Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New to Vette have 89 race car ?

Old 11-21-2015, 09:54 PM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Vette have 89 race car ?

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:55 AM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Man, it sounds like you've got your hands full with this one.

Since you apparently know your way around a toolbox the first thing you should consider is a factory service manual and electrical supplement.

Then just take one thing at a time. If there's a club in your area consider joining it or finding somebody close with the same year C4 that you can view to see what's supposed to go where.

I would first work on getting the engine running right. There's so many variables but fuel injectors seem to pop up as a problem quite often, especially after a long period of sitting.

If you need any pics I have an 89, will try to send you any you might need.

Rick

Last edited by shootnstarz; 11-22-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,261 Likes on 1,446 Posts

if u r planning on pushing through this, u have timing covered, next verify fuel pressure conditions with key on, while cranking, while running, and while stomping gas and leakdown, then compression test engine and pressure test cooling system via rad cap.

if those check out then the rest can be fixed, we can help.

A general comment, after having almost completed a similar "basic restore". (as in restoring to operational condition) my suggestion is to create a simple roadmap for the job and utilize a scanner to give you the heads up if you need to replace any sensors by looking at the output values from the sensor.

that way, you dont do what i did, and remove the throttle body 4 seperate times. rather, just do it once and change all faulty sensors in one go.

Also, ive learned that if you order your parts online in one big order they waive shipping fees you can save alot. like 50%.

Anyway, sounds like this isnt your first rodeo so i am far less experienced than you. im just finishing mine up and am in the "next time ill do it more efficiently" frame of mind.

cheers and look fwd to your rebuild thread with pics if you do it.

Last edited by VikingTrad3r; 11-22-2015 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:42 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

Does not sound like a race car to me. Just an old car someone started playing with and not major problems you mention so far. Someone else with much more knowledge will answer your questions I'm sure, but...I'd say address all the items on your list and then narrow it down to adjustments in the fuel injection and ignition, possible computer stuff after that.

You mentioned:
-timing
-vacuum leak
-shorty headers leaking
-lack of 02 sensor (it's fuel injected right?)
-fan wire
-coolant wire
-Injectors (not checked)
-spark plugs (not checked)

Stick or Auto?
Is the tune messed with?
Is there heads and cam?

Last edited by pologreen1; 11-22-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 AM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:07 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by loopydodo
New guy with a headache of 1989

Traded into car, got it from undercover Po Po car may have been a drug seizure at some point ?

Car sat for a wile possibly in impound, leather seats looked toasted now cheaply re covered by novice that got tired of sticking self with long needle and tie-ing knots to hold material in place

A lot of work was done, recent exhaust off shorty headers (that leak) with no 02 sensor and a lot of new bushings in the rear

Pollution pump removed and A/C bypassed by shorter (smaller) belt and alt bracket

Looking over things the temp gauge always shows low and the low coolant light is off and on, service engine light is the same and last owner had someone redo key and security stuff (said he had problems and had it fixed) at times has had me wondering. I have been removing quick splice and wiring bird nest

I can see the 3 wire sensor at the rear of the intake (took dist cap off) but no sign of 1 wire coolant temp sensor that should read 330 when grounded

Dist cap and rotor look OK and it has Ford racing spark plug wires that the headers have not melted yet, the front fan wire melted and will turn fan on when grounded, I hooked up with alligator clip and sensor works

Car had both orange and green coolant in radiator, changed yesterday flushing the system out concerned about blown head gasket, seemed fine but got something wet and the car refused to do more than idle till dry

I say the idle is up and down and backfires when you get on it driving

Timing at 6 before with wire unplugged

So many things unhooked I have yet to find a vacuum leak, vacuum gauge dose not jump or seem to show a vacuum leak

I have yet to pull a plug or check injectors, headers take the fun out of getting to plugs 7-8 not sure I can do compression test with headers on

I may need to check for burnt - cracked valves but it runs more like the computer is off, not getting all of the needed information from stuff like 02 sensor (no place on headers) or some other sensor

I call this thing a race car because of the 40s on front and bald 30s on back (rubber band tires) and the Alpine CD player that is loud enough to **** off the neighbors playing in the yard you can hardly hear at 55 mph

I have looked for info and come back to this site more than others for info but have yet to find my gremlin

Idle is up and down

Stomp the gas at 55 and it backfires spits and sputters but not all the time

Temp sensor not sending needed info ? Needed sensor unplugged ?
Since you didn't mention them, at least your headlamps work.

Congrats!

There is definitely a method to ingress/egress with the C4. When you get it right, it's easy. I found out last week that the technique is different (not just opposite) for the passenger seat. Ouch.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:10 PM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Renfield
Drifting

I rebuilt both headlights with new ? plastic bushings ?

Both head lamp flippers where on one wire, I have no idea what I am doing so it burnt the relay when I plugged it up after rebuild

I patched it back together and it lasted 2 flips and I have yet to get back into it

you hit a sore spot, I had almost forgotten this problem

*** in 1st try not to break glass top, grab "something" - shift *** right, pick up one leg at a time and wonder how I got near this ride as tall and fat as I am, wondering if there is an XXX size seat option

Getting out I have not broken anything yet but I feel sure the clowns at the circus look better getting out of the little car under the big top, see me and wonder WTF was that guy thinking, , , as I limp away from the shiny black toy

It's all about sticking the dismount.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Renfield
Drifting

This might help. Over 1,500 reviews with 4.5 stars.

Amazon.com: Stander HandyBar - Automotive Standing Aid +  Vehicle Emergency Escape Tool with Window Breaker and Seat Belt Cutter: Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Stander HandyBar - Automotive Standing Aid + Vehicle Emergency Escape Tool with Window Breaker and Seat Belt Cutter: Health & Personal Care

I do right foot in first.

Karen and I are both 6 ft. The sight of us getting out of my old car (Miata) at the grocery store caused a woman in an SUV to stop, gawk, and comment on the imagery. She said it looked like a clown car routine.

Sorry to read that you didn't get one of the six C4 'Vettes Chevy produced in the entire twelve year run with working headlamps.

Old 11-23-2015, 02:04 PM
shootnstarz
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I rebuilt both headlights with new ? plastic bushings ?

Both head lamp flippers where on one wire, I have no idea what I am doing so it burnt the relay when I plugged it up after rebuild

I patched it back together and it lasted 2 flips and I have yet to get back into it

you hit a sore spot, I had almost forgotten this problem

*** in 1st try not to break glass top, grab "something" - shift *** right, pick up one leg at a time and wonder how I got near this ride as tall and fat as I am, wondering if there is an XXX size seat option

Getting out I have not broken anything yet but I feel sure the clowns at the circus look better getting out of the little car under the big top, see me and wonder WTF was that guy thinking, , , as I limp away from the shiny black toy

Yep, I'm 6'3" and 275lbs, it's quite comical seeing me ingress and egress. Club president is really amused by it.

Rick
Old 11-23-2015, 02:26 PM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:12 AM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:44 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I sure hope you are not a Mustang person who is messing with the C4 people.
Anyway, I will offer my $.02.
Purchase a set of these:http://www.vetteheaders.com/modified...vette-headers/ or buy used from a Corvette salvage yard such as www.vette2vette.com or advertise for a set in the C4 Parts For Sale Section here.
Buy the DVD set of the Field Service Manual (FSM) for your year off eBay.
Do a compression check, leak down test and a tune up with the proper parts and make sure the distributor is not one tooth off.
The FSM will help you diagnose your problems.
You might also post up your location and ask if there is someone in your area who might like to help you out.
You can also check the above-listed resources to find a set of used wheels/tires that will properly fit your car.
Good luck mate and let us know the results. Oh - post up some pics!
Old 12-15-2015, 01:56 AM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:39 PM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:15 PM
loopydodo
Heel & Toe

27 year old car known to be high maintenance

All mechanics not capable of spending needed time to find core or root problems

Possible money pit to those not mechanically inclined and you will understand when the wrecker driver asks "what are you driving" and your reply doubles the bill

If you buy or trade into a problem car understand the average mechanic knows little to nothing about the many problems and or odd ways a 1989 C4 Corvette may act with a bad ECM - PCM or brain

The car will run fine without a lot of the stuff hooked up, plugged in or broken but keep in mind it all had a function when designed

If your going to keep one up you must take it out and drive it

Pressure washing the motor is a no no

If your problems are random and leave you stranded start with the brain (ECM - PCM) and understand they are all rebuilt and it may take several transplants

then

put a fuel pump in as it may run fine until hot and leave you stranded. Understand both may test fine and have you pulling your hair out looking for other problems that come and go like a ghost or gremlin

Look for cut, broken and or melted wires before you start buying parts you may not need

Remember the average mechanic will not spend 30 days and nights with nothing better to do than learn the odd things these cars can do and will tell you you need , , , , , knowing their pay is by the job or parts put on

If you are on a first name basis with the shop service writer and have read all of the magazines in the waiting area, everything has been replaced and like so many others before you, you park the car when it is finally fixed and only pull it out to wash it and let it sit in the front yard to dry looking all shiny and cool

Know you are the proud owner of the American dream and if it leaves the yard a potential nightmare

Last edited by loopydodo; 12-16-2015 at 05:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To New to Vette have 89 race car ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to Vette have 89 race car ?