting the C4 on jackstands

Old 11-21-2015, 11:38 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Ok guys, I'll give it a try. Do I need to do anything so I don't break or crack the body lip at the bottom of rocker panel?
No but the jack goes under the body seam directly adjacent to the rocker panel and not under the rocker panel itself. It is actually marked with two little arrows and says "jack here". If I remember correctly the brake lines are directly inboard of the body seam so if your jack has four raised points on the jack pad be sure that one or more of them does not contact the lines. Besides that you have nothing to worry about.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:35 AM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

That's really sweet Good for you, and God bless Unfortunately, I don't have the funds, or the high ceiling garage either, yet Until then, it's a jack, and stands, and lots of rolling on the garage floor
Been there done that for 40 years, using jack stands, pulled a 350 motor out of a C3 on jack stands. Just letting you know that things can get better.
I'm on your side.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

On the stiff frame point I have found that the car will actually jack up completely on one side when you lift it at the jack points on the front. When I am not specifically working on the back I place both the stands on that side at the same time. You have to be careful when you position the jack cup under the jacking point because you can catch the rocker with the cup and damage it. Also be mindful of where you intend to place the jack stand and orient the jack accordingly. I usually put mine on the pinch weld inboard closer to the engine. What you are working on will also be a factor so keep that in mind and not place the stands in your way. Once you raise it up a few times you will start to see where the best places are to put things.

As always chock your wheels and be careful!!! Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
GRKLGHTNG (04-02-2016)

Quick Reply: Putting the C4 on jackstands